Apocalypse (part one) (collaboration anyone?)

A place to enjoy the interactive sport of Roleplay exercises, post your prose, short stories, story poems, prose poems and epics. This forum does not autoprune

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway, moonflower

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Apocalypse (part one) (collaboration anyone?)

Post by heinzs » Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:28 am

Ok. I've had trouble with this one, and my vampire story "Into Terror", for almost a year now. If anyone has any suggestions or storyboarding ideas they would be welcome. I don't mind switching these into a collaborative effort between two or more authors.

Apocalypse
(part one)

Jake awoke to gut-wrenching pain. His head, his limbs, and his right side felt on fire and throbbed to his heartbeat. He couldn't see from his left eye, and the right one only registered a cloudy, unfocused view. The flicker of flames lit the area - bathing all in a lurid orange glow. Deep shadows seemed to dance around the shifting light.

He got a hand up to his forehead and it came away sticky with blood. The left side of his face was swollen and he winced at his own touch. He was able to force the eyelids open and the flash of light reassured him that at least the eye was still there. Slowly the recent events began to gel and create a growing memory in his mind. He struggled to his feet and looked around him.

It was a scene from Hell! He stumbled over a headless corpse to fall upon another, complete one - face to face. The dead eyes seemed to stare through him as he recoiled and regained his feet. Slowly sound began to register - a pervasive roaring and the crackling of flame. And the smell! Burnt flesh mixed with carrion stench, and a hint of sulfur and diesel fuel.

It had started innocently enough - or so Jake thought. No one could have predicted the strange course of events that was beginning to unfold.

"Jake!" Dan had said on the phone, "You'll never believe what I've found!"

Of course Jake was skeptical - Dan had made so many "discoveries" in the last ten years - only to find out they were sad hoaxes and nothing genuine at all.

"I've located the Seal!"

Dan was very excited, and Jake found it difficult not to be drawn in by his enthusiasm. The Seal of Solomon was a prize that many had sought, and even more considered to be an imaginary item, not real at all. Dan had spent many years searching for clues, as had Jake. But after so many dead ends and false starts - Jake tried not to be moved by Dan's fervor.

"How many times have I heard that?" Jake asked, "What do you want from me this time?"

"Meet me in Cairo. I have one more tract to decipher, and I need your insight into that - but this'll pinpoint the last location for sure!"

Jake had consulted for Dan many times - travelling all over the world in the process. He'd always been paid well - so he agreed, and packed up for the trip.

Cairo had changed in 5 years since Jake's last visit. If it were possible, it was even busier than ever before. Jake navigated the crowded streets to his destination. None of the local taxi drivers would enter the part of the city to which he needed to go, so he travelled on foot. He had planned for this eventuality, and dressed in a fashion that did not immediately draw attention to himself as a "foreigner".
Last edited by heinzs on Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Watson
Forever Silent Friend

Post by Tom Watson » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:31 am

HeinzS, I wouldn't mind collaborating with you on this, if you would accept me. If you want to PM me with a general direction you want to go, though the title sort gives away where you want to end. :evil:
and at whal level you are looking for collaboration on?
I am still on the role play and the Reed and the Sword is still sitting in the back of my mind, but this story kind a gives me that tingle and itch to let something out of the cage.
Let me know what you think.

Tom
"Whispers of Love" a book of poetry expressing love of the heart and spirit is released worldwide on August 11, 2009. Visit my home page at
Books From Grace for more information or Amazon.com

heinzs
The Fat Cat

Post by heinzs » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:44 am

Hey, at this point full 50-50 authorship is fine by me. If your muse tingles, follow her lead. I have no preconceived destinations for this or the "into terror" piece, other than I'd love to have them become 'finished' *grin*.

Thanks Tom.
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

Tom Watson
Forever Silent Friend

Post by Tom Watson » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:03 pm

Dan sat back in the wicker chair, looking out the window to the street below. Where the shadow of the building ended, little waves of heated air made the street appear to be behind a thin gossamer curtain.
“Damn, where could he be? The plane landed hours ago!” Dan thought as he took another sip of the iced tea and returned it to the sweat ring he had lifted it from.
Reaching over to the camel skin pouch, he absently rubbed his fingers over the contents, reassuring himself it was still there.
Ever since he discovered it in sand caves behind the deserted ruins of Caanan, he had had this feeling of being followed; a feeling sensed, more than heard, of footsteps echoing his own as he went about his daily routines.
He instinctively felt for the shoulder holster and weapon as he thought of the previous night’s incident.
He was returning from an evening meal at the nearest American cuisine restaurant, again with that feeling of eyes watching him from behind, and his footsteps seeming to echo themselves on the street.
Crossing a street, he glanced at a show window of a clothing store facing him and saw two men a short distance behind. Not pausing in his walk he continued toward his apartment. “I know those guys” he thought, “they were in the restaurant”, remembering how he had thought they didn’t seem to fit into the ambience of the place.
The sidewalk and street had emptied pretty much and soon it was just him and the two characters behind him, and they had started picking up their pace.
Sweat began to drip down Dan’s shirt collar as he arrived at the apartment he lived in. Fortunately it was a secure building with pass keys required for entry, which Dan fumbled with as he tried to quickly enter. The footsteps drew closer as he fumbled with, and dropped the key card. He quickly bent to pick it up when he heard a soft “thump” above his head. Inserting the card to release the lock as he rose back up to open the door, he saw a strange dart object stuck in the door at neck level. Not stopping to think further, he quickly slid inside and shut the door behind him.
“Jesus, what the hell was that all about?!” he shakily murmured.
He stood against the door, trying to get his breath and allow the sudden surge of adrenaline to ease off. After a moment, he turned to peer out the door peephole. Seeing no one and hearing no further sounds, he slowly eased the door open to examine the dart like object, prepared to slam it shut at the slightest noise.
Everything remained quiet as he slowly looked around the door edge to see nothing was there; only a small hole with splintered wood around it.
He had shut the door then and rushed up to his room, locking the door behind him. He then had pulled the case from under his bed and from a small case inside, had removed the shoulder holster and weapon he now wore.

Sitting just out of view from any in the street below, and grateful for the Sun being behind the building, he watched anxiously for Jake’s arrival.
Still absently rubbing the item inside the pouch, Dan realized that the object inside may be more dangerous than valuable, and doubt began to slide into his mind as to whether his true mission here was worth what it may cost both him and Jake.

Debbie
God's Poetess

Heinz & Tom

Post by Debbie » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:30 pm

ok ok you guys have me interested where's the next page ... :roll:

Hey keep the story going it is so intriguing... :cool:

Reach Out And Love Someone
Slow Down And Look around
You Will Find Someone Who Needs You.....

heinzs
The Fat Cat

Post by heinzs » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:53 pm

Thanks for your comment, Tom (and for picking up the pen at this late point). "he stumbled over a headless corpse to fall upon another - face to face." meaning he fell upon a second corpse with a head... I've tried to clarify this in the text by adding "..., complete one - ". Tell me if that helps.

Thanks Deb. This has been in limbo over two years... you'll just have to rein in your suspense...

:lol:

Heinz

Debbie
God's Poetess

Heinz and Tom

Post by Debbie » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:17 pm

I WILL

For the next chapter... :lol:

Reach Out And Love Someone
Slow Down And Look around
You Will Find Someone Who Needs You.....

heinzs
The Fat Cat

Re: Apocalypse (part one) (collaboration anyone?)

Post by heinzs » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:05 am

Tom is no longer with us to add to this. Anyone want to collaborate? Post your section as a reply.

heinzs
The Fat Cat

Re: Apocalypse (part one) (collaboration anyone?)

Post by heinzs » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:49 am

So instead of being a "Role Play" I'd like to make this a sequential collaborative story with anyone interested able to post a section. Same rules as role play apply, though. No killing off a character without consultation since someone may have been working on something involving him/her.

I eagerly await and anticipate responses... :mrgreen:

(but I"ve learned long ago not to hold my breath...)

Return to “Prose, Stories, Roleplays, Story Poems and Epics”