Thrash Metal Rant

A place to enjoy the interactive sport of Roleplay exercises, post your prose, short stories, story poems, prose poems and epics. This forum does not autoprune

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway, moonflower

JGarrison
Babbling Brook Poet

Thrash Metal Rant

Post by JGarrison » Tue May 06, 2008 4:40 pm

as someone who waited till fourteen to get into metal, i was first introduced to the genre through bands like Metallica, Slayer, and bit of Testament, and of course a handful of Megadeth... and since then the San Fransico Bay has been a Wailing Wall of sorts to me... a metal kingdom fallen into total disarray, forgetting its brutal distorted heritage in favor of, dare i say, some pretty cool hip hop... but no matter what the hip hop from the bay has never been able to conquer my heart the way the thrash metal of the mid to late 80's has... but now i'm seeing a resurrgence in the style, oddly enough led by, in my opinion, bay area veterans Testament... with their first album in 9 years they have not only shown that the bay can still thrash but in a big way they have reinvented the hallowed niche in heavy metal.... and with younger bands like Black Tide and Warbringer following closely behind thrash metal has found a new generation... its a beautiful thing to hear purist thrash within the conveluded jungle of metalcore and numetal, not to take away from the bands that inhabit those genres, but they will never be as metal as bay area thrash can be to me... while thrash may not be as tight, the screams not near as brutal, thrash metal inhabits a grey area where the general attitude takes as much precedence as the music... the raw yelled, not screamed, vocals; the guitar riffs that while not incredibly precise still reak of raw emotion and anger, the drums filling in every spare moment leaving no milisecond unpummeled... these are the things that i love about bay area thrash, and as a metal head i am more than thrilled to see these aspects returning to the genre... to long have we gone with over technical, over thought, solo devoid music, its once again time for the seven minute song with three different solos to take reign and guide us into another metal rennisiance....
“What’s in store for me in the direction I don’t take?”

-Jack Kerouac-

Black Star Shine
Demonic Grinning Poet
Tag line: You Haunt My Soul

Re: Thrash Metal Rant

Post by Black Star Shine » Wed May 14, 2008 3:22 pm

wonderful insight on this genre of music, i personally love all and any kind of music, but i havent heard of thrash metal before, i sahll look it up! i know i'm bound to like it!

JGarrison
Babbling Brook Poet

Post by JGarrison » Wed May 14, 2008 4:31 pm

if you've heard of metallica, slayer, anthrax, megadeth, testament, exodus, saxon, etc etc then you've heard thrash metal :P some would even argue shadows fall is thrash, i being the purist i am, respectfully disagree though :P

-Jack Kerouac-

Black Star Shine
Demonic Grinning Poet

Post by Black Star Shine » Wed May 14, 2008 4:39 pm

lol i've heard some of metallica but the others dont ring a bell, i'll look 'em up!

JGarrison
Babbling Brook Poet

Post by JGarrison » Thu May 15, 2008 12:49 am

:shock: i'm so sorry that you live in utah now... :lol:

-Jack Kerouac-

Black Star Shine
Demonic Grinning Poet

Post by Black Star Shine » Thu May 15, 2008 2:02 pm

lol i like utah! dont dis on my home! jk i'm sure my sister has some of those bands somewhere in her massive music collection, i'll ask her when i see her this weekend!

JGarrison
Babbling Brook Poet

Post by JGarrison » Tue May 20, 2008 11:54 am

have any luck?

-Jack Kerouac-

gordy
Windfall Prophet

Post by gordy » Tue May 20, 2008 12:14 pm

my headbanging days are long gone, its good to know that testament is still going strong. how many original members are there........im guessing chuck billy is still singing? "practice what you preach" is one of my favorite all time albums. :mrgreen:
-----------------------------

My Jesus hung out with thieves and sluts and liars, which Jesus do you worship?

---Todd Agnew

Perfection is my enemy
Procrastination is his cohort
Persistence is my sword

---Gordy

Black Star Shine
Demonic Grinning Poet

Post by Black Star Shine » Tue May 20, 2008 2:07 pm

lol it was my sisters 21st birthday this weekend when i went and saw her, so she was pretty wasted when i asked her and she gave me some Flo Rida CD, lmfao, so i'll have to ask some of my frieends at school

JGarrison
Babbling Brook Poet

Post by JGarrison » Tue May 20, 2008 2:48 pm

my headbanging days are long gone, its good to know that testament is still going strong. how many original members are there........im guessing chuck billy is still singing? "practice what you preach" is one of my favorite all time albums.
its the entire origional lineup minus the origional drummer, instead they've got dave lomardo who played for them for a couple albums and also played with slayer... its pretty cool...
lol it was my sisters 21st birthday this weekend when i went and saw her, so she was pretty wasted when i asked her and she gave me some Flo Rida CD, lmfao, so i'll have to ask some of my frieends at school
haha yeah 21st birthday usually isn't the best time to expect a coherent answer from anybody... the ones you'll be most likely to find out of those i listed are pry megadeth and slayer, maybe some anthrax... exodus and saxon are the type of bands you have to be a bit of a metal geek to know about :twisted: hell its tough to find saxon albums on anything but vinyl, and exodus isn't much easier to find, but if you happen to stumble upon either they're both awesome bands...

-Jack Kerouac-

Black Star Shine
Demonic Grinning Poet

Post by Black Star Shine » Tue May 20, 2008 3:41 pm

looked some of them up on youtube! AWESOME!!!!!

JGarrison
Babbling Brook Poet

Post by JGarrison » Tue May 20, 2008 7:33 pm

told ya thrash metal rules :D... little known metal fact... or maybe i'm just being facietious in thinking its not common knowledge... but a little american metal 101 class for ya here...

metallica origionally wrote thier first album Kill Em All with dave mustaine on guitar, mustaine got kicked out of the band for he drug use (metallica were alcoholics more than drug users lol) mustaine went off and formed Megadeth... to replace mustaine metallica stole Exodus' 20 year old guitarist by the name of Kirk Hammett... then in 86' when bassist Cliff Burton was killed in a bus accident he was replaced by former Flotsam and Jetsam bassist Jason Newsted... then again in oh i wanna say 02 Newsted got sick of drummer Lars (douchebag) Ulric and James (king of the apes) Hetfield and left the band, he in turn was replaced by former Suicidal Tendencies bassist Robert Trujillo... don't ask me how i remember all this crap... and no i didn't have to look any of that up to write this just now lol... i am that much of a geek :oops:

-Jack Kerouac-

Black Star Shine
Demonic Grinning Poet

Post by Black Star Shine » Tue May 20, 2008 8:00 pm

haha i love it, i could go on for hours aobut any music and i love hearing about it too! so dont think your a geek lol. you wanna hear aobut a geek, this person... well me actually... i started playing the piano when i was... umm... 5 and so that makes 11 years on me then in 7th grade i started out on the clarinet. by 8th grade i added french horn onto that so i was in two band classes a day beggining (french horn) and intermediet( bass clarinet) then last year, 9th grade, not only was i in advanced band (bass clar.) and intermediet (french h) i was in full orchestra on both of those including a clarinet and then i was also involved in a city band that played once a wekk on both instruments. then to top THAT year off, i was a fricken TA for the band teacher... that year i got "band student of the year" award (the only one in the school)... :oops: ...and then this year i'm playing bass clar. in the highschool Concert band, pep band, and pit orchestra.... now THATS a geek!!!!! lmfao, jsut so you know lol. your not a geek!

JGarrison
Babbling Brook Poet

Post by JGarrison » Wed May 21, 2008 12:12 am

i've played guitar since i was 14, i still cant read a single bar of music, i dabble in bass and drums... wish i could play piano but lack the talent, also wish i could play violin, hurdy gurdy, bagpipes, and about a million other insturments, but alas music is an expensive hobby... mostly though i'm a geek in the fact that i can recite band histories... i can listen to any given ozzy song, hear nothing but the guitar and tell you who is playing guitar for him and chances are what album its off of, i can recite album titles, release years, band members, bands that traded members, bands that influenced other bands, on and on... i'm a little encyclopedia like in that aspect and a lot of times i get looks from people that just say "how and why the hell do you know that?" i just remember random ass information especially when it pertains to bands for some reason...

-Jack Kerouac-

Black Star Shine
Demonic Grinning Poet

Post by Black Star Shine » Wed May 21, 2008 2:32 pm

if you can play the guitar by ear but not read music, dont say thats not a talent! i wish i could do that, but i have to have music infront of me or i'm nothing! music is an expensive hobby unfortunatly, thats why i love wriitng too, hell pay 50 cents for a note book and pen and your set for about a month! i personally thinks its really cool that you know so much info! i jsut put in the CD and learn the songs and sing to them i could never remember any information like that, THATS a talent right there! dont be ashamed of it!

Return to “Prose, Stories, Roleplays, Story Poems and Epics”