Spice of Life: Milk White Chocolate

Moderators: thief of dreams, nekot

nekot
Poetry Piper

Spice of Life: Milk White Chocolate

Post by nekot » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:08 pm

I enjoy variety and truly believe it is the spice of life. People come in the most varieties of all; no two are exactly the same. I believe each person has a significant gift to share and a unique journey to live.

The Pages are not lacking in these givers and journeyers who share their insights, joys, traumas, imaginations, hopes, despairs, fantasies, fictions, beliefs, and doubts via the written word in prose, poetry, stories, and quips.

I have laughed many a time and cried many a time, as I have sat with mouse in hand reading these Pages and sharing my own heart. Folks here are an inspiration to my soul and have been a catalyst for significant growth in my own life. I have witnessed a mutual respect among this variety of souls that if duplicated in our world, would make it a better place. :bow:

Scroll down for a little spice from Milk White Chocolate..... :grin:

:hello:

Back to index: Poetry Pages' Poets
~eloquently scattered~
nekot's tokens

nekot
Poetry Piper

Re: Spice of Life: Milk White Chocolate

Post by nekot » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:16 pm

Milk White Chocolate joined Poetry Pages February 18, 2007.

From Pauline, Poetry Pages' Milk White Chocolate:

What is your age bracket: under 25, 25 - 50, over 50?
I am 33 and hoping to be around for a while. I have room for manoeuvre; my grandma is 96 and still going strong.

What is your name? Where do you live? What do you like to do? What is your occupation?
My name is Pauline and I live in Rennes, France. I’ve been in France for 23 years now. I was born in Exeter, England and lived there for the first 10 years of my life. My father is British and my mother is French/Moroccan, a cultural mix from which I gained a dual nationality and the handy ability to be able to speak 2 languages fluently. When asked about my nationality, I like to qualify myself as being Frenglish. (Not to be mistaken with Freakish, which is a totally different world/word)
I like doing a lot of things in life. Just to name a few: I like to write, draw, do photo manipulations, work outdoors in the garden, go for walks, read, listen to music, make clothes or lie about in bed doing nothing. (And no, for those who are wondering, I do not feel guilty one bit about staying in bed till late.)
I actually work as a hotel employee. It’s what I call a “munchies job”…. It’s not what I want to spend my life doing but it pays the bills and leaves my afternoons free, which is perfect! I would though like to run a hotel one day and I am working towards that. (I opted out of the option of becoming rich and famous…. reason: all the hassles with the entire paparazzi clique, all the nights out partying and always having to look good…can wear a good lass out)

How long have you been writing poetry? Do you recall what led you to, if anything, to start writing?
I’ve been writing poetry for a few years now. I was going through a very bad patch in my life back then and I needed to understand what was going on in my head and release a lot of negative tension and confusion. I just started off by writing words onto paper and found many answers. I don’t know exactly how it turned into poetry…it just seemed to happen. Then I got caught up in it and it became to be a wonderful game, building imagery with words, searching for the right word to describe a feeling or vision and the challenge of writing whilst respecting a certain form or rhythm.
My first pieces were centred on my life and the ordeal I was going through. Then I expanded my words to more general subjects that moved me.
I have always loved words, when I was little I use to collect my favourite ones and ponder about their existence. Some kids would think about the universe, I would think about words. I remember lying in bed at night and wondering why a bus is called a bus and if it were called a cat would it still be a bus? (Any answers to this deep philosophical question are more than welcome)
Then in high school I started to develop my writing with the essay assignments. I use to get my best grades in those classes; it made up for the maths grades because I was hopeless with numbers and formulas. I remember one essay in particular; it was about a family who lived in a tiny glass paperweight. My teacher asked me where I found such a crazy idea and I gave her a typical teenager reply: I shrugged my shoulders and mumbled, “I don’t know”. In the years that followed I wrote short stories for fun. I enjoyed bending my mind and making my imagination work overtime. Thinking about it I really don’t know why I didn’t start to write poetry earlier in my life, I suppose I just needed a trigger, which eventually came a few years back.

Have you ever been published? In what books or by whom?
No…. I have never dared to send my work off. I always have doubts about the quality of my work.
[Note insert by nekot: Pauline answered these questions before PPs' Volume 5: Voices from Around the World started being collated. Once it is published, she'll then be published! I think she has 12 poems in the new volume! :thumbsup:]

What inspires you to write? Is there a certain setting where you like to write? Do you listen to music when you write?
Many things in life inspire me. A TV show, a newspaper article, people I see in the street, a phrase I might catch in a conversation and of course my own life’s ordeals and joys.
When I wrote, “ I am the grass” the poem started from the simple phrase -I am the grass- that I read on the Internet. It was in an article about a neighbourhood watch programme. I don’t know why but it made me think of God and his love. I wrote the phrase onto paper and the rest of the words just grew around it. Looking back on things now, I realize that as I was dealing with death round that period of time, it was my way of saying God loves us before and after death and that my loved ones will always be safe in his hands.
I like to write on my computer but I sometimes write whilst watching TV with my son. I also jot a lot of my ideas down on my mobile phone; I tend to get a lot of my ideas when I am out walking and I have a bad habit of always forgetting to take either a pen or paper. Before I had my phone, I have been known to come home with ideas scrawled on the back of my hand, bus tickets and paper tissues.
I practically always listen to music when I write. Occasionally I listen to the radio. I am a radio 4/ pod cast listener, I enjoy radio plays or science/history programs but it can be a touch distracting when I write. I end up most of the time listening to the radio program and not writing much.

What is one of your favourite poems that you have penned? Would you mind sharing why or the story behind the poem?

I see all my poems as my babies…sometimes their birth is easy and quick others leave me in labour for days or for weeks. I am very attached to them all and letting people read them is like letting them take a glance at my inner self. I remember the first time I posted on PP, I was nervous. I felt like I was giving a piece of myself away and was scared that it would be crushed and trampled. It’s no secret that on the net some people use the anonymity it provides to lash out at others. I visited the site over a few days debating with myself…should I or shouldn’t I post? It makes me smile now when I think about it…I don’t think I could have found a better place than PP. It’s such a friendly community that offers constructive criticism… It is exactly what I needed to help my work grow and gain confidence.
One of my favourite poems that I have written is “Misunderstood” it speaks of my childhood and my difference that I found difficult to live with as a child.
I was born and raised in a multi cultural environment. I wasn’t totally English or French and was forever considered as being “weird”. Not only would I speak and react in a different way to others but also I didn’t look the part. With black hair, black eyes and extremely white skin covered in freckles, I was perceived amongst my peers as being the odd one out.
As a child I was confronted to quite a lot of racism in England and in France. I was regularly told to go back to my country (from the French or the English). People just couldn’t understand that I was in my country, whether that was England or France and that I had the right to be there. I ended up feeling that I belonged nowhere and that I was some kind of freak that no one could understand apart from my family. I put up with rejection, verbal abuse and loneliness during many of my school years.
Luckily as I grew older and wiser, I started to meet more open minded people, people who loved me for what I was and who accepted totally my difference. It washed away the pain and suffering that I had endured during my childhood and I finally felt accepted for who I was, that it was ok to be me, that my difference was actually a gift and not a burden. Through the love I found, I was able to forgive those who had haunted my childhood years and become who I am today. My partner always says to me I love you for your weirdness…it makes you what you are, such a lovable and fun person. I don’t think I could have asked for a better partner. And today if someone calls me a “weirdy” I just smile and say, “hey! Thanks for the compliment."

Misunderstood

Some people found me strange,
Misunderstood,
Spending hours,
To find a sane reason.
With diverse cultures in my veins,
To some,
I seemed a nameless season.
Some people found me strange,
A shade of skin I cannot change,
Alongside,
My hearts own decoration.

For this there was a price to pay,
A head hung low in shame.
Through the games they used to play,
Dirty thoughts were spat,
Unspeakable filth was conveyed.
Shouting sticks and stones.
By the words they used to say,
Hatred spoke,
Abhorrence trampled the small bones.

Some people find me strange,
Looking back,
Long gone,
Are those dreadful days,
Words upon me no longer weigh.
All is forgiven.
Fortune shines, alteration.
Today,
Amongst love and wisdom,
Distinction fears not to display.
All is forgotten,
There is no price left to pay.

Read it here: Misunderstood

Thank you so much Pauline for sharing a part of your life and story. It has been a great blessing to me to get to know you, and to find my "clone" :mrgreen: across the sea. :wink:
~eloquently scattered~
nekot's tokens

nekot
Poetry Piper

Post by nekot » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:40 pm

Following are a couple favorites to me penned by Pauline. Enjoy..... :grin:

Castles In Avalon

I will build you a castle,
Of steel and concrete,
Decorated with pebbles and shells,
Like the ones, as children, we found,
Washed upon the golden beach.
Sea bathed stones and pretty shells,
That you gave to me lovingly,
Placing them with care,
One by one,
Into the palm of my small hand.
A smile across your heart,
You touched my sun burnt face,
And promised to never leave,
Me in this world of growing decay.

If we were to be parted,
Separation due to life,
You would hear, despite the miles,
My cries and silent shouts,
And come rescue me,
From my difficult trial.
You swore protection,
And a lifetime of affection,
To the child I once was.
You would be my saviour,
In the deepest times of darkness.
You would be my god,
Bringing me closer to the light.
I was blessed with a miracle,
I was sanctified by your gentle love.

That summer day,
I treasured you,
Time hasn’t discoloured the feeling,
I still do.
And even though the sea,
Has taken you to tread,
The distant shores of Avalon,
Alone,
I still walk the beach.
Consuming memories of us,
Looking for pebbles and shells,
To decorate your castle,
Of steel and concrete.

Read it here: Castles In Avalon

I am the Grass

I am the natural blades of emerald and jade,
A luscious green,
Taught to sing,
Through the fingers of small children.
I am the vibrant colour of lawns,
Meadows,
Plants,
And small countryside pastures.
I am the grass,
The bearer of the ephemeral,
Precious,
Moon born silver stones,
And I love you,
For who you are.

I am the sentinel of a dimension,
Filled with cogs,
Hands and seasons.
A heart filled with compassion,
And graceful forgiveness,
For I am the grass,
And I love dearly,
All my infants of the universe.
Forever making room,
For their quiet cherished heads,
Inside the earthly sheets,
Of my soft olive bed.

I am the guardian of countless lives,
Covering the graves,
With the warm comfort of my womb.
A new treasured existence,
From seed shall bloom,
As my children shed their scars,
Beneath the earth,
And burnt out yellow stars.

Fear not my child,
I am the grass.
Understand me well,
That nothing on earth can last.
Rejoice,
In the endless circle of life.
For I am the grass,
And I will hold your hand,
Through out this life,
And all those to come.
For I love you,
For who you are,
And for the one you will,
One day become.

Read it here: I am the Grass

Milk White Chocolate doesn't have a archive yet, so here are a few of her works.....

A furry fact
Domestic War
The Shopping List
Greed
Whispers of love

Thank you again Pauline!!!!
~eloquently scattered~
nekot's tokens

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Post by heinzs » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:03 pm

:cool: :cool: :cool:
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:39 am

Nice to meet you Pauline. Good stuff. :thumbsup: Actually,..... I've met you before, but I didn't know your name or background. Always nice to put a name (other than our screen name) to a poem. Mine's Gerry by the way. :thewave:
Last edited by bags123 on Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan
Your brain is like an umbrella. It only works when it's open- Someone Smart

Poet of the Month
March 2011

gordy
Windfall Prophet

Post by gordy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:50 am

cool :thewave:
-----------------------------

My Jesus hung out with thieves and sluts and liars, which Jesus do you worship?

---Todd Agnew

Perfection is my enemy
Procrastination is his cohort
Persistence is my sword

---Gordy

Milk White Chocolate
Naughty But Nice

Post by Milk White Chocolate » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:31 pm

Thanks everyone! :grin:
I enjoyed sharing this little snippet of myself with other PP members...

I agree with you Gerry it is nice to be able to put a name on the people we speak to or read. I love the virtual world but nothing can beat reality... :thumbsup:
Money don't make me so broke can't break me.
**My Video Page**

Milk White Chocolate
Naughty But Nice

Post by Milk White Chocolate » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:36 pm

Nekot wrote:Thank you so much Pauline for sharing a part of your life and story. It has been a great blessing to me to get to know you, and to find my "clone" :mrgreen: across the sea. :wink:
Nearly forgot... :oops:

No, Nekot, let me thank you for asking me to write about myself...I did it with great pleasure!
It has been a great blessing meeting you too...my "clone" :wink:
**My Video Page**

nekot
Poetry Piper

Post by nekot » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:10 pm

Milk White Chocolate wrote:
Nekot wrote:Thank you so much Pauline for sharing a part of your life and story. It has been a great blessing to me to get to know you, and to find my "clone" :mrgreen: across the sea. :wink:
Nearly forgot... :oops:

No, Nekot, let me thank you for asking me to write about myself...I did it with great pleasure!
It has been a great blessing meeting you too...my "clone" :wink:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hello:

bags123 wrote:Nice to meet you Pauline. Good stuff. :thumbsup: Actually,..... I've met you before, but I didn't know your name or background. Always nice to put a name (other than our screen name) to a poem. Mine's Gerry by the way. :thewave:
Have ya'll met in person or on another site somewhere?

Inquiring minds want to know.... :book:

:thewave:
~eloquently scattered~
nekot's tokens

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:10 am

No,... just here on the site. Seems like a real nice person. :cheers:
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan

Poet of the Month
March 2011

nekot
Poetry Piper

Post by nekot » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:51 am

bags123 wrote:No,... just here on the site. Seems like a real nice person. :cheers:
:cheers:

I concur. Many here fit that category... :hearts:
~eloquently scattered~
nekot's tokens

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:07 am

nekot wrote:
bags123 wrote:No,... just here on the site. Seems like a real nice person. :cheers:

Well,.... between you and me,..... the numbers appear to be dwindling abit. :cheers:

Poet of the Month
March 2011

nekot
Poetry Piper

Post by nekot » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:31 am

bags123 wrote:
nekot wrote:

Well,.... between you and me,..... the numbers appear to be dwindling abit. :cheers:

I guess folks move around or get busy. I've only been here less than a year. I imagine I'll continue to be around for awhile.

I seem to be getting rounder every year. I'm gonna have to put a stop to that!!
~eloquently scattered~
nekot's tokens

Milk White Chocolate
Naughty But Nice

Post by Milk White Chocolate » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:32 am

Awww...Now I'm blushing! :hearts:
**My Video Page**

nekot
Poetry Piper

Post by nekot » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:03 pm

:thewave:
~eloquently scattered~
nekot's tokens

Return to “Poet Laureate October 2007 - March 2008: Nekot”