The Performance of a lifetime

A place to enjoy the interactive sport of Roleplay exercises, post your prose, short stories, story poems, prose poems and epics. This forum does not autoprune

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway, moonflower

Black Star Shine
Demonic Grinning Poet
Tag line: You Haunt My Soul

The Performance of a lifetime

Post by Black Star Shine » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:51 am

Mr. Waymen stared me down as he pointed his conductors stick 'I expect you to be there or you WILL fail this band class!'

'Oh, I’ll be there alright!' I snarled as I shoved my French horn into its case, 'Over your dead body!'

'Little missy! Don’t you talk to me in that tone or I’ll have you--' I never heard what he said after that, the door clicked shut behind me as I walked down the PVA hall mumbling to myself how stupid it was to try and join band. All he had done this year was breath down our necks about how sucky we are since we didn’t have any seniors because it was a brand new school.

'Hey! Jakky! Wait up!' Called a fellow horn player. I wheeled around to face him. His name was Callin and he was the most gorgeous guy in the Band. His long fingers always amazed me when ever we had fast parts or such and I could never tear my eyes away from his dazzling smile.

'H-hi Callin.' I stuttered.

'Don’t listen to him, he's just a jerk.' His words didn’t do much for my attitude.

'Look, thanks for coming out here and all, but I'm not going to show up tonight!' I never wanted to attend another band practice, let alone a performance, even if it was the last one of the year. 'He has 4 other horn players and a whole frickin' band, what the hell does he need me for?!'

'Will you just trust me and come tonight?' His pleading eyes scorched through my soul, dragging me down into his fiery pits of hell.

'Maybe' I said walking away, switching my horn between hands unknowingly.

'Welcome tonight to our final School Band concert. Tonight you will be treated with the pleasure of our Symphonic band, Jazz Band, and Percussion ensemble, and a special guest Pianist!'

I fidgeted with my skirt and rubbed the fingerprints off the silver bell of my double horn. Callin was sitting next to me and grinning... the whole band was grinning at me... it was extremely creepy! Waymen gave the first downbeat as the clarinets whispered their soft note, echoed by the flutes. This was our slow song from our festival music, the only one that featured a French horn player, obviously Callin.

We Played through our March and our Overture excellently! Then we joined the audience to watch the Jazz and Percussionist do their thing.

'Now folks, the members of the band have brought to my attention a very talented student fo ours.' Mr. Waymen said as some boy's pushed out the grand piano onto the stage. The band members started giggling and talking to one another. 'And it is very apparent to me that this hard working student, who is very stubborn also, has been selected as a special guest pianist. Jakky Ovenlr, will you please come up here.'

Everyone started clapping around me... But I was frozen still. I couldn’t move or think. Who the hell found out I played the piano?! And why were they going to embarrass me like this?!

Callin pulled me up and guided me to the piano, 'I’ll turn your pages' He whispered as the applauds and cheers got louder and louder. On the piano was a copy of Rhapsody in Blue by Gershwin. Oh my goodness... they chose THAT piece?! It was by far my greatest accomplishment but THAT piece!!

The hall fell silent as I played the first trill tentatively, letting my mind go blank and just stared at the black dots. The next thing I knew, the audience was giving me a standing ovation! Shocked sick, I stood and bowed slightly. Waymen practically ran onto the stage and spoke quickly into the microphone. 'Wow! I’ve never seen someone play for 13 minutes and keep the audience entertained the whole time! Thank you so much Jakky!!!! It’s been a wonderful experience having you in my class this year!!! GIVE IT UP FOR JAKKY!!!' The crowd got louder and louder.

'You know i'm going to kill who ever told on me!' I laughed at Mr. Waymen. 'But hey, thanks for being a jerk to me and keeping me motivated!'

'No prob!' He said, I want you to meet someone. He led me through the crowd of people giving me congratulations. In the corner, away from all the people, was a man standing in dark blue slacks and a white button down shirt. 'Jakky, this is Mr. Williams. he's from the Arts Academy.'

I shook the mans hand and said 'Hello'.

'Quite a performance you showed out there!' He said, smilling a jolly smile. 'Have you ever considered going big? We have a spot reserved especially for you at the Academy.'

I couldn't help but smile also. Thank goodness someone told on me!

Return to “Prose, Stories, Roleplays, Story Poems and Epics”