The Law and Weed

A place to enjoy the interactive sport of Roleplay exercises, post your prose, short stories, story poems, prose poems and epics. This forum does not autoprune

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway, moonflower

Leysa
Mistress of the South

The Law and Weed

Post by Leysa » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:09 pm

A bit of a true life story and some random thoughts associated with the story:

Two weeks ago my 18-year-old son was arrested for selling weed. The cops waited on a street near my house for my son to return home (thankfully they didn’t just bust down my door), arrested him, and served a search warrant for my house.

My son explained that I had no knowledge of his crime, but the officers said they were going to board up my house and take it from me anyway. In their search of my son’s room they found a quarter pound of weed, already bagged for selling, several pipes, bongs and a hunting rifle. He was charged with possession with intent and for having a firearm. It was an unloaded rifle another kid had left with my son. Probably in payment for weed.

I was called at work and told by the detective in charge, to get to my house immediately. Of course I drove right over there. They threatened me. Told me I was crazy for not knowing he was selling weed. Showed me what was confiscated. Told me my house would be boarded up as a drug house and taken from me. I was hysterical.

I called my boss who called the city attorney and then I called my attorney. We got the action to board up my house stopped. I had to agree that my son would never step foot in my house again. Again, he’s 18.

There was no money in his room because he had cashed his paycheck from his minimum wage job and bought $200 worth of weed to sell. Why, you might ask. The police had been hounding him a lot lately -- I didn't know this because he kept it from me so I wouldn't worry. He got a ticket every other day and was paying $500 fines left and right. He finally couldn’t afford to pay the fines with his legally earned pay and resorted to selling weed to make enough to pay the fines. Ironic.

Honestly he had been selling weed before. He and I had talked about it. I had threatened and he had stopped.

It was a horrible day. And the police held him without officially charging him Thursday and Friday. He was arraigned on the following Monday. He called me Sunday begging me to bond him out – the toilets were backed up in the cells and his floor was covered with feces. His two bunk mates each had staph infections. One was OCD and every 30 minutes filled up the sink with water, washed his hands, stood by the cell door, then crawled bank into his bunk. Only to begin again when another 30 minutes had elapsed.

So, Monday, after the arraignment, I bonded him out. His next court date is April 1. Irony pops out its ugly head once again. April Fools Day. Great.

But here is why I have a big problem with the whole situation. Let me first state that he broke the law and so I believe he owes society. I have no problem with the fact he was arrested.

My problems stem from a couple of different areas … he had ¼ pound of weed. He wasn’t cooking and selling meth, or pushing coke. The “gun” he was charged with possessing was an empty hunting rifle – there was no ammo at my house. They spent days and days staking out my house, talking to my neighbors, school officials (he is out of school but some of his customers are students), watching … how many man hours did they expend to bust him?

They treated me like I was a criminal. Berated me. When my ex-husband arrived on the scene they were suddenly cordial. To make it worse I work with cops all the time – my job is also a city job. I personally knew the detective who spoke so cruelly to me. I was already mortified that my son had broken the law, I didn’t need threats from the officers to make me feel worse. Or the threat to take my house.

Next on my list … as I was driving home the other night a commercial was aired on the radio for a local head shop. It was obvious the shop was selling products to be used for smoking week. Innuendo about “riding high” and such statements made it clear they were selling products that are considered illegal when possessed by kids. Paraphernalia. Why is it legal to sell but illegal to own?

Then my nephew tells me about a product he bought a few months ago at the local head shop. It’s labeled that it should be used only as incense. My nephew and his friend knew otherwise. Sure enough, the paperwork inside the package explained how to “properly” use the product. It was a hallucinogenic that scared the crap out my nephew and his friend. They flushed the rest of it down the toiled when they finally came down from their "trip."

How is that legal? Why is it allowed?

Maybe we’re not winning the war on drugs because we haven’t yet figured out who the bad guys are …

Again, I state emphatically that I believe my son deserves punishment for breaking the law. I’m actually a little bit relieved he was caught for it has forced him to stop smoking the stuff. Lord knows I tried for the past couple of years to get him to stop and had no luck.

Just last night, on his 19th birthday, he went fishing at his dad’s place with his friends. They had a wonderful time. All sober. He was amazed at how much fun they could have that didn't involve sitting in a circle in a dark room sharing a bowl. And no laws were broken.

So, mixed emotions on my part about the whole thing. I miss having my son at home with me. I can’t talk to my former friends -- the local police, and I’m out $1,000 for bonding out my son. Good bye tax return. Maybe legalizing the damn stuff is the answer. I don't smoke it and I wish my son never had. But, damn, it's just weed.

gordy
Windfall Prophet

Re: The Law and Weed

Post by gordy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:56 pm

that really sucks............. :darn:
-----------------------------

My Jesus hung out with thieves and sluts and liars, which Jesus do you worship?

---Todd Agnew

Perfection is my enemy
Procrastination is his cohort
Persistence is my sword

---Gordy

Phoenix J. Star
Rock Star Jenni

Post by Phoenix J. Star » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:00 am

Yes, it does suck. What sucks even worse is that the government makes too much money off of it illegally. If they legalized it and taxed it they would loose billions. How do you think smaller, poorer countries gain protection from us? Not by trading corn. Guns and drugs. If you think our government isin't corrupt...naive you are. Those huge columbian and mexican drug lords that import and export illegal substances in and out of our country...yeah our officials could have probably arrested and detained them by now...the barter system...they do their business, we look the other way. Yes I know I sound like a conspiracy therorist but when you think about it, it makes sense :shrug: Makes sense to me anyway.
Then people like young men trying to earn a dollar, which yes its illegal and I'm against selling pot simply because its illegal an instances like this can happen, but Mickey is no big time dealer. Whoever dislikes Mickey gave the illusion that he is and the cops and street crimes unit of our lovely HSPD wasted their time in my opinion. They were probably pissed that they didn't find more than they did. Glad that he has learned a lesson, I pray that he never does it again. Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. :shrug:
"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."
Oscar Wilde

Leysa
Mistress of the South

Post by Leysa » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:14 am

Oh, and I left off the portion of the story dealing with the local paper. I used to be a reporter and so I was a little saddened by the inaccuracies in the news report dealing with my son's arrest.

He was arrested with a "large quantity" ... he, according the report, had an alias of "Little Hood Rich." Not true. That's his friend's nickname. His friend is from Houston where his older brother was known as Hood Rich. He therefore became Little Hood Rich. My son is actually known as Bones. It's a name he got in middle school because he's so tall and lanky. He uses that penname when he writes poetry.

But the story sounded so much worse when he had a "gangster-related" alias. Not just a nickname that relates to his being skinny.

Phoenix J. Star
Rock Star Jenni

Post by Phoenix J. Star » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:39 pm

Yeah it sounded way worse in the paper than it actually is. I mean what he did was wrong and illegal but when you know Mickey, you know he's not the hard-knock gangsta that he is portrayed as. I know he was trying to take care of his own shit, but hopefully he's learned now that when he gets in a jam he needs to come to his family first before resorting to illegal activity. He's a wonderful young man(hee hee hee) who breifly walked down the wrong path. :shrug:
"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."
Oscar Wilde

Phoenix J. Star
Rock Star Jenni

Post by Phoenix J. Star » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:39 pm

Didn't mean to double post!
Last edited by Phoenix J. Star on Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar Wilde

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:23 am

Leysa,
I'm sorry to hear about your sons problems. I think you're reacting correctly. Get a good attorney. I live in a small town, and it's amazing how stories (particularly drug stories) are reported in the local paper. A quarter lb is 4 ounces. Not a large quantity, and a joint is less intoxicating than drinking a couple beers. It just doesn't make any sense. Best wishes and good luck.
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan
Your brain is like an umbrella. It only works when it's open- Someone Smart

Poet of the Month
March 2011

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011

Post by LadySaturn » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:57 pm

And this is why I hate the government. They go and do stupid shit like this. I'm sorry but there are people being murdered, raped and meth labs up the arse. Not to mention people building bombs in their basement and what have you. And yet our government is going to bust someone for a little weed. Give me a freaking break. :roll: And by the way, if I were you I would have kicked that detective who threaten to take your house right in the freaking nuts. That would have shut him the hell up. Granted, you probably would have made a trip downtown with your son but it would have been worth it. Heh heh heh. I feel for ya, Leysa. I really do. And it amazes me how our government can find someone who sells a little weed with no problem but they have a hell of a time finding a f***ing terrorist. It's messed up if you ask me. :soapbox:

Leysa
Mistress of the South

Post by Leysa » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:57 am

It was the easy bust. That's my opinion. It looks good to the public. They are doing their jobs ... The meth lab is more dangerous to bust, and it costs the city butt loads of money due to the health hazards of taking down a meth lab. I saw the dollar figures once on what it cost to take out a meth lab -- some outrageous number.

This was a nice suburban house with an upstairs bedroom inhabited by my son ... the house was clean, well-cared for. Not dangerous. It was an easy, easy bust.

Duchess
The Irish Rose

Post by Duchess » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:34 pm

its hard for me to reply to this...I'm not sure what to say...i try to make everyone feel better with a funny one liner or something...but i dont think that now is the right time to say something like that...however i will say Leysa, you and your son are my thoughts and prayers...

Always
D
"Our minds create our realities based on our perceptions and how we view our world..." "In crazy mans world, everyone else is insane and he is the only sane one"
Both said by My Georgia Muse

I miss my baby...R.I.P Chyna
~*}i{*Duchess*}i{*~

I wish to live in a world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned.

Return to “Prose, Stories, Roleplays, Story Poems and Epics”