A Chance

A place to enjoy the interactive sport of Roleplay exercises, post your prose, short stories, story poems, prose poems and epics. This forum does not autoprune

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway, moonflower

Black Star Shine
Demonic Grinning Poet
Tag line: You Haunt My Soul

A Chance

Post by Black Star Shine » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:16 pm

I strained against the chians that were wrapped around my wrists and ankles. I wanted to go, even if it was for the mission, I wanted out of this place again. Having to come back every day made me sick. I had tried to run, several times, but they would catch me.

Stefan, my 'caretaker' walked into the cell. "Knock, knock!" He called out to me. Stefan was a tall boy, marked with their mark, the poorly drawn swirl down his right shoulder. I myself bore one of these painful tattoo's. "You hungry?" He asked, crouching down in front of me.

I snarled at him, even though he couldn't see that from the inside of my bite mask. "If you come any closer, I'll rip your throat out."

Stefan was a smart boy, unlike the last caretaker, and backed away slowly. "Well, you need to eat before you can go hunting tonight." He grabbed a tray he had brought with him and set it down between us.

"I'm not taking any of that s**t you call food." I growled through clentched teeth.

Stefan sighed. "Jason, I dont think you really have a choice...." He picked up a needled syringe and held it eye level. "I just need you to copperate this time."

"Never." I said, jerking away from his hand as he grabbed my arm. "They will see! I'm stronger then them!"

Stefan struck me with the needle, pushing the black liquid into my arm. My muscles relaxed and I fell limply into a slouch in my chains. "There you go." Stefan whispered. "I'll go get your things."

I was almost out. Going to do what they wanted me to. I clenched my fists open and closed several times as the machine crackled out instructions.

"...Remember, you're looking for red iris's in the victim's, this is your indicator to whether or not they are a threat...."

I had heard this message too many time in my life. I cocked my head around, popping it in several places. The red scarf around my mouth kept me from bitting, but just barely, it wavered behind me like a shadow following me everywhere.

"...Dispose of the body in the grave yard, in the pre-dug hole...."

I felt as light as air as I bounced on the heels of my feet, pummped for the task. The top hat I wore incase victim's went somewhere formal sat securly on my head, no doubt leaving a crease in my jet black hair.

"...Return before morning. You are set to hunt."

There was a beep, similar to that of a microwave, as the two double doors exposed me to a fresh taste of darkness. The smells of exhaust and fast food wafted into my nostrials, leaving a hint of a rusty smell. I took my first step onto the black pavement.

Free

I breathed in several more times before setting off towards my favorite hunting spot. They had recruited me when I was 16, three years ago. Almost every night I was sent out to hunt for the demons. They were trapped in human form, the only way that these demons could ever survive on earth. Their job was to destroy man kind. Thats why They sent me and many others like me out, to save man kind.

I listened for sounds of footsteps other then my own. My eyes darted around, searching for moving shadows. My feet steped routinely around trash and other items that would give away my position. I fingered the smord I had attatched to my belt. Tonight was the night.

Something moved out of the corner of my eye. I followed it, keeping at a low profile. The man was carrying a large brief case and looking around nervously. He turned at just the right angle to where I caught the glint of red in his eye.

I attacked. Stabbing him in the gut. "We warned you." I said, my voice dripping with venomous threat. The man let out a painful and shocked cry.

"You may have, but we're stronger then you will ever be!" He grabbed my hands that were grasping the hilt and pulled them in towards him. His face cringed in pain as the sword went clean through his body. He slid off the end of the sword, lifeless.

"Great" I mummbled to myself. Now I had to drag him across town to the graveyard. I grabbed under his arms and started hauling him towards the cemetary. Once there I found the hole by the far north end. I tossed the body carelessly into it and brushed off my clothes. "Job done." I stated to the air.

I started to walk back towards where they were stationed, when I stopped in my tracks. What was I doing? Now was the time. I could escape, be a human again! I could be...

Free...

I turned and ran in the opposite direction, not daring to look back. I felt the mark on my back pulsing with fire as they discovered my plan.

Run.

Run.

Run.

I told my self over and over.

Dont stop.

My back burned, slowing me down as I reached the outskirts of town. There was the screach of car wheels behind me. I kept running.

Run.

Run.

Run.

"Jason!" I heard their voices calling to me from the car. "Jason stop!" I shifted my weight and dashed down a narrow allyway. "Damnit! Go after him!" they yelled as I heard the slams of car doors.

There were many feet pounding on the pavement behind me. Possibly five people on my tail. I made sharp turns, trying to loose them, if I could just do that, I would be free.

Free...

Run.

Run.

Run.

I screamed out in pain as a rope was thrown around my neck, a noose. I was jerked back onto the concrete. My head hit hard, causing me to see stars. "Hold him down!" I hear the some what familiar voices calling to each other, but I cant tell them apart from each other. "Get the shot!".

"Dont hurt him!" That one I recognized. Stefan. I opened my eyes slightly to see his unmistakable figure. "Jason! Are you okay?!" He called out.

The red scarf fell from my mouth as he loosened it to talk to me. His fingers were close, too close. I snapped my jaws at him, catching the skin on knuckle of his ring finger. I spit in his face as I tried to bite him again. Some one threw a bite mask over my head and tightened it in the back. I struggled against the rope that was cutting off my air supply. They had my arms pinned down, I was trapped.

"Jason! Its me!" Stefan called, confused about why I attacked him. I was able to free my left hand from the person holding it down, I swung at Stefan and struck him hard in the jaw. He grabbed his face and screamed out in agony.

"You never did anything to stop them!" I yelled at him as he wallowed in pain. "You never once helped me! You are part of the reason I'm still here!"

He didnt respond, his jaw was obviously broken. They pinned me down again. I felt something sharp slide into the back of my neck. My body started to stop responding to my mind. Again, like when Stefan fed me, my body became limp.
I blacked out, with only one thought still ringing out in my mind.

Free...

...Free....

Return to “Prose, Stories, Roleplays, Story Poems and Epics”