Holiday Decoration Safety

Poetry Pages members' lounge. Any topic welcome within propriety guidelines.

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Holiday Decoration Safety

Post by MJPease » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:22 am

Hello All, Just a quick note on Holiday Decorations. This year while decorating our tree I noticed that our tree topper, a 40 year old Angel had scorch marks on her silk gown. Upon closer examination the entire plastic shell under her dress was scorched from the heat of the incandescent bulbs. This appeared to me as a potential fire hazard and I thanked my lucky stars that we didn't have one last year. I removed the incandescent bulbs and replaced them with a set of Phillips LED Aqua Battery operated bulbs 7.00 at Target. This was an easy fix that saved a cherished Christmas decoration and possibly our lives. Happy Holidays Take Care
Take me back, so far back, adjust this fate. Afeared lately of pen, in abscence of light. The fear I might stumble upon a plagiarized soul. Wipe this dark slate clean, regain my thought. Add the words that rekindle my depth of soul.

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

preston
Forever Silent Friend

Re: Holiday Decoration Safety

Post by preston » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:35 am

LED's in the kitchen ... LED's on the tree.

Where else you using LED's.

I stocked up on incandescents before the ban.
I like a 100 watt for just about everything.

:computer:

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:15 pm

I changed every bulb in the house a few months ago. It was a pretty expensive proposition considering that all the circuits with dimmers needed to be changed to LED capable dimmers. Some of the recessed fixtures were changed to the airtight LED housings. It was all done for the sake of saving energy. At times I miss having a good old 100 watt incandescent bulb to read by. My shop is still HO fluorescent and incandescent but I plan on some sort of upgrades out there soon. I have a pretty good inventory of incandescent bulbs odds and ends left over from Pease Electric. I keep forgetting to tell friends and family to start using them up. To bad you don't live closer. Take Care
Take me back, so far back, adjust this fate. Afeared lately of pen, in abscence of light. The fear I might stumble upon a plagiarized soul. Wipe this dark slate clean, regain my thought. Add the words that rekindle my depth of soul.

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:32 pm

Still using incandescent bulbs in some areas but seldom worry about the fire hazard as the people I have running the bicycle generators seldom over heat the wires and they actually pay me a health club membership fee for the privilege of powering my home.

One of the artistic effects of bicycle generated Christmas lights is they tend to strobe our outdoor lights when they periodically slow down to gasp for air. I'm thinking of adding some old Burl Ives and Brenda Lee Christmas sound tracks to help the work out routines and time the lighting effects.

:thewave:

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:52 am

It's march 30th and time to put the outdoor Christmas decorations away. You might be wondering why so late in the season. WE COULDN'T EVEN SEE OR FIND THEM UNTIL THE FREAK'N SNOW MELT! We have one of those trains made out of wire with lights and LED smoke stack it just reemerged from what was a 6ft. snow drift :mrgreen: Call me lazy but I was not going to dig the decorations out of the snow or walk through all of that snow in order to get the lights off of the Pine trees. I suppose I could just leave them up until next year :smack:

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011

Post by LadySaturn » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:22 pm

LOL!

Return to “Open Discussions and Members' Messages”