Shopping Mall Observations

A place to enjoy the interactive sport of Roleplay exercises, post your prose, short stories, story poems, prose poems and epics. This forum does not autoprune

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway, moonflower

JGarrison
Babbling Brook Poet

Shopping Mall Observations

Post by JGarrison » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:20 pm

No stars tonight as I take my first steps down the hill towards the fluorescent lights of the mall. As I take a seat in my usual spot, off in the corner, yet still within the realm of those who pass me by, I hear a call. “Hey dude! You have a cigarette?” a guy about my age asks me, so without a second thought I offer up one of my smokes from my slowly dwindling pack, and when his passenger asks for one also, I oblige. As I return to my seat with five new dimes jingling gently in my pocket an old Buddhist quote that I read long ago echoes in my head; “practice charity without thinking of doing so.” And a smile crosses my face. The clouds are flying low tonight, letting their aqueous burden fall on the now parched landscape. Yet nothing really changes. I sit and watch the same late evening bustle of people shuffling into and out of the bookstore at my back, mumbling what sound like words, but rarely forming any real syllables blonde haired beauty, that I’ll probably never know, in a green Toyota camrey slowly drives by, giving only a slight glance in my direction. The sort of glance that imparts no recognition of familiarity at all, but still its an acknowledgement of another life form. I can’t tell you what thoughts ran through her head as she slowly rounded the corner and disappeared from my realm of existence, but I like to believe there was some positivity in it, whether or not I was involved in the actual thought. Up on the main road the traffic is thin now, or at least compared to the lunch and dinner hour rushes that I witness day in and day out. People come and go with no real idea what surrounds them. They rush through their lives never stopping to feel this. This cool spring rain pushed by the gentle breeze. I know I should feel cold, but my sweater-clad form holds its own against the elements, giving into them, almost becoming a part of them. Then I pull my sweater tighter around my body, but zipping it up seems to be an exercise in futility that I want to part in at this particular juncture. As I lean back against the rough back of the cold steel chair I relax even more as the wind tousles my hair like the fingers of some long lost, invisible lover. Oh how I long to become this moment, to solidify it in time, if only in words. As my dirty white chariot arrives, pulling close to the curb to welcome me into its protected warmth, I give the world a final look around and a smile goodnight. For as I depart the radio plays me a melody long forgotten, but imbedded somewhere in my being, and I find peace.
“What’s in store for me in the direction I don’t take?”

-Jack Kerouac-

Phoenix J. Star
Rock Star Jenni

Re: Shopping Mall Observations

Post by Phoenix J. Star » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:50 pm

Love your thoughts and the way you express them :hearts:
"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."
Oscar Wilde

JGarrison
Babbling Brook Poet

Post by JGarrison » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:57 pm

well thank you phoenix...glad you enjoyed it :hello:

-Jack Kerouac-

Black Star Shine
Demonic Grinning Poet
Tag line: You Haunt My Soul

Post by Black Star Shine » Wed May 14, 2008 3:38 pm

its always a relife to jsut sit down and look at the world and ask yourself questions that shouldnt be answered

JGarrison
Babbling Brook Poet

Post by JGarrison » Tue May 20, 2008 11:53 am

there is no question that shouldn't be answered :cool: all the answers are in your heart... you just have to look long enough...

-Jack Kerouac-

Return to “Prose, Stories, Roleplays, Story Poems and Epics”