What can we do to improve PoetryPages attendance?

Poetry Pages members' lounge. Any topic welcome within propriety guidelines.

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

What can we do to improve PoetryPages attendance?

Post by heinzs » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:08 am

Ok, it's lonely in here... what can we do to increase attendance and get back to something like our "golden age"? People come, people go, but mostly go... It is quite clear that we are NOT providing what people want/need, and if at all possible I'd like to "fix" that problem. Give me your comments as a reply.

Thanks!

Pops
:cry:
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

gordy
Windfall Prophet

Re: What can we do to improve PoetryPages attendance?

Post by gordy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:17 pm

i would say you need some way to direct people FROM facebook to here. it seems obvious to me that everyone who isnt on here anymore as often as before is probably on facebook. (not all but most) .
-----------------------------

My Jesus hung out with thieves and sluts and liars, which Jesus do you worship?

---Todd Agnew

Perfection is my enemy
Procrastination is his cohort
Persistence is my sword

---Gordy

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:51 am

Hi Heinz,
Wish I had the answer buddy. We've gone from the "Golden Age" to the "Dark Age" of Poetry Pages. I'm not sure that having more links or whatever from Facebook
is the solution. People want immediacy in this digital age of entertainment. Instant gratification, instant recognition, instant (although temporary) satisfaction.
Poetry doesn't fit that mode IMHO. 10 years ago,...sites like Poetry Pages opened up an entirely new forum for people like us who perhaps never had a venue for
sharing their work anywhere else. It was invigorating to find people of like mind who would comment on others work, and have their own commented on. Now, 10 years later,.....there are so many options for communication that sites like PP have become antiquated (like me LOL) . People who used to spend an hour or more a day dedicated to PP, are spreading their time out over numerous sites, clicking on "likes" etc instead of actually commenting on anything substantial. Too much work I guess. Anyway,.....I'll continue to stop in from time to time. It's been my internet home away from home for a long time now. I've grown quite fond of you
and many others that I've had the opportunity to get to know over the years. Thank you for that. All the best
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan
Your brain is like an umbrella. It only works when it's open- Someone Smart

Poet of the Month
March 2011

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011

Post by LadySaturn » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:25 am

Don't worry about it, Pops. Places like facebook are nothing more than a flash in the pan. Pretty soon folks will get bored with it like they did Myspace. By the way, let me point out that no one goes on Myspace anymore. And they will return. Anywho, the Pages will make a comeback eventually. Folks will want simplicity once again and when that happens the Pages will boom like never before. Hell, poetry and story telling will never die so I'm pretty sure it's a safe bet that neither will the pages. :thewave:

Nefertari
Queen of the Nile

Post by Nefertari » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:15 pm

Acutally I think Lady Saturn has a good point and hopeful attitude. And I hope she is right. Love this place always have always will. :thumbsup:
The Queen of ancient Egypt, fair and wise.

IT'S DUSTY IN HERE, CLEAN MY PYRAMID!

The Nile is rising...now I've got MUD!!

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:47 am

Acutally I think Lady Saturn has a good point and hopeful attitude
yeah,...I guess I can be too much of a realist at times. :twisted:
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan
Your brain is like an umbrella. It only works when it's open- Someone Smart

Poet of the Month
March 2011

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:18 pm

Hold the press's! This just In...... Why don't we just pay everyone for their attendance with PP dollars that can be redeemed at the bar on Saturday nights. :hello: I'm just so busy with the outdoor activities at this time of year, working on the railroad, pond, flowers and vegetables. I put in 4-5 hrs. on that stuff each day and I'm shot in the ass, drained mentally and physically. I'll get caught up soon :shrug: (wishful thinking)
Take me back, so far back, adjust this fate. Afeared lately of pen, in abscence of light. The fear I might stumble upon a plagiarized soul. Wipe this dark slate clean, regain my thought. Add the words that rekindle my depth of soul.

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:50 am

OK! OK! So no one liked my idea of PP dollars for the bar It is Saturday :shrug:
Take me back, so far back, adjust this fate. Afeared lately of pen, in abscence of light. The fear I might stumble upon a plagiarized soul. Wipe this dark slate clean, regain my thought. Add the words that rekindle my depth of soul.

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Post by heinzs » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:04 pm

Something rings odd about "PP dollars"... isn't that something you pay a kid while they're toilet training? Sounds like a scam, sorta like bitcoin.
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

nekot
Poetry Piper

Post by nekot » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:02 pm

:hello:

I dropped in again!

I don't know why I don't drop in as much or contribute like I once did.
I still love the folks at PP family.

Maybe my lack of contribution is due to...
Laziness. Fatigue.
Facebook...grr.
Seldom write poetry currently.
I blog.

PP Dollars... :mrgreen:
~eloquently scattered~
nekot's tokens

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:55 am

A Scam.....! PP Dollars are as legit as American or Canadian currency or any $ on the planet :shrug: Why I might have to sue you for slander young Man if you ever again imply other wise. PP Dollars for potty training :mrgreen: not a bad idea :hello: We're getting old enough where that might be a better option than PP Dollars for Beer. PP Dollars for Depends :hello: Take Care

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

nekot
Poetry Piper

Post by nekot » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:25 am

*chuckle* :mrgreen:
~eloquently scattered~
nekot's tokens

frozentears
Seafoam Poet

Post by frozentears » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:38 pm

I've had a difficult time with my writing. Honestly I think Facebook is my main distraction. I get frustrated with how I allow it to distract my mind from my thoughts...anyways, I avoided Facebook (the internet) for a few days, only signing in briefly. Tonight, I could hear my soul crying for my pp familia. So I stopped in, read a few posts, commented on some. Once again, I feel at home. A place where complete thoughts and words speak, rather than an over shared meme and 30 statuses complaining about daily nuisances and/or drama. It's good to be home! :hugs:
If any of our familia has any knowledge on creating apps, possibly a pp app for smartphones could reel in some attendance. As for myself, the only internet I have is on my phone, and trying to read on my browser has proven difficult. :2cents:
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? -Einstein

LJAmara
Clearwater Poet
Tag line: Muddling through

Post by LJAmara » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:12 pm

I still pop in every now and then to read, but with two teenage girls in the house, a cat, a dog, my on again-off again love life, and everything that goes along with all of that I just haven't found much time for writing anything. Maybe next year ... :darn:

redrobin
Clearwater Poet

Post by redrobin » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:49 am

I went through writers block or something. I didn't drop by as much as I should have and really regret it. I've always loved Poetrypages. I have missed everyone on here and am glad I stopped by.
~*redrobin*~

my poetry archive
Click here

What lies behind us, and
what lies before us are tiny
matters, compared to what
lies within us.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson-

Return to “Open Discussions and Members' Messages”