My Goal: Little White Square Or Bust!

A place to enjoy the interactive sport of Roleplay exercises, post your prose, short stories, story poems, prose poems and epics. This forum does not autoprune

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway, moonflower

DarleneG
65 Roses
Tag line: Encourage One Another

My Goal: Little White Square Or Bust!

Post by DarleneG » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:05 pm

Have you met me? I'm an ECP, an Electronically Challenged Poet.

But even for me, how hard could it be to stuff my picture into that little white square next to my name in Facebook poetrypages? As I opened the attachment holding a recent picture my son John had taken with his cell phone, I stared at all the options available to me, and began to tremble. Would I be able to navigate through all this and send an attachment to Heinz so he could squeeze my picture into that little white box by my name? About an hour later, after opening and closing options, filling out those little blank forms and being denied because I did not have an adobe password or other information required, I finally hit the send button for the thirteenth time and presto, it went through! Just to be sure, I checked the e-mail attachment to Heinz and there it was. Pic Darlene. I breathed a sigh of relief after I sent it off and got a quick response back from Heinz, "Got it!"

But even quicker was his next reply: "That's a nice picture of you. But unfortunately, Facebook does not like the .pdf format. They like pictures as .jpg files." I began to tremble. My fingers fumbled at the keyboard. And I thought I heard a snicker coming from my computer. As if it knew I was in way over my head.

I reached for aspirin, my blood pressure kit and my cocoa bears. What in the world did PDF and JPG mean? I hadn't the foggiest! Perhaps PDF (please delete form)? And JPG (jump past go). No! No! that can't be right! I'm not playing Monopoly. But I wish I was right now!

Another message to Heinz: PDF and JPG? Is that some kind of a special code I'm supposed to know ?

Heinz answered: PDF stands for portable document format and JPG is (Joint Photographic experts Group)". Well, that group certainly does not include me! I said to myself, reaching for my cocoa bears. "Not to worry," Heinz said, " I'll print your pdf and scan to convert it into a .jpg file. Then we'll go from there." Go from where? I wondered, thinking I was through. Maybe it would be easier if I just put on one of my Disney shirts and walking shoes and hand deliver my picture to Heinz personally up in Northern California. But that is impossible because the computer is holding my picture hostage! Heinz tells me he has put it in several different places. It's flying all over the internet. Well, in that case, I wish it would stop flying and land in that little white box next to my name.

The message I did not send to Heinz. "Well, you know where you can go with those pdf and jpg files!"

New message from Heinz: "Facebook does not allow me to alter your personal profile. I will email you the jpg file I created from your one hundred and one Disney Dalmatians shirt picture and you can add it yourself from your settings. Let me know if you need directions on navigating Facebook for that purpose."

I am thankful he can not hear the quiver in my voice as I say, yes please I need help in navigating because I am a poor driver. Help me to steer through this maze toward the right direction.

Return message" Ok, when you log into Facebook, at the top menu bar will be a picture square and your name. Click on that link to open your profile page. At the top of that page, in the body of it, will be a square with your picture to the left within a larger picture that you can upload as a "backdrop." If you go to my profile it will be a gigantic eye with a skull reflection in the pupil. Click on the small picture and it will offer you the option to update it. Choose "upload photo." And it will ask where your photo is on your computer.

(ME: How do I know where it is? The last I heard, it was flying all over the internet!)
Back to Heinz: You will have to navigate to where you have saved your .jpg file. Click and open that tab to begin the upload. Good luck!"

I followed his steps and eventually found the picture file I was supposed to upload. It was in my library file. How appropriate, because my apartment is cluttered with books. I faced the giant eye and the scary skull. Really Facebook, are most of your programmers men? A woman would have softened that step and had me click on something less frightening, like a soft teddy bear or a giant cookie, which I could use right now! Simplify! Simplify! please, Facebook. Are all these steps necessary just to be able to insert my picture into that tiny little square by my name!

My last message to Heinz: Sweet success at last! Thank you for your patience with this ECP. But I do have one more question. How do you make those cute little red hearts? <3 :computer:

"Poetry is what in a poem makes your toenails twinkle."----Dylan Thomas
**Member of the Month**
July 2012

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Re: My Goal: Little White Square Or Bust!

Post by heinzs » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:13 am

Well, it was truly not an "ordeal" from my side. I'm tickled pink that you chose to write this short tale :cool:

Feel free to ask anything. If you don't ask you will never learn. There are no "dumb" questions.

:hearts:
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

DarleneG
65 Roses
Tag line: Encourage One Another

Post by DarleneG » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:17 am

:hello: Heinz, After I wrote my story and saw no comments, I thought I'd made a mistake in writing what I went through as an ECP. (electronically challenged poet). So thank you for your message today telling me you are pleased with what I wrote. That was a relief! Otherwise, I was getting ready to delete it. :thumbsup:
"Poetry is what in a poem makes your toenails twinkle."----Dylan Thomas
**Member of the Month**
July 2012

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Post by heinzs » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:28 pm

I don't get on here as often as I once did... so there may be weeks or more between my posts. I always respond to posts in the questions forum since they go to my email. Anytime you want post there, or on Facebook.

Heinz
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

Return to “Prose, Stories, Roleplays, Story Poems and Epics”