WARNING about POETRY.COM and its Affiliates

Post about new poetry sites, contests, books, miscellaneous resources, etc here.

Moderators: thief of dreams, heinzs

Forum rules
This forum is for Poetry related news, resources, contests and announcements.

This is the only forum where those types of posts are acceptable. If they are posted elswhere they will be deleted and your account may also be deleted. You need to be an active registered member of the Poetry Pages in order to post here.

Members of this site tend to frown upon people registering just to "advertise" in this forum and not participating in other forums. It is suggested that you introduce yourself, post some of your work and comment on others first.

Resources available here are posted by Poetry Pages members and are not warranted for accuracy or applicability by Poetry Pages administrators.

Articles not posted to in 180 days will be automatically deleted by the system
SamIAm
Seafoam Poet

Post by SamIAm » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:58 pm

I just got the reply to my poem in the mail on Saturday. They said I was in the semi-finals because of my "artistic vision." They said they "carefully read and discussed" my poem. Boy, did they lay it on thick! They called it an "excellent poem!" And for a "nominal" fee, I can have it on its own page! I was so excited and proud . . . to make asses of them!

Woo-hoo! :thewave:
My Youtube Channel - Go ahead, call me crazy.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Yapshire

coolpoet
Clearwater Poet

Post by coolpoet » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:59 am

Even i got the letter stating that i was a semifinalist.My joy really knew no bounds and i desperately wanted to attend the convention and buy the copy "ETERNAL PORTRAITS" or so they call the "PAPERBACK EDITION"..lol!thank heavens!i should really thank my dad for denying me permission to attend the convention.I was like,doing everything possible to make him understand that it was a significant phase of my life (???!!!)but he wouldn't budge.I already had a small doubt.It's been confirmed now.Damn the useless ppl who are behind this!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more honourable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing. - George Bernard Shaw

heartstrong
Clearwater Poet

Post by heartstrong » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:25 am

I recently entered a poem. I can't wait for the letter to come so I can burn it in the fireplace. I could also feed it to the neighbor's dog. . .. .
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

~Albert Einstein

LostNight
Clearwater Poet
Location: Wandering through the evergreens in Washington, State

Post by LostNight » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:54 pm

Poetry.com I heard, they published the ingredients to a Campbell's soup can that someone submitted and it and then went on to semifinals.

That pretty much tells ya, they don't even bother to read them. They are just collecting huge fees from excited authors want to be noticed at an emotional charge time in their life.

I think they know that, so I would think that may put them in the predatory class of money suckers...

graveyard daisy

Post by graveyard daisy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:55 pm

Been there, done that. In fact my supervisor at work just the other day was telling me I could and should get published on Poetry.com.. I had to break it to her that it was a scam. I found out a few years ago, then tested it again anyway- you know, just to check. I submitted "Shit" as a poem.. yeah I got that nice letter for the semi-finals... the Campbell's Soup can thing cracked me up...

graveyard daisy

crocbait
Clearwater Poet

Post by crocbait » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:42 pm

yeah,. sent a poem...didn't buy a book. but you guys were who told me it was a scam....4 years ago... :mrgreen:
Linda Lee

almost human.

Return to “News, Resources & Announcements”