The Morality of Questioning Morality

A place to enjoy the interactive sport of Roleplay exercises, post your prose, short stories, story poems, prose poems and epics. This forum does not autoprune

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway, moonflower

Blaze
Princess of the Stars

The Morality of Questioning Morality

Post by Blaze » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:55 pm

I sat patiently in my desk watching the blue-rimmed clock. I wondered why time seemed to pass by more slowly when you watched it. Class had just begun about five minutes ago and Ms. Terrill was already pacing around the room, avoiding students’ carelessly placed book-bags and knapsacks in the aisles between the rows of desks. Her cross necklace swung dangerously as she stumbled over a book. I smiled as I thought how ironic it would be if her cross necklace was the death of her. I stopped glancing at the clock and my mind drifted back to the young enthusiastic voice of Ms. Terrill saying, “The bombing of Hiroshima is something that Americans’ cannot be proud of!” I thought about the excerpt from a first hand account of the bombing we were required to read the night before. I never realized until reading it how much pain could be in words alone.
“But why can’t we be proud? It was an act of retaliation. What about Pearl Harbor?” A voice said from behind me. I turned to see Matt with his hand still raised in the air even though he had acknowledged himself. I stared in disbelief. How could someone be so inhumane to say that? “I mean they killed our people. Why shouldn’t we kill theirs?” Ms. Terrill’s cross was still swinging as she straightened herself.
“You wouldn’t want to be killed would you?” She hoped her way of restating the Golden Rule would work.
“I’m not sure. It would be too late afterwards to care—I’m sure the people who died didn’t care.” He laughed after his smart comment. I felt my eyes narrow and my mouth open. I wanted to say something, but wanting never gets anyone anywhere.
“Get a grip!” Amy in front of me turned sharply in her seat as she lost her temper temporarily and gave Matt a death stare. He returned it with one I would expect a twelve-year-old girl to give a peer when trying to start a fight, one of those looks that involved the head doing a quick snake-like motion. Amy rolled her eyes and huffed as she turned back towards Ms. Terrill, her ponytail flicking at me in the process. Her dark brown, almost black hair smelt of a sophisticated shampoo.
Another teacher walked in to Ms. Terrill’s advantage and she was able to discontinue the subject of Hiroshima. I began to watch the clock again, four minutes had passed.

The bell rang signaling the end of class. In my haste, I knocked over my bag sending papers and books all over the floor. My music folder for band slipped out and a piece of music I was practicing to play at church the following Sunday flew across the floor towards Matt’s desk. Matt picked up the sheet music as I collected the rest of my books and my flute.
“Shout to the Lord, eh? So you’re a Christian then,” I found this to be a strange question and didn’t require an answer, wasn’t everyone a Christian at this small school? I nodded and held out my hand for the music. He didn’t take notice my hand and began reading. “My Jesus… My Savior… Lord there is none like you… Well I have to agree with these lyrics. There is none like Him because there is no such thing as Him,” Matt’s eyes produced a shocked look as I tore the sheet from him. I was enraged, yet all I could do was stare at him. The large tan t-shirt and skinny denim pants did nothing for his scrawny body except make him look even more homely. His eyes were narrow and his nose suggested some African heredity a few generations back. His high Indian-like cheeks reminded me of my grandfather’s and a thin strip of pink outlined his mouth suggesting lips. Society would think of him as being perfectly ugly. At that moment, I wasn’t sure what to think of him. He walked out startled by my reaction and I was unable to say anything to his back. There is none like Him because there is no such thing as Him…an Atheist sat behind me in English class.

“I can’t believe what he said about Hiroshima…” My mind had stayed in English all day, replaying the scene of Matt’s utterly rude remark. Logan had called me that afternoon to see if anything was wrong—I had been quiet during geometry. My first excuse was that I had been quiet all day, which was the truth, but she knew me too well. She listened in silence as I told her what happened in English.
“I can,” I took my phone off my shoulder, thinking that it slipped a little when she replied. I made sure my hand was supporting it well before talking again.
“I’m sorry, I missed what you said… I think the phone slipped.”
“I can believe that he said it,” What? This was one of the most Christianly girls that I knew and one of the most sensible. “You said that he was an Atheist, right?”
“Yeah… but his remark was so… inhumane! He took into no consideration about the victims’ families and friends that were not killed,” I argued back.
“I realize that… but he’s an Atheist. He doesn’t have the same morals as we do. He isn’t required to have any morals according to his standing on faith,” I didn’t say anything. She knew that she didn’t need my permission to continue. “Imagine you never knew your parents, or anyone really. You raised yourself in the mountains in the middle of nowhere. What would your morals be? You don’t have access to media, or even what other people think. If another human strayed into your path, would you feel inclined to kill him for food or get to know him? If at the time you were hungry and out hunting, more than likely I’m sure you would like to see how this new animal tasted,” I considered this.
“But he does have access to media and to other people’s thoughts. Shouldn’t he know what’s right and what’s wrong?”
“What’s right and what’s wrong is up to the individual themselves. You, I’m sure, feel that you’re unarguably right on this subject. Put yourself in his shoes and realize that you are both wearing the same ones. He feels the exact same way. He has no book to live by but his own, so unless he followed the same book as you, in your case being the Bible, you can’t question his morals. We are supposed to live by the Golden Rule. He has chosen a path that he can live by anything he would like to in his mind. We know what is right… but so does he in his mind,” I considered this. I had grown up with the Bible as my rulebook. My father was the assistant pastor at the church I attended. This influenced me and the way I thought, I didn’t know what influenced him.
“Thanks Logan. I’ll see you tomorrow,” I waited for her to say goodbye and listened for the click of the phone. I hung up and picked up the phone again. I dialed a number that I had only dialed once before to see about a group project, the only one where the teacher chose our partner. The phone rang once… twice.
“Hello?”
“Hey… Matt?”
“This is he… who’s this?”
“This is Rachel. I was thinking about English today… and first I wanted to apologize for snatching away the music from your hand, your remark had startled me… and second I just wanted to ask you a few questions…if you don’t mind.”
"Being smart is a good thing... it's the dumbasses that make you think twice about it."
-John Swick

thief of dreams
surrounded by shadows

Post by thief of dreams » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:28 am

seems a bit one sided.. i find it curious that Christians have no problems telling others of Christ but get angry when told there is no Christ... its belief. personal belief... the fact that someone speaks against what you believe should not matter to you enough to get angry over it... it brings to mind an episode of Jackass where one of those guys dresses in a devils costume and walks around with a sign that reads, "the devil is coming." and some guy hits him in the face and breaks the sign...
to you Christ is more than a belief. i understand that... but dont hate or get angry with someone who doesnt understand it or doesnt want to understand it... he too is intitled to his own beliefs... i know i have completely gone off topic regarding your project but just please.. dont be an angry Christian.. there are way too many of them already... hold your beliefs close to your heart.. no one can change them, they are yours...
"Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Blaze
Princess of the Stars

Post by Blaze » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:17 am

**Note: It's a story :wink: My friend Logan actually didn't tell me that. I had thought of it myself. Perhaps I should change my name to make it more clear?
"Being smart is a good thing... it's the dumbasses that make you think twice about it."
-John Swick

thief of dreams
surrounded by shadows

Post by thief of dreams » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:55 pm

:cool:
"Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Tom Watson
Forever Silent Friend

Post by Tom Watson » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:41 pm

:book: Wonderful writing Blaze. :bow:
Totally captivated me in its progress and structure. It gave a sense to realism that is great to see in any short prose.
The lesson you teach is very wise too. In Terry's comment I saw an agreement with what you were essentially saying...and I can now only imagine the questions being asked of "Matt", and, as a fellow Christian holding not a "belief" but faith in the love and gift of Christ Jesus, I am certain they would be asked with love and concern in "her" heart.
"Whispers of Love" a book of poetry expressing love of the heart and spirit is released worldwide on August 11, 2009. Visit my home page at
Books From Grace for more information or Amazon.com

Return to “Prose, Stories, Roleplays, Story Poems and Epics”