Survival 6 - Discovery

A place to enjoy the interactive sport of Roleplay exercises, post your prose, short stories, story poems, prose poems and epics. This forum does not autoprune

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway, moonflower

Jadynara
Melpomenes Heiress

Survival 6 - Discovery

Post by Jadynara » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:43 pm

The next morning I woke to the smell of breakfast cooking. Sitting up slowly to avoid a head rush I glanced around taking note of all the work the girls had done. They must have been up for a few hours already and I smiled to myself with the realization they had allowed me to sleep in. Off to one side of our little circle, there was almost a full cord of firewood. Next to it was a small stack of tins each marked with a different tag, the names of fruits written on each, next to them, clear glass dishes with lids which were filled with different types of jerky. Becca finally noticed I was awake and made her way over to me with a cup and a giddy expression. she handed me the cup which was full of the most wonderful smelling hot tea, then she reached into her pocket and pulled out a small bottle filled with a thick golden liquid. "It's honey!" she exclaimed, barely able to contain her excitement at such a treat. She poured a dollup into my cup and giggled a little. Quietly I thanked her and took a sip, and a low moan of pleasure escaped my throat as I swallowed it down. It was undescribably delicious.

I hadn't seen either Jenn or Chrysta since I woke, and was about to ask Becca where they were when Chrysta came into view around the corner of a building off to my left. It was obviously the direction in which the garden we'd found the night before was in because her arms were overflowing with potatoes and carrots and what looked to be a tomato plant and a green bean vine. My mouth watered once again at the thought of fresh vegetables. She smiled brilliantly at me and unloaded her arms near the other stacks of supplies, before bouncing her way across the camp to me and wrapping me in a tight embrace. Laughing softly I hugged her back and then put my hands on her shoulders and held her an arms length away from me. "Where did that come from?" I inquired with a warm smile. She shrugged and her mocha skin took on a pink hue " Just look at all this Kenz" she said, her voice full of astonished wonder, "we could stay here for a good long time." she said more quietly, sheepishly looking away. Becca was standing behind her and put a hand on her shoulder, a silent signal that she was in agreement with Chrysta.
I looked at them both carefully, judging their commitment to this idea. With a soft sigh I shook my head smiling slightly, " We can talk about it after we've done some more looking around." I told them, and they both burst into grins. "Where's Jenn?" I asked them. "She found a bunch of journals," said Chrysta, "she's been reading them for the last two hours in a house over there." as she pointed toward the east wall. "Show me?" I asked her and Chrysta got up and offered me her hand leading me off to wherever Jenn was. "Bring her back for breakfast soon!" Becca called after us as we walked down the path.

The house we came to looked like every other house in the village, made of perfect cobalt colored stones that fit so closely together you couldnt slide a blade between them. The Drahkin were certainly masters of their craft. Chrysta called out to Jenn letting her know it was us coming in and then swung the door inwards. The doorframe was where the similarities with the rest of the buildings in the village ended. The decorating.... the walls... the organization of the furniture... everything in the house stated profoundly that a human had lived there. I wandered awestruck through the kitchen and into the rounded doorway that led to the living room where Jenn was sprawled on a huge fluffly carpet surrounded by piles of leather bound journals some opened and some not. She was focused intensely on the two in front of her. One was open to a page with a picture drawn on it of a strange looking contraption of some sort, the other was filled with small neat hand writing and she kept going back and forth between them making vocal notes to herself when she found the description and the drawing corresponded to each other.
I smiled standing there watching her. "Jenn," I said softly, "where did you find all these?" "Well," she answered still focused on the pages in front of her, "we were looking through all the houses for stuff we could use, ya know? Anyways, there was this one place that had a lot of book shelves, and I thought maybe I could learn some more about all that stuff my parents didn't tell me, like the stuff you guys were talkin' 'bout last night. So, I started readin', but Chrys said we had ta keep goin' so I gathered up a bunch and set 'em by the door. We made it through a bunch more buildings, 'till we found this one. Chrys said for sure you'd wanna see it so we stopped here. Chrys went to do the garden thing and I went and got my books and got comfy here on the rug." She tore her gaze away from the page long enough to look up at me anad smile briefly before sticking her nose right back into her book. "Is that so?" I acknowleged her briefly. "This is a human house, I think" she stated before she quietly started making her vocal notes again.

Chrysta looked at me with raised eye brows and good heartedly mocked Jenn moving her head from side to side and mouthing the same words about the house being human. "I saw that." said Jenn, and the two of us disolved into laughter as Jenn looked up and stuck her tongue out. It was nice to relax and have a bit of fun after dealing with so much stress over the past few days. Even though we were poking fun at Jenn I actually had to agree with her... this home was clearly lived din, cleaned and decorated by a human. "I'm going to look around." I told Chrysta as she turned to walk back into the kitchen. "Ok," she said, "but din't forget bout breakfast or you'll hurt Becca's feelings." I nodded in response then turned to explore more of the house. "I'll bring this lump with me," I called over my shoulder, bumping Jenn with my foot as I passed by her. She looked up at me with contempt, "Oh, come on." she said sounding exasperated. I flashed a bright smile at her and moved into the next room.

The room was small and round and held a series pair staircases on each side along with an arched doorway directly across from me. Looking up the staircases on the right, seeing a lot of light shining down from one and jet blackness at the top of the other I decided to explore the rest of the first floor before heading into whatever was up there. Moving through the archway I discovered a large, ornately furnished nursery. The crib and changing table were hand carved out of a deep mahogany and with in the beautiful carvings there was a name. Ualani, a beautiful name for a little girl... it was one I'd heard before - it meant something along the lines of rain from heaven. The nursery was pristine and it looked as if the baby had never made it into her room. I sat in a rocking chair set up near the bookshelf against one of the walls, taking a few of the childrens books and leafing through them. My own children at the front of my thoughts. As the tears began to flow I got up, quickly realizing that if I sat here much longer I'd break down. Jenn was in the other room so for now, that wasn't an option.

I came back through the stair room and into the living room. "Get up Jenn, you can come back later." I said as I offered her my hand. She took it and together we went back to have breakfast with the other girls. We enjoyed a hearty meal filled with smiles and laughter. It was the best time any of us had, had since our little band had found each other. Something about the light, and lack there of at the top of those staircases nagged at me all through out the time we ate and I resolved to go back and explore in detail each part of the house. It was out of place in the Drahkin village and there had to be an explination somewhere in there as to why. I was going to find it.
So we're lost, at least we've found each other. Take my hand, if we can't find our way out of the dark, we can make our own light. - Nicole M. Goretzke 2011

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Re: Survival 6 - Discovery

Post by heinzs » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:45 pm

Long hiatus between installments... lol.

:thumbsup: :hello:
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

Jadynara
Melpomenes Heiress

Post by Jadynara » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:16 pm

I told you I'm trying to get back into my writing brain. I'm gonna see if I cant get together with Saturn and link up with some publishing if i can develop this the way I'd like. I am very open to any critique out there or ideas or anything like that.

:cheers:

Jady :computer:
So we're lost, at least we've found each other. Take my hand, if we can't find our way out of the dark, we can make our own light. - Nicole M. Goretzke 2011

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011

Post by LadySaturn » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:09 am

:thewave: :thewave: About time girl.. I'm working on Poetry Familia 18 amongst other things..

Return to “Prose, Stories, Roleplays, Story Poems and Epics”