Information Overload!

Poetry Pages members' lounge. Any topic welcome within propriety guidelines.

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Information Overload!

Post by bags123 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:45 am

Anybody else feel like there's too much stuff happening all at once nowadays?? Almost to the point where it's getting hard to just relax, and collect your thoughts, before they start spilling out of your brain, and onto the sidewalk? Like the old axiom; "Garbage in, Garbage out", alot of the information we absorb is unnecessary, but everpresent. Kind of like a "Big Mac" meal is always just around the corner. It's getting harder to avoid the temptation to
indulge ourselves with what we already know is designed to make us all more fat, stupid, and docile. Easy to manage. So,...my first order of business for the new year,...priority number uno,....is to control the access to my brain from all but selected sources. I'm going to mentally defrag, then trash all the files
I've collected over the years that no longer serve any purpose. Then I'm just going to concentrate on whats left. Perhaps by the time I'm ready to go I'll at least get something right. :computer:
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan
Your brain is like an umbrella. It only works when it's open- Someone Smart

Poet of the Month
March 2011

preston
Forever Silent Friend

Re: Information Overload!

Post by preston » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:02 am

This is the mainstream messing with your mind.
Most of what they're pushing can and should be disregarded.

It's primary purpose is to keep you confused, frightened and overloaded.

:book:

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011

Post by LadySaturn » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:15 am

I agree with the Texan. Most of the mainstream media now a days is controlled by the government to keep the people confused and to also divide the people. Because they know if folks every got together and stopped the idle bickering, they would be screwed.

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:52 am

Just need to focus, like in a crowd with your date. You don't notice the noisy herd until she leaves the table for awhile. Awareness of the universe is a great metaphysical concept but not a very practical one.

:hello:

Moushka
Blue Sea Poet
Tag line: Trusting God

Post by Moushka » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:46 am

LadySaturn wrote:I agree with the Texan. Most of the mainstream media now a days is controlled by the government to keep the people confused and to also divide the people. Because they know if folks every got together and stopped the idle bickering, they would be screwed.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtZ5YsvREi4 :thumbsup: :hello:
Stuck on Number 2. Learning to begin.
1.Believe 2.Belong 3.Become
1.Awareness 2.Acceptance 3.Action

wgilstrap
Clearwater Poet

Post by wgilstrap » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:25 pm

definitely sensory overload..kind of like Blitzkrieg...except they lash at our minds....so we are like duh!
makes us good little worker bees and we ignore the man behind the curtain. smoke and mirrors.
:cheers: :smash:
Some people live their whole lives with people that they think they are the closest to, but really are the furthest away from.
William Charles Gilstrap

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:21 am

I personally do not think that there is any real plan or management of this objective at all. It's just plain old lazyness by an over saturated media circus that's doing nothing more than selling soap. What was once the afternoon soap opera is now the network and 24/7 cable news media. They keep throwing us bits and pieces of what might be credible news worthy and drowned it out with what they feel will sell soap or increase ratings which sells soap. :shrug: I too am sick of it and don't feel like paying attention to the circus any longer. Beware! There's a lot of danger in not paying attention to the insanity going on around you. :hello: Take Care
Take me back, so far back, adjust this fate. Afeared lately of pen, in abscence of light. The fear I might stumble upon a plagiarized soul. Wipe this dark slate clean, regain my thought. Add the words that rekindle my depth of soul.

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:58 pm

I agree Mikey. I'm beginning to think we should start billing the cable companies for forcing us to waste so much time watching their damn sponsers commercials. It's mind numbing. You literally can't shut it off even if you switch channels. For this? I'm paying 180 bucks a month? You buy something online, and you're inundated forever after with weekly emails announcing every jot, and tittle that they change on their stupid web site. I've had to change my email
address because I'd be getting 500 emails a day that I'd have to sort through. If I didn't check it for a few days, God forbid,...the flood gates would open, and a tsunami of email would come pouring out into my intobox. Hey,...that's a good title for a poem; "Into my Into Box" :mrgreen: :thumbsup:
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan

Poet of the Month
March 2011

Bruno
MAXIMUS LUDICROUS

Post by Bruno » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:50 pm

It's precisely in situations like like these when senility becomes an asset because it doesn't accept overloads. What is non essential is simply not accepted and no need for any discretionary brain power to filter it all out.

But seriously, a few months back on an all news radio station the statement was made that moderns are slowly regressing in intelligence and we statistically are moving backward on the I.Q. front. Modern technologies and communication in many of its ramifications are accused of being the foremost contributors to that deficit. Our forbears, presumably, had greater problem solving skills than their successors. Whether true or not, the effects of mass communication and everything it implies seems to act like more like an anti-intelligence virus than an intelligence meme.

Nietzsche, who knew nothing about computers and the internet,etc, already had a preconception when he wrote in Zarathustra around the mid 1880's with everyone being allowed to read and write soon the spirit itself will stink. While I don't quite agree with this statement there is a deep element of truth in it since even reading & writing has suffered in the process.

nekot
Poetry Piper

Post by nekot » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:17 am

We pay $10 a month for cable...of course we only get 14(?) channels? We mute most commercials...except for beer and nationwide and sonic; they are funny. :lol:

John Prine..."Blow up the TV, Throw away the paper...."
Cover...but a good one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5mV_FeaNZU
~eloquently scattered~
nekot's tokens

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011

Post by LadySaturn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:17 am

I think with all the latest technology, mankind has become brain dead. Instead of doing the thinking for oneself, there are gadgets and gizmos that basically do the thinking. Mankind relies too much on technology and thus this is why the world is the way it is.

Moushka
Blue Sea Poet

Post by Moushka » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:40 am

Has anyone heard about the 37 planets with life that 'they' have discovered? Well, shi%R$#, I need a ride to the liquor store in Alaska before it closes. This website, in my opinion, is practically dead. Am i an idiot to ask you guys for help in Anchorage, Ak? :no: turned to :hello:

Moushka
Blue Sea Poet

Post by Moushka » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:07 am

Eternum 1 wrote:Just need to focus, like in a crowd with your date. You don't notice the noisy herd until she leaves the table for awhile. Awareness of the universe is a great metaphysical concept but not a very practical one.

:hello:
Are you single? Because, as a very valuable single woman, You would be a great catch! :hearts:
I love ALL women, so if you are taken, use your words carefully.

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:17 pm

I am a great catch aren't I? Yes I've been hooked, netted, gaffed and shake and baked. Kinda like that singing fish on the wall next to the velvet elvis and dogs playing poker.

Man's love is of man's life a part; it is a woman's whole existence. In her first passion, a woman loves her lover, in all the others all she loves is love. (Lord Byron)

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:14 am

Eternum 1 wrote:I am a great catch aren't I? Yes I've been hooked, netted, gaffed and shake and baked.
You've always been such a romantic. :cool: I hope she used those Japenese "Panko" bread crumbs. They make anything taste good. :mrgreen:

Poet of the Month
March 2011

Return to “Open Discussions and Members' Messages”