"Solitude"

Come on in to give and receive critique, suggestions or help with work in progress or finished pieces. Any format welcome.

Moderator: bags123

mjarabrab
Clearwater Poet

"Solitude"

Post by mjarabrab » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:18 pm

There are times when we
need to find a place
to resolve to see
what we choose to face

And being alone
is what's best to do
for only you own
that which you can do

The silence will say
if patience draws near
showing you the way
what you need to hear

And soon you shall find
after solitude brings
a clearness to mind
to count your blessings

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Re: "Solitude"

Post by heinzs » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:58 pm

Long time no see, Barbara. :-)

Solitude is a good thing... up to a point.

:thumbsup:
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

berkay
Clearwater Poet

Post by berkay » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:24 pm

I like the solemnity of this, it goes very well with its subject matter.

The one thing I'd like to point out is that some of the stanzas (the last two in particular) don't flow as well as the first two - I think it might have something to do with the amount of syllables present. Maybe if you reworded it slightly it might reduce the very little awkwardness there is (for example, the very last line feels like it's a word too long).

Anyway, it might just be the way I'm reading it. It's a very good poem regardless :)

mjarabrab
Clearwater Poet

Post by mjarabrab » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:08 am

Hi Berkay, thank you for your review, I agree that the ending is awkward, and I am in now way a trained writer, each line has five counts to them or "beats" I guess you could call it, and even though each line matches in that way, it still is awkward, I left it this way for now, but open to change...
Thank you
take care
Mj

mjarabrab
Clearwater Poet

Post by mjarabrab » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:03 pm

Hi- you know I actually don't mind at all your remarks, because I have no training at all! The only thing I can tell you is, I wrote a poetry book with each poem with each nature shot I took myself, in a very simple writing style, who knows what to call it, poetry, prose,,,dosen't matter to me
But what's funny is my book has become a best seller up here where I live, and it's published. I have never been to college, and don't even want to be that technical, I just enjoy being on a few sites online.
I found that the general public just want to read what is easy to understand with clear messages, and I like hearing different thoughts from online forums.
Your tone implies that you are well educated in writing, want to share your writing as what I should aspire to?
I look forward to it, I have no ego!!!
take care
MJ

mjarabrab
Clearwater Poet

Post by mjarabrab » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:06 pm

I actually forgot to ask you, if this work in "prose" than your further comment is that it lacks the spontanaity a poem should have, so if it's not a poem than that doesn't matter, right?
The theme of this is that solitude is a time of reflection, that's all. Simple, not a poem,
so, is it ok as prose??/
thanks
Mj

Jadynara
Melpomenes Heiress

Post by Jadynara » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:14 pm

i really like this piece... what is the name of your book? I am very interersted in reading more of your work. I like the simple straight forwardness of it.
So we're lost, at least we've found each other. Take my hand, if we can't find our way out of the dark, we can make our own light. - Nicole M. Goretzke 2011

mjarabrab
Clearwater Poet

Post by mjarabrab » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:01 am

Hi Jadynara, thank you for your comment and interest! Here's what I did - Had heard about "self publishing" and gave it a try, was not happy with the result, because I have full color photos to go with each poem, and the only size they had was 8 x 11. I completed the process anyway, and it's on Amazon.com under "Nature's Inspirations". It was a cheap process, but I was not happy with the result.
Anyway, since I"m a "do it yourselfer' I made my own book at home, in a much smaller size, (4 x 6) and took it around to shops and downtown book stores. I knew I needed to market it myself, face to face, instead of just being another book on a online store... I wanted the face to face interaction, to boost my confidence, and find out if people actually liked it.
Well, I found out they do, and it's two things, the content, and the gift size I made. The profit is actually more since I make them at home, and more than selling, I get the imense pleasure of people actually telling me what they get out of reading it, which I never would know from an impersonal sale on line.
So, if you'd like to PM me (don't know if you can, I am not familiar with this site too much" I can certainly arrange to send a copy to you, or if you'd like to check out my book on Amazon, it's the same poems, but not as attractive as the smaller size I make at home.
Thank you for your interest, and you know, I keep copies in my truck, and whenever I see a book store or a craft shop, I go in, show it to them, and it gets known that way, and i enjoy it.
Just let me know,
thank you
Mj

mjarabrab
Clearwater Poet

Post by mjarabrab » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:09 am

Hi again, I "just" noticed the forum for published books, so I put it there, however the homemade version is cuter, cheaper and more apealing. Seems people like smaller sized books for gifts, fits in a purse, easy to handle, and it's cuter.
My email is Mjarabrab@aol.com if you 'd like to email.
thanks
Barbara
Mj

Return to “Workshop/Critiques Wanted”