SCAM NEWS - Beware of AEG Publishing & Sisterfirms!

Post about new poetry sites, contests, books, miscellaneous resources, etc here.

Moderators: thief of dreams, heinzs

Forum rules
This forum is for Poetry related news, resources, contests and announcements.

This is the only forum where those types of posts are acceptable. If they are posted elswhere they will be deleted and your account may also be deleted. You need to be an active registered member of the Poetry Pages in order to post here.

Members of this site tend to frown upon people registering just to "advertise" in this forum and not participating in other forums. It is suggested that you introduce yourself, post some of your work and comment on others first.

Resources available here are posted by Poetry Pages members and are not warranted for accuracy or applicability by Poetry Pages administrators.

Articles not posted to in 180 days will be automatically deleted by the system
BeeJay
Babbling Brook Poet
Tag line: A Future in Words

SCAM NEWS - Beware of AEG Publishing & Sisterfirms!

Post by BeeJay » Mon May 24, 2010 5:53 am

I want to share a narrow escape I had with Writers’ Literary Agency (formerly The Literary Agency Group) that promised to promote my non fiction book with publishers. They had a series of mails ready to flood an anxious author's mailbox . I am talking about www.StrategicBookMarketing.com // www.BookBlogWorld.com //Eloquent Books //

The alerts available in http://www.sfwa.org/for-authors/writer-beware/ helped to save me well in time.

The most obnoxious of them all is Writers’ Literary Agency (formerly The Literary Agency Group) / Global Book Agency / Strategic Book Group / Strategic Book Club / Strategic Book Marketing / Strategic Book Publishing / Eloquent Books / AEG Publishing Group and they are serial offenders.

The Attorney General Office Florida has filed a complaint & is investigating

The Complaint can be read in http://myfloridalegal.com/webfiles.nsf/ ... plaint.pdf

I do suggest that writers Check Out : http://www.sfwa.org/for-authors/writer- ... /#Literary which has a lot of information on these & other scams.

Writers’ Literary Agency (formerly The Literary Agency Group) / Global Book Agency / Strategic Book Group / Strategic Book Club / Strategic Book Marketing / Strategic Book Publishing / Eloquent Books / AEG Publishing Group put out attractive photo's of Frankfurt Trade Fair and talkED about the Chinese Publishers wanting to publish children's books and invite you to these Book Fairs. Their mails WERE all so logical and plausible. Its easy to slip into their folds. I am truly amazed at my loss of balance however momentary. But once I informed them about my findings on the Internet and my intention to forward all mails received by me to the Attorney General's Office in Florida , I got a response that they will drop processing my manuscript! And cheekily advised that their mailing system may still send me a few more mails before it all stops as their inter departmental process takes time and I need to bear with it !

BeeJay

PS: Heinz if this is not appropriate please do delete the same . Its just that I felt deeply about the last few weeks of wasteful correspondence accompanied by false hopes. If this post can prevent a few heart aches for Poets & Writer's the purpose would be served.
If the Universe was a little smaller , I may just be able to reach out to you. Copyright © 2009 Baru Gobira

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Re: SCAM NEWS - Beware of AEG Publishing & Sisterfirms!

Post by heinzs » Mon May 24, 2010 9:38 pm

We are always grateful for posts that might prevent one of our writers from falling into scam publishing.

:thumbsup:
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

BeeJay
Babbling Brook Poet
Tag line: A Future in Words

Post by BeeJay » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:10 pm

Thank you for your understanding.:bow: BeeJay
If the Universe was a little smaller , I may just be able to reach out to you. Copyright © 2009 Baru Gobira

SamIAm
Seafoam Poet

Post by SamIAm » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:12 am

It's pretty simple: If they ask for money up front (unless you are agreeing to self publish) it's a scam. If they offer their own "contributors" discounts to buy copies of their own work, it's a scam. I once wrote Jeffery Deaver. He told me something I will always take to heart: "You should never have to pay publishing houses, agents or editors for your work. They should be paying you." My work is worth something. It is valuable. I don't recall the last time a car-dealer paid me money to take the car off the lot. These people play on a writer's ego and desire to be published.

Keep it safe. Use a Writer's Market from the library. Start correspondences with actual authors (they do answer, even if they've hired someone to do it for them. Mr. Deaver wrote me directly). They are usually more than happy to help out a new writer. They will give you websites called "black lists" of agents to avoid. If you want to self publish, that is your choice, but to avoid scams, be more concerned about being a good writer and less about being a published author. These people prey on ego and desperation. It's your art, your masterpiece - and they should be honored to pay you for it. :2cents: :soapbox:
My Youtube Channel - Go ahead, call me crazy.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Yapshire

Return to “News, Resources & Announcements”