How bad is it ?

Poetry Pages members' lounge. Any topic welcome within propriety guidelines.

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway

preston
Forever Silent Friend

How bad is it ?

Post by preston » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:16 am

Described as a "train wreck" by one of its original authors (Sen. Baucus), and called a "fiasco for the ages" by the Wall Street Journal, Obamacare is a massive government boondoggle that's headed for complete disaster.

In a desperate effort to get out of the way of that oncoming train, insurance companies are scrambling to flee the market entirely. America's largest health insurer, UnitedHealth, has just announced it's closing shop in California and walking away from all health insurance customers there.

That's how bad Obamacare really is, even for the insurance companies: it's better to close up shop than even attempt to serve customers under the government's onerous rules.
:arrow: http://www.naturalnews.com/041101_Obama ... dates.html

:computer:

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Re: How bad is it ?

Post by bags123 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:54 am

No doubt there'll be some rough spots during it's implementation,...but after we get used to it,...perhaps 5-10 years from now,....I think we, as a nation, will see it's benefits :mrgreen: . Let's face it,...the years ahead must be planned for immediatly. While there's still time. The very economic structure, that we've grown up with, is unsustainable. Only a very small proportion of the population are continueing to benifit from the status quo. To them,...it always was more about the money. I can't feel sorry for the demise of the insurance companies. Or should I say; "The Legalized Extortion Companies". Long term,...I think Obamacare is a step in the right direction. Especially if you're more left in your personal political persuasions. :mrgreen:
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan
Your brain is like an umbrella. It only works when it's open- Someone Smart

Poet of the Month
March 2011

nekot
Poetry Piper

Post by nekot » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:46 am

I don't know the details of Obamacare. I guess I should google "Obamacare for dummies."

We have a teaching hospital where I live...Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center. They just built a new complex some 7ish miles away from the main hospital. Then, another 6ish miles down the interstate, I saw another WFBMC facility which apparently was started in 2011 and still being added to. These extra facilities cost millions. Then I learn that Novant owns both Wake Forest Baptist and Forsyth Hospitals. To my knowledge, the two hospitals were separate as of a few years ago.

Then I get automated emails from Novant/WFBMC letting me know that I need a check up or a mammogram or a colonoscopy. The signature name was my then General Practitioner. Last I knew she wasn't with WFBMC, but I guess Novant buying WFBMC connected my then-GP with WFBMC.

Anyway, it kind of feel likes Novant is to the NC medical business what Walmart is to the local mom 'n pop's store. Probably not a good comparison...to compare material goods bought and sold with people's healthcare bought and sold. But then, maybe it is a good comparison.

The whole conglomerate makes me want to run in another direction...like to the acupuncturist and herbalist and homeopath...and someone licensed but outside the conglomerate. And that only on a limited basis when and if needed.

But then, a national health care system would be a conglomerate too, I reckon?

Hmmm...just found the article below regarding WFBMC, about losses due to implementing a new electronic health records system. That must be what starting sending me emails in the past 6ish months. Things have gotten way too complicated.
http://tinyurl.com/k9d4hhx
~eloquently scattered~
nekot's tokens

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011

Post by LadySaturn » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:09 am

If you believe Obamacare is a step in the right direction, I've got a magical unicorn and a bridge to sell you Bagsy. I do agree we need a HealthCare plan just not Obama's and not right now when the economy is still on thin ice. There are more important issues in this country that should be addressed that are not. There are also rights in this country last time I checked and those rights are being trampled on by those in D.C. including Obama. So if you honestly think I'm going to trust the government with my overall health.. Again, I've got a bridge and a magical unicorn to sell you. :hello:

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:34 am

If you believe Obamacare is a step in the right direction, I've got a magical unicorn and a bridge to sell you Bagsy
Aw,...but I just gave those too you last Interdepence day! :crying: Now ya want to sell them back to me? OK,....I'll give ya 10 bucks for the both of 'em, and the unicorns horn better not be broken! :mrgreen:
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan

Poet of the Month
March 2011

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:05 am

It still amazes me when Americans swallow the lie that universal health care is too expensive. We've had it in Canada for generations and the only problem we have right now is the Corporate conservatives up here are trying to defund it and privatise it for their lobbyist (insurance company) friends. Max Baucus by the way, is in the top 10 for corporate ass kissing.

On the other hand, Eric Cantor who makes 6 figures working a few weeks a year in Congress is trying to introduce legislation that will ban over-time pay for workers in America and some people actually support this move. It seems that racism, homophobia and misogyny trump economic and common sense.

The only explanation I can find for this insanity is that the religious right wing fringe has somehow caused white America to lose its collective mind while the Congressional leadership finds the money from the Koch brothers and friends much, much too hard to resist.

Some will always believe that American health care is great no matter the evidence to the contrary but then the same people likely believe that having the highest murder rate is cause to celebrate being #1.

Simply stated, Canada and most European countries have better health care for all their citizens than the US does and they do it without bankrupting their people. Of course Canada also has same sex marriage in every province without causing Armageddon type havoc as well. And Canada doesn't allow oil companies or mines to operate within national parks and somehow the country still manages to survive. it just may be that Americas problem goes a bit deeper and further then having Obama as President. Especially since the US President has less power than a Canadian or British PM does in domestic policy matters.

History will not be kind to American policy during this era.

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011

Post by LadySaturn » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:05 am

bags123 wrote:
If you believe Obamacare is a step in the right direction, I've got a magical unicorn and a bridge to sell you Bagsy
Aw,...but I just gave those too you last Interdepence day! :crying: Now ya want to sell them back to me? OK,....I'll give ya 10 bucks for the both of 'em, and the unicorns horn better not be broken! :mrgreen:
:no: :no: :no:

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:57 pm

And then there is PerryCare :

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Texa ... story.html

Easier for a poor man to get a lethal injection in Texas than it is to get medical procedures covered by medicare in most western countries.

preston
Forever Silent Friend

Post by preston » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:47 am

You say you want a lethal injection
Well, you know
This ain't the way to save the world

:arrow: http://www.examiner.com/article/do-you- ... -a-vaccine

:arrow: http://www.amazingfootpads.com/pdf/what ... accine.pdf

~

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:50 am

Personally,...I inhale all my antibiotics,...never liked needles. :cheers:

Poet of the Month
March 2011

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:02 am

preston wrote:You say you want a lethal injection
Well, you know
~
Mercury and several other ingredients in vaccines were banned by Liberal governments here long ago. Not so, in your neck of the woods. Similar to the ban on GMOs in Europe that are failing in North America thus far (thanks to a conservative government in Canada and a Republican controlled congress in the US).

GMOs are proven to cause cancer in cattle and pigs but they are quickly butchered as soon as tumors begin to appear.

http://www.infowars.com/gmo-companies-j ... you-money/

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:58 pm

bags123 wrote:Personally,...I inhale all my antibiotics,...never liked needles. :cheers:
One of the reasons I don't buy US beef or dairy is the overuse of antibiotics in the industry.

Return to “Open Discussions and Members' Messages”