WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE SUN...

Poetry Pages members' lounge. Any topic welcome within propriety guidelines.

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE SUN...

Post by LadySaturn » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:41 pm

The sun is acting up or down or up or... Hell, something is going on.. Could it be that it's starting to die. Or could there be a possibility that it's just taking a breather and building up for some mass explosion. Voice your thoughts, peeps. :hello:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 0409194498

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Re: WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE SUN...

Post by Eternum 1 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:04 pm

The sun does a magnetic flip every 10 years or so and normally that's not a big problem. On a more serious note is the theory that the Earths magnetic field shuts down every 20,000 years or so and is the main engine that causes the polarity at the Earth's poles to reverse. A period of 30 years follows with a weak magnetic field. This transition would mean skyrocketing gamma rays near the equator and extending as far as 40 to 50 degrees north and south of that point. Mutation, death and crop failure would be the result (some GMO crops might survive). The first to be affected (the canary in the coal mine so to speak) would be amphibians like frogs (yes this is occurring right now).

Interesting theory in that it ties in with the disappearance of numerous tropical civilisations 20,000 years ago. Not much we can do about it unless we want to move underground for the next 30 years or to lesser effect; move closer to the poles (that's if some predicted nasty earth quakes don't follow you).
Last edited by Eternum 1 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:25 pm

It may be of some comfort that a number of other 'suns' probably support life right now and will continue long after this little corner of a insignificant galaxy goes cold and dark.

40 billion possible earth like planets and counting. That’s one in every five stars, just in our little galaxy alone – with that number possibly much higher. And consider the billions of other galaxies while you are at it. Holy WTF my god smacked fellow bi-peds ; do we need more info to feel a little less arrogant?

http://kepler.nasa.gov/

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011

Post by LadySaturn » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:31 pm

I honestly think if a nuclear bomb dropped the only things that would survive are GMO crops and cockroaches. :no:

I'm wondering though we could also possibly face a small ice age as some have suggested... I mean I pass this along because I thought it was interesting. Knowing that they are other billion galaxies... Well, kind of knew that but yea that's still shocking to say the least.

Return to “Open Discussions and Members' Messages”