Poetry Page's Poets' Poetry Ponderings

Moderators: thief of dreams, nekot

nekot
Poetry Piper

Poetry Page's Poets' Poetry Ponderings

Post by nekot » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:39 pm

I'm gonna' be on the lookout for statements/poems on the board regarding poetry itself. When I find one (or two or fifty :mrgreen:), I'm gonna' post them here.

If you want to, you can state your thoughts of poetry itself on this thread. :bow:

Prompt questions:
How is poetry defined?
What is the purpose of poetry?
How has poetry effected your life?
What is "good" poetry?

:hello:
~eloquently scattered~
nekot's tokens

nekot
Poetry Piper

Post by nekot » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:43 pm

This was penned by Beejay some months back in open, but the thread has apparently been autopruned so I can't provide a link.

I have this in the front of my personal poetry journal.

Take heart.

It is often said that a poet is recognized much after he has departed for more friendly shores. In the times they live, they reflect hurts and images others can relate with their experience and hence the reminder is unwelcome or untimely. When most want but to escape from reality the poet puts in his take on things and opens a landscape where worms twist & recoil.

Exploring the outer world is fun. When you probe inside yourself it takes a poet to pen that feeling as much as it takes a person going through a similar phase to understand it.

So it is only the odds that are in favor of more writes than reads. Hi any feedback from anywhere is welcome as long as it comes!

Written by BeeJay
~eloquently scattered~
nekot's tokens

nekot
Poetry Piper

Post by nekot » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:52 pm

I also have this penning in the front of my personal poetry journal. Another good reminder that most of it goes unread. :bow:

By bags123

A Poet Learns To Be Unread

Some poems disappear when critics advise;
"They should vanish before they are noted",
and impassioned poets quickly surmise,
that their verses will seldom be quoted

Though most labor on, and never give in,
to the fashionable trends of the day
They'll wear thicker skins, since critic's akin,
label everything "trite, and cliche"

A poet must learn, that all his concerns
are not shared by the prosaic masses
Like Byron, or Burns, they'll often take turns
finding solace in whiskey filled glasses

Just so it is said, by masters now dead;
"Poetry written will soon be unread"

A Poet Learns To Be Unread
~eloquently scattered~
nekot's tokens

nekot
Poetry Piper

Re: Poetry Page's Poets' Poetry Ponderings

Post by nekot » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:16 pm

Penned by Pat:

Poetry & Music

If Poetry be the paraclete
of the spirit's goal,
then music is it's prologue
a thunder in the soul,
volitioned there a vector to the word
as though God had spoken
in commandments to be heard.

Poetry & Music
~eloquently scattered~
nekot's tokens

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:37 am

Hi Carol,
Renewed congratulations by the way. I hope my comments here are what you had in mind. Personally,
I generally believe that there is a tremendous confusion in most peoples minds about what poetry is,... and how it's differenciated from prose. In my own mind I view poetry as a craft utilizing certain tools, or devices like meter, form, imagery, rhyme (to name a few) in much the same way that a musician would use harmony, melody, and rhythm, to construct his/her music. The best poets IMHO are those who are able to use the accepted tools of the trade so to speak,... and in doing so,... also include a meaningful message in the process. Now,... I know there are those who would disagree with me,.... the majority perhaps,.... but simply writing your feelings down,.... or writing a story that contains vivid imagery,... is prose,... not poetry. It may be very good prose,...but it's still prose. The fact that an aspiring poet writes a story in a poetic format instead of paragraphs,.. does not make it poetry. One of the best poets on the site currently,... is David Bradsher. He never fails to amaze me in his poetic abilities while staying true to form. I think alot of young people especially, think that poetry should always contain alot of angst, and that expressing their darker emotions on paper immediatly qualifies their prose as poetry. Interestingly,.... I have a similar problem with Rap. I've got to admit,... that I have heard the rare Rap song that isn't bad,....but the majority of microphone spittle sounds that are generated behind those ludicrous looking gangsta morons is not music,.... anymore than their ridiculously offensive lyrics
could be considered poetry. They sure sell alot of CD's though don't they? I guess that says something about us doesn't it? Anywho,.... that's my :2cents:
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan
Your brain is like an umbrella. It only works when it's open- Someone Smart

Poet of the Month
March 2011

nekot
Poetry Piper

Post by nekot » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:25 pm

bags123 wrote:Hi Carol,
Renewed congratulations by the way. I hope my comments here are what you had in mind. Personally,
I generally believe that there is a tremendous confusion in most peoples minds about what poetry is,... and how it's differenciated from prose. In my own mind I view poetry as a craft utilizing certain tools, or devices like meter, form, imagery, rhyme (to name a few) in much the same way that a musician would use harmony, melody, and rhythm, to construct his/her music. The best poets IMHO are those who are able to use the accepted tools of the trade so to speak,... and in doing so,... also include a meaningful message in the process. Now,... I know there are those who would disagree with me,.... the majority perhaps,.... but simply writing your feelings down,.... or writing a story that contains vivid imagery,... is prose,... not poetry. It may be very good prose,...but it's still prose. The fact that an aspiring poet writes a story in a poetic format instead of paragraphs,.. does not make it poetry. One of the best poets on the site currently,... is David Bradsher. He never fails to amaze me in his poetic abilities while staying true to form. I think alot of young people especially, think that poetry should always contain alot of angst, and that expressing their darker emotions on paper immediatly qualifies their prose as poetry. Interestingly,.... I have a similar problem with Rap. I've got to admit,... that I have heard the rare Rap song that isn't bad,....but the majority of microphone spittle sounds that are generated behind those ludicrous looking gangsta morons is not music,.... anymore than their ridiculously offensive lyrics
could be considered poetry. They sure sell alot of CD's though don't they? I guess that says something about us doesn't it? Anywho,.... that's my :2cents:
Thanks Gerry!

Yes, those are the kind of comments I have in mind.

I have often pondered the difference between poetry and prose....especially when evaluating my own pennings. Some are prose; some are poetry; and some are ponderings. I don't really know how I distinguish between them; I don't have a formula. But, at least for now, I can subjectively distinguish the difference when I peruse my pennings.

Without studying the subject, that is just pondering the subject, which is what I often like to do before a formal study of a subject....I was thinking this morning that perhaps prose is a type of poetic form. Then I thought perhaps it is more accurate to say both poetry and prose are forms of expression. Of course then, forms of expression can take into account anything.

In conversation this morning the subject of the Psalms in the Bible came up. I referenced a book I read a year or so ago. I like how this author (Tremper Longman III) describes poetry, which in this sense I think includes prose:

"The Psalms were composed in poetic form. Poetry......is the language not so much of the sublime, but of the truly real -- a reality that cannot be grasped through scientific or theoretical precision."

~eloquently scattered~
nekot's tokens

preston
Forever Silent Friend

Post by preston » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:05 pm

nekot wrote:What is "good" poetry?

i realize i've found a good poem when ... about half way through I find myself wanting to get to the end so i can start over again from the beginning

:grin:

nekot
Poetry Piper

Post by nekot » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:06 pm

preston wrote:
nekot wrote:What is "good" poetry?

i realize i've found a good poem when ... about half way through I find myself wanting to get to the end so i can start over again from the beginning

:grin:
That be a fine definition for good poetry.

Reminds what a fellow said about what makes a book a classic: a book you want to read again. :thumbsup:
~eloquently scattered~
nekot's tokens

Milk White Chocolate
Naughty But Nice

Post by Milk White Chocolate » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:56 am

How is poetry defined?
I don't know...I might have to think a while about that one... :shrug:
Personally, I would say that there is no purpose in poetry...I see it as being the same as all the other forms of art, it just exists as a form of expression, reflecting what we feel or think. As humans we have an urge to create whether through words, images or music.
It has made me understand certain issues and perspective about life. It has aswell provided to be a good outlet to the many thoughts that spin in my head.
Ohh... and writing poetry has been a cheaper alternatif to seeing a shrink when trying to understand oneself! :roll:
What is "good" poetry?
For me, good poetry is something that moves me. But then again I don't know if there is "good" or "bad poetry"...It's a bit like beauty...all in the mind of the beholder. :grin:
Money don't make me so broke can't break me.
**My Video Page**

nekot
Poetry Piper

Post by nekot » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:01 am

Milk White Chocolate wrote:
How is poetry defined?
I don't know...I might have to think a while about that one... :shrug:
Personally, I would say that there is no purpose in poetry...I see it as being the same as all the other forms of art, it just exists as a form of expression, reflecting what we feel or think. As humans we have an urge to create whether through words, images or music.
It has made me understand certain issues and perspective about life. It has aswell provided to be a good outlet to the many thoughts that spin in my head.
Ohh... and writing poetry has been a cheaper alternatif to seeing a shrink when trying to understand oneself! :roll:
What is "good" poetry?
For me, good poetry is something that moves me. But then again I don't know if there is "good" or "bad poetry"...It's a bit like beauty...all in the mind of the beholder. :grin:
:bow:

I have these same perceptions/thoughts/impressions MWC. No surprise there! :lol:

Thank you for contributing your thoughts...:grin: :thumbsup:
~eloquently scattered~
nekot's tokens

gordy
Windfall Prophet

Post by gordy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:34 pm

-----------------------------

My Jesus hung out with thieves and sluts and liars, which Jesus do you worship?

---Todd Agnew

Perfection is my enemy
Procrastination is his cohort
Persistence is my sword

---Gordy

nekot
Poetry Piper

Post by nekot » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:31 pm

Thank you Gordy!

I hope you don't mind that I post it here. It is beautiful....:bow: And is a motivator (for me) to continue to practice open poetry and comment in kind....

If you would rather me not post it here, let me know and I can delete it. :grin:

If folks want to comment on it, please do so on Gordy's link where the poem is. :grin:
Again here is the link: Open Heart Poetry
It's also nice to read the comments on the link. :thumbsup:

Open Heart Poetry

The poet's heart
is no different than the heart
inside of you
or inside of me

The difference is
the poet's heart is put on paper
on display, placed
for all to see

The poet's thoughts are no more real,
random or pretend
than the very deepest thoughts
that are mine or yours, my friend

Most all our thoughts flow slowly down
out the mouth, time and time again
the poet's thoughts however bypass the mouth
drip on down and out his pen

So now you know('cause I told you so)
the anatomy of one who writes and shares
In the field of poetry, the heart is often exposed
So when you read, please take special care

You wouldn't take a normal persons heart
(if you saw it laying wide open and bare)
and circle the mispelled arteries or cross out
in red ink, an aorta you thought shouldn't be there

You wouldn't criticize a spinal cord
just because it didn't rhyme, you see
or chastize a red corpusle
because it wasn't type ABBAB

Just make sure you are familiar
with the poet's anatomy
before you ever dare attempt
to practice open heart poetry
~eloquently scattered~
nekot's tokens

nekot
Poetry Piper

Post by nekot » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:02 pm

Oh my! I just read the following tonight. What a hoot!! :lol:

Here is the link:
A Real Poem Never Rhymes
Please post any comments over on the link! :thumbsup:

By Sailor55:
A Real Poem Never Rhymes

A real poem never rhymes
Or uses titles for first lines
This singy, songy stuff of mine
Is not arresting, nor sublime

I‘m not here to start up trouble
But since I’m bursting people’s bubbles
Rhyming down to fours or doubles
Consigns your work to back page rubble

A real poem skips the meter
Shines its light on bottom feeders
Openhearted heavy bleeders
Wailing angst and spousal beaters

But free verse prose of twenty-something’s
Flaxen hair, young hearts a pumping
Skinny denim backsides humping
In thirty years will get its thumping

So here’s one thing that’s sure as shit
They’ll dig my grave then backfill it
Then say some little prayer and split
I hope it rhymes… I hope it fits.
~eloquently scattered~
nekot's tokens

gordy
Windfall Prophet

Post by gordy » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:09 am

i dont mind one bit, actually i feel honored :thumbsup: :mrgreen:
-----------------------------

My Jesus hung out with thieves and sluts and liars, which Jesus do you worship?

---Todd Agnew

Perfection is my enemy
Procrastination is his cohort
Persistence is my sword

---Gordy

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:15 pm

Prompt questions:
How is poetry defined?

Poetry like beauty is a harmonic visual symmetry that resonates within us.

To trigger this human harmonic response that already exists within the readers imagination on one hand and as as ource of valuable introspection for the writer on the other hand.

Whether the poem has musical intonations as a lyric or a sweeping combination of verbal visuals; it leaves the imagination 'wiggle room' making it a personal experience overiding the formula of the obviously contrived.

What is "good" poetry?

Pure subjective criteria decides this. I don't care for rap poetry nor do I care much for Kiplingesque odes to the glory of empire and militarism. It may have perfect form but the content still decides the matter for most people.

My take on the poet or in this case...the poetess:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38841

Return to “Poet Laureate October 2007 - March 2008: Nekot”