The 31st International Buenos Aires Book Fair

Read about all of the Poetry Pages books, how you can purchase them or how you can be in our next book.
Moongem
Paradoxical Poetess

The 31st International Buenos Aires Book Fair

Post by Moongem » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:49 pm

I attended the 31st International Buenos Aires Book Fair in Argentina, last week, a massive, three week event which will, when over, have garnered 1.2 million visitors. I was sponsored for the trip by the Buenos Aires Commision of Culture, a government office. The acronym is C.A.D.D.A.N. - De la Comision Je Cultura. The president is Poly Balestrini, a beautiful woman of high caliber and weatlh of personality. As were all the Board of Director members and the authors I met, who received me with such warmth, I felt tremendously honored and moved.

I purchased three each of the PP books and Jenn's book, and took them with me. The booth of CADDAN is displaying the books, along with three presentations I had printed of more recent work, including my 'Not This Time' poem and commentary I have posted at AD for Jenn, in its own seperate presentation.

It was an exhilirating and productive trip. I am a member, now, of this group. My title is 'Editor of the English Division'. Don't laugh, Bags! :lol: Well, too hard, anyway. I know I gave you problems in the editing of my contribution to the first PP book, but I've learned alot about possesives and other sticky points that were confusing me back then. And, apparently, I am also on the Board of Directors, though I don't know what is expected of me, as yet.

There will be a publication of five books of mine, when I get them together, followed by an anthology, over the next 18 months, a book every three months.

I cannot express how thankful I am to have started my life's delight of writing poetry at The Poetry Pages. You people will always be my family, and I want to thank you all for your support of my poetry, my need to find my inner harmony and the difficulties of dealing with an often drunken, self-important poet who felt so connected with other drunken, and not, poets who didn't condemn my thoughts, whimsies and, oft times, drivel. :roll:

If I gain success from this endeavor, I will pay Poetry Pages back in any way I can find to help its continuing promotion of the love of words, the comraderie of friendships and the caring of compassionate people. Thank you all, from the depths of my heart, soul and mind.

With respect, I remain

Moongem aka
Erin Elizabeth Kelly-Moen
Last edited by Moongem on Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Watson
Forever Silent Friend

Post by Tom Watson » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:40 pm

Congratulations on the honors bestowed, Erin. I call them honors for that is what they are, and I am certain well earned. Thank you for sharing, and I think it is too cool that you had presented the PP books, but especially, Jenn's, and, as for myself, I want to thank you for that.
Good luck with your new positions, and continue your writing for you have a great future there...

:thewave: :thumbsup:

Tom
"Whispers of Love" a book of poetry expressing love of the heart and spirit is released worldwide on August 11, 2009. Visit my home page at
Books From Grace for more information or Amazon.com

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Post by heinzs » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:49 pm

:thewave:

(wow!)
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

jeannerené
Winter's Rose

Post by jeannerené » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:00 pm

:thewave: :hello: :computer: Congratulations Erin . . . your success is well deserved. I look forward to purchasing your books.

...jeanne...
... and his words purge up and outward,
expelled and onward through desert dust swallowed,
sands he says that gorge on simple sensibilities.
And, now he spits fragments, grit, extended vowels and elongated syllables
over cracked lips. Their sounds fall
piling round his boots…
~ jeannerené

~breathe~

flickr -jeannerene photostream

thief of dreams
surrounded by shadows

Post by thief of dreams » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:17 am

awesome
"Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Ven
Forum Admin - and Closet Hippie

Post by Ven » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:14 am

Wow ! That's fantastic news, congratulations Erin :thewave:

"Forever is short thought when your skipping this close to the edge".

Ven's MYSPACE

Google this number; 1905363966

Berlie
Behind the Curtain
Tag line: Behind the Curtain

Post by Berlie » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:32 am

Hey thats great! Congratulations on your success!

:thumbsup:
--------------------------------------------------
twisting the throttle
as I lean into the curve
bug SPLAT on my face
My Poetry Posts | My Poetry Vault | Self-Pub.net

Moongem
Paradoxical Poetess

Post by Moongem » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:10 am

:oops: :roll: Thank you all, my friends.

On the Eve of fulfilling my dreams, I am a little nervous. I feel angled winds and baby tornados forming over my head with a fierce energy I hope I can control, because, there is no guarantee of anything, in this life. What I want badly I also am afraid of - recognition, success, fortune and fame.

Okay, a question. I would like to purchase, or, rather, have been advised, a quantity of our books, at least 4-5 of each. I made a big mess with these last three, ordering from Barnes and Noble who not only almost blew my needs, but were expensive and untimely in delivery. I received an e-mail from them they could not fill my order, only one book shipped, and this was on the Tuesday before I left on Sunday. Idiots. So, I went to Amazon, ordered three of Jenn's book and PPI, choosing overnight shipping in the hopes of delivery before I left. That was Wednesday. I also e-mailed them explaining the situation and the potential that could be lost to me if I did not receive the books before the 17th to take with me to the book fair. The original order at B&N cost about $165.00 or so. In the end, I had to spend $166.00... Ha! In just checking the invoices, I guess it came out pretty evenly, with Amazon's non-charge for shipping one order, so I guess that point is moot. :)

Lo and behold, on Friday, Jenn's books came, with the message on the invoice I would not be charged for the extra shipping, as I had combined the order. The next day, PPI arrived. And, though I am extremely grateful to them, I would like to know if anyone knows where I can get PPI cheaper than $20 and Jenn's for cheaper than $15.50. If I can shave off the price, I can purchase more books to distribute to a few local areas, such as the two libraries of Above-Below, the Elementary and High School here in Morenci, the Art Depot in Clifton and a few other places. I could even order PP's new Dark Side book, which I haven't seen.

So, I'm hoping for the five each, with maybe two Dark Sides. Any ideas?

When I was in Buenos Aires, I had the idea to purchase some of the books from 'my people', my newly acquired fellow authors, and donate them to the high school, where Kayla is in a Spanish class, and the Art Depot. I have about a dozen, signed by said authors. I also gathered any handouts people give out on the streets for local businesses for her to take to her class, some postcards so they can see how the city looks and bits and pieces of whatever came my way. When she had told her Spanish teacher about my trip, the woman was happily envious, and joked she wanted to come with me as my translator. :lol:

In the journey of my career, it may be I will be able to help others, here, in the future-fantastic, by applying the knowledge I will be gaining to advise and gift. That is my desire and hope.

Erin

Berlie
Behind the Curtain

Post by Berlie » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:38 am

Jenn's book and the Dark Side book are cheapest if bought directly from Lulu.

The Poetry Pages books are cheapest if bought directly through AuthorHouse.

http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/It ... Ah3mhtuYU=

http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/It ... 1QAquf4%3d

http://www.lulu.com/content/76809

http://www.lulu.com/content/48376

I still have some of the business cards that I did up for the PoetryPages v. II book. Send me a PM with your address if you would like me to send them your way.

When I finish getting set up as my own publisher I will be able to offer future books for even cheaper since there will be no middle man.
twisting the throttle
as I lean into the curve
bug SPLAT on my face

Moongem
Paradoxical Poetess

Post by Moongem » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:19 am

That would be great, Kim! I tried to 'make' my own, searching for the know-how on the Net, before I left, but totally boffed it. :lol:

I am organizing the needs and activities of the next week, or so, my bound presentations, of which I am ordering two more, will be delayed due to graduation with its printing pressures, until next week. I will order the books today or tomorrow, so they arrive next week, also.

I have also been advised to become a 'company', add my pen name as a 'Doing Business As' name and acquire a tax number. Another set of chores for next week, my girls are home on Spring Break from school and spring is utterly beautiful, here. We're going to the river, later, my favorite place for evening myself and thinking things out.

thief of dreams
surrounded by shadows

Post by thief of dreams » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:21 am

hey Erin, this is completely off topic but do you know of a good digital camera around a hundred dollars or so with a zoom ability and around 3 mega pixels?
:mrgreen:
"Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Moongem
Paradoxical Poetess

Post by Moongem » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:36 am

Well, I have one with your needs, Terry, but it cost $415.00 almost two years, ago. And, remember, all I have is a Wal-Mart to shop at, when I attempt searches and services on the Web, it takes me hours, usually with skewed results. :)

Why not ask in the Member's Discussion Board? I'm sure there are people with more knowledge than I have.

By the way, the week or so before I went to Argentina, we had some amazing cloud formations. One day jellyfish and manta ray clouds and puffer fish flounced in the skies, other days mares tails raced and pranced with power and grace, and several days, Ravyn rode the blue of sundering seas, to tell me, I now think, she could see what was to come. I took pictures, have them in my computer, but haven't been able to get to picking out the ones with her cloud-bird-image. Have no doubt, though, she was there.

I sent my mother Jenn's book, yesterday, and am eager to see how she 'takes' it. Here's a poem I wrote to show you her 'personality' towards me for the last 45 years.

Long-Time Crazy

Somebody I love
told me she saw ‘genius’
in some of the poetry
I left behind
on my last visit.

She wanted more,
she said, and I complied.

Somebody I love
told me
I needed to see
a psychiatrist.

For two weeks,
I was a genius,
now,
I am crazy.

Somebody I love
should have
figured that out
a long time ago…

Erin Elizabeth Kelly-Moen
© Copyright 4/2/05

Sad, the disconnections people attain in their lives, but, she's finally coming around, seeing me, and my poetry, have worth.

Berlie
Behind the Curtain

Post by Berlie » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:45 am

Try eBay for deals on digital cameras:

Stick with the name brands such as Cannon, Kodak, Sony, Olympus, Nikon etc. Don't buy anything with a company name you don't recognize.

Look for new cameras that include the original box and be sure to check to make sure the sellers ratings are good.

I usually look for the Buy Now feature, don't really like to deal with auctions.

Some I saw that might meet your criteria:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 27738&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 17156&rd=1

Or click here to view the ones from the search I did that narrowed the listings down.
twisting the throttle
as I lean into the curve
bug SPLAT on my face

thief of dreams
surrounded by shadows

Post by thief of dreams » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:30 am

i look forward to the pix Erin.
Kim, i would go Ebay but i am hoping to be in a truck in a few days or at least on my way to SLC on the Dog (Greyhound) so Ebay is out for me right now. I will probably end up picking one up from a Wal Mart when im driving, or if i get lucky, buying one off a driver who is broke on the road.
Friedrich Nietzsche

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:51 pm

Hello Erin, I'm crying all over the key board right now. With tears of joy and happiness for you. Don't go getting so dam successful, that I only have the Counting Crows to remind me of you. I'd hate to try and get by your secretary just to talk to you. Remember Biting off more than you can chew and chewing it is the true road to success. Say hello to kayla for me. Take Care
Take me back, so far back, adjust this fate. Afeared lately of pen, in abscence of light. The fear I might stumble upon a plagiarized soul. Wipe this dark slate clean, regain my thought. Add the words that rekindle my depth of soul.

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

Return to “The Poetry Pages Books”