Memory impairment finally pays off

Poetry Pages members' lounge. Any topic welcome within propriety guidelines.

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Memory impairment finally pays off

Post by MJPease » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:14 am

Hello All, Long time no type. As you all know I have never been short on personal medical trials and tribulations. I have been having a difficult time with short term memory. Physicians at the VA recommended me for testing. The results were severe. I have begun cognitive training in order to improve my situation. As part of my training the VA supplied me with a new IPad Air 2. If that's not enough, after showing my speech therapist the Page's. She has recommended that I get back to being more involved with the Page's. As I write this I realize that this may be more difficult than I'd wish. I think the adverse effects of my Meds may have done more damage than I have been aware of. Writing use to be so easy, right now I'm having a very difficult time finding words. In order to participate on the Page's one definitely needs words. A Loss Of Words would be a great title. Oh Well maybe this new IPad will do the trick. Take Care
Take me back, so far back, adjust this fate. Afeared lately of pen, in abscence of light. The fear I might stumble upon a plagiarized soul. Wipe this dark slate clean, regain my thought. Add the words that rekindle my depth of soul.

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

preston
Forever Silent Friend

Re: Memory impairment finally pays off

Post by preston » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:52 pm

Hey Michael ... I'm curious what role the Ipad is supposed to play in treating your memory problems ?

A number of years ago I had to quit working because the prescription meds I was taking caused short term memory problems.

My doctors insisted that ...
1. There was nothing wrong with my memory
2. If there was it had nothing to do with the medications prescribed

I've since learned that doctors are notoriously unwilling to take responsibility for medication side effects, no matter how well documented they are.

Recently I decided to stop taking the meds ... and my memory has shown a marked improvement.
At a time in my life when age-related cognitive decline would normally be a problem ... I feel like I've been given a new lease on life.

I'm currently attempting to undo the damage caused by 45 years of taking toxic prescription drugs.

Best of luck to you.

:computer:

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:58 pm

Hello Preston, My Speech Therapist says that the IPad is a tool that will assist me with organization. Throughout the day there are audible reminders as to when I should take my meds. I've been having problems with this. It also is my planner for appointments it reminds me one day before and then again 1 hr before. She has shown me how to scan important documents into the IPad along with business cards. It now has all of my medical information such as the 13 major surgeries and medications I've been instructed to bring it to clinic appointments to record Dr's orders. We have uploaded at least 8 different brain games that are suppose to assist me in cognitive rehab. Each day this week a reminder goes off and I have to remember and recite the top five things that us humans purchase at the grocery store. Milk, Cereal, Bottled Water, Soft Drinks and ? hmm I forgot #5. LOL They are listed in my notes. The point here is that 24 hrs ago I got them all. I should clarify "Memory impairment finally pays off" the 1st thought that one might get is that Oh boy I got a free IPad. Of course the IPad is nice but my orders are the real pay off. Such as it's important for me to get more involved with the Page's, continue playing guitar and basically all the things I enjoy. When Dr's orders include the thing's you enjoy that's a good thing. I spend 1 hour sessions each week with the speech therapist. I've had three of these appointments the IPad is just a part of what we do. In fact she doesn't refer to it as an IPad it's some sort of ? asistive device. I'm sure there will be more ways in which to use the device as the program moves along. As far as medication effecting the memory that's a given. Another major effect is chronic pain, another for me is all the hoops I must jump through each day. Such as dealing with my stoma care. Catherizing myself 4 times a day which I no longer do. As of 7/25/15 I had to have a supra pubic catheter installed. I'm still trying to adjust to it but it's a major improvement for me no matter how difficult the adjustment. Right now I have what they call a cut nerve. I'm getting pain in my left thigh all the way to the knee. It's like a hot burning poker being shoved into my thigh in individual areas from the buttocks to the knee. Usually strikes during the night 1-2 times each night. I'm scheduled for a Radio Frequency Ablation Oct 2nd or this Friday. I've titrated down on all of my pain meds. Still probably a lot for most people. My Fentynal is down to 25 mics from 50 and morphine is gone completely replaced with Oxycodone and Gabapenten for the nerve pain. I take baclofen, dicyclomine and troponin chloride for spasms. Legs, Abdominal and Bladder. If I could exist with out this regimen of drugs it would mean I didn't need them in the first place. The Doc's over the last 20 years have always stated to me that all meds are a double sword an art not a science at times. I even asked once while in the intensive care unit what would happen if I just went with out the meds. DR said that I would probably die. I attend a Chronic Pain Group twice a month at the VA. During the last session one of guys brought up Turmeric for pain he spends a lot of time researching alternatives even meditation. He said that turmeric is the same as Alleve. Well I hope this explains things a little more. Take Care
Take me back, so far back, adjust this fate. Afeared lately of pen, in abscence of light. The fear I might stumble upon a plagiarized soul. Wipe this dark slate clean, regain my thought. Add the words that rekindle my depth of soul.

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

preston
Forever Silent Friend

Post by preston » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:36 pm

Another payoff to the memory impairment is that you can use it as an excuse for the things you don't want to do.

:thumbsup:

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:07 am

Well I graduated from the cognitive memory program yesterday or was it the day before yesterday. I'm so proud to say that I scored 100 percent on my final test. Now I'm ready and ready to Hmmm I have to think about that. Take Care

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Post by heinzs » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:32 pm

:lol:
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

Return to “Open Discussions and Members' Messages”