Hourglass of Sanity

A place to enjoy the interactive sport of Roleplay exercises, post your prose, short stories, story poems, prose poems and epics. This forum does not autoprune

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway, moonflower

thief of dreams
surrounded by shadows

Hourglass of Sanity

Post by thief of dreams » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:00 pm

I spent an hour scared to death that they some how knew I was huddled in this drainage tunnel out in the desert. You want to think they have only the most basic of instinctual minds, like predators in the animal kingdom, but some of them seem to have evolved into something more, something different. I swear to God sometimes it is like they just know where you are.

Without an escape route to fall back on I am left trying like crazy to see into the dark of the tunnel. It seemed like a good idea at the time, a safe place to duck out of sight and get my wits back but my nerves are so frayed after what I saw today that the only thing I can do is tighten my grip on the shotgun to try and steady my shaking hands.

I still can not fully believe what happened. It all seemed too much like a dream. Almost like what I imagine an out of body experience would be like. I don’t really know though since I haven’t ever had one. Maybe I did today. Did you hear that? Wait!

Nothing there, Jesus I really need to calm down. I’m safe for now, the wind was blowing Southwest which is why I came out this way to begin with. I don’t think fallout can move upwind, can it?

Oh God the bombs. I don’t even want to think about it. We didn’t know what was going on. The power was out all over town; even places with generators couldn’t get anything on the televisions or radios. I remember hearing air raid sirens for about twenty seconds early in the day before we started to see them. Even those seemed to be cut short. Now I guess maybe the Army or whoever already knew and they just didn’t want us to know. That doesn’t make any sense though. I mean, we could have tried to do something.

Them, they… What are they? Not zombies, they don’t walk around with outstretched arms moaning. Someone said they were dead though, like ghosts come back to life or something. I think he was slightly crazy to begin with but I just don’t know. I know they kill though. Like wolves or mountain lions, they tear and bite, tearing people apart. I think I’m going to be sick.

Sorry, ok I know what you’re thinking. Surely I am crazy and locked away in an asylum somewhere but I swear to you I’m not. I saw them. We all did. Everyone was trying to flee and it was like being caught in a tide in the ocean. One block would be running for their lives and turn a corner to crash into another group either trying to flee the other way or a sea of looters who didn’t know yet what was coming and why people were breaking into buildings and offices.

We made it to the edge of town in Chris’ jeep by keeping off the actual roads and were headed for the mountains when the first bomb went off. I can not even begin to explain how bright it was. The brightest thing you can imagine is like a shadow compared to this. We felt the heat from the light itself. I know that sounds impossible but I swear it to be true. It was over by the coast though, no where near us but we knew we had to do something…

I really wish Chris and Sabrina were here right now. I can’t believe they’re gone…

Shut up! I heard something!

“Just be quiet…”

Do you see that? Down there, are those?

“Oh God no, eyes, I can see the eyes!”
"Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler."
Friedrich Nietzsche

thief of dreams
surrounded by shadows

Re: Hourglass of Sanity

Post by thief of dreams » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:00 pm

Just a little something to try and get my head back into writing. Might do a couple more little pieces before I try to begin tackling the big project but these will all give a little glimpse into what is planned...
"Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler."
Friedrich Nietzsche

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Post by heinzs » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:18 pm

Good first installment.

:thumbsup:
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

thief of dreams
surrounded by shadows

Post by thief of dreams » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:10 pm

They are gonna be more like little mini episodes. I don't think any of the characters will make it into the final story but we shall see...
Friedrich Nietzsche

thief of dreams
surrounded by shadows

Post by thief of dreams » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:30 pm

Probably wont use much of the 'religious' parts from Fall Begins in the actual story and damn sure will be abandoning the whole 2012 thing as well.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Prose, Stories, Roleplays, Story Poems and Epics”