Obamacare

Poetry Pages members' lounge. Any topic welcome within propriety guidelines.

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Obamacare

Post by Eternum 1 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:08 pm

On another thread there were some misconceptions about health care in the US and Canada and comparative costs. I hope to address some of those misconceptions:

Not single payer: Canadian critics tend to rail against “two-tiered” medicine, but in fact, the U.S. has a multi-tiered system. And despite the hype on both sides of the Congressional aisles, Obamacare keeps the same complex structure in place, while adding another layer through the introduction of health care “exchanges” for uninsured Americans. But the majority of Americans will continue to access care through a variety of health insurance plans made available or subsidized by their employer; nearly 50 million elderly and disabled through the federal Medicare program; another 60 million lowest-income through state-federal Medicaid arrangements.

Not universal coverage: Health care in Canada is based on a simple proposition: every legal resident is covered through a publicly-financed provincial or territorial plan. The individual mandate, derived from a Republican precedent in Massachusetts, stands in stark contrast to Canada’s universality principle. Even though Obamacare broadens coverage, the individual mandate relies on a fundamental insurance principle – care depends on type of coverage – and compels Americans to purchase insurance to access care. Americans now have more affordable insurance options and subsidies to cover their costs, and the lowest-income may be eligible for public coverage through the expansion of Medicaid. Still, despite the crush of online traffic as enrolment began Tuesday, only half of the estimated 40-plus million uninsured will be affected by Obamacare.

Not “national” health insurance: One of the hallmarks of health care in Canada is that, although each province and territory administers a health plan, everyone can expect to be covered for a comprehensive range of services, no matter where they live. And the federal government is expected to chip in to provincial coffers to make this happen. There’s plenty of intergovernmental friction as a result, but nothing like the fractured federalism of the United States. The implementation of Obamacare will further exacerbate regional and state differences, mainly as a result of the Supreme Court decision to curtail the federal government’s obligation for states to expand their Medicaid coverage. As a result, only about half of the states have chosen to sign on to the new Medicaid program.

Not equal access: There’s been some controversy in Canada lately over wait times and access to timely care, but this pales in comparison to the wide gulf that exists in access to care in the United States. Obamacare tries to address this in its provisions for insurance reform, such as lifting pre-existing conditions and limits on co-payment. But for all of the emphasis on affordable care, the new law reinforces the notion that access depends on how much you can afford, not how much you need. In the health insurance exchanges, the price of premiums will depend on your age, health, income, and on whether you opt for a bronze, silver, gold or platinum coverage. In Canada, access to necessary health care services is not a competition/

It is my opinion that Obamacare will entrench the private nature of the American system, and likely render national health insurance, or anything remotely like “Canadian-style” health care, impossible to attain in the foreseeable future.

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011

Re: Obamacare

Post by LadySaturn » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:01 am

It's a whole stew of b.s. that keeps having ingredients added to it on a daily basis. By the way, the last time I took a taste of b.s. stew it tasted freaking awful and I swore to never eat it again. And I haven't. If anything I'll send my serving back to the kitchen. :no: :hello:

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:28 am

Who asked you? You over educated Canuck! :hello: :mrgreen:
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan
Your brain is like an umbrella. It only works when it's open- Someone Smart

Poet of the Month
March 2011

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Post by heinzs » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:03 am

Thanks Dennis. That was my assessment as well. Well stated.
:mrgreen:
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:38 am

I guess it's off to a soft start. I sure hope it turns out to be a big success especially with all the problems. Take Care
Take me back, so far back, adjust this fate. Afeared lately of pen, in abscence of light. The fear I might stumble upon a plagiarized soul. Wipe this dark slate clean, regain my thought. Add the words that rekindle my depth of soul.

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:03 am

Some other countries who treat their people with dignity:

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:18 pm

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:22 pm

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:26 pm

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:37 pm

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:40 pm

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:22 am

That's some pretty graphic evidence you got there. Eh? :mrgreen:
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan
Your brain is like an umbrella. It only works when it's open- Someone Smart

Poet of the Month
March 2011

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:09 pm

Don't call me Eh.
:mrgreen:

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011