To all members in the path of Irene

Poetry Pages members' lounge. Any topic welcome within propriety guidelines.

Moderators: LadySaturn, Spazway

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Re: To all members in the path of Irene

Post by bags123 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:37 am

Jah Know.
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan
Your brain is like an umbrella. It only works when it's open- Someone Smart

Poet of the Month
March 2011

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011

Post by LadySaturn » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:13 am

SamIAm wrote:
LadySaturn wrote: You just called Yahweh by his shorten named Jah short for Jehovah/Yahweh. I hope you realize that.. Because if you were trying to be a smartass, you failed miserably... :no:
Quite true, My Lady. And did you know the word "hallelujah" means "praise Jehovah"? People say it every day. We name our children. We name our pets. We name our hurricanes. Yet, some people refuse to believe God could have a name. :shrug:
That's because some folks choose to live in ignorance. What's that saying that I heard... "It's easier to be narrow minded than open." One of my professors actually said that. Which I think can apply here. God has a million and one names but the only name that people want to recognize him is as God. Now if you call God by Yahweh or Jah or even Jehovah, you get a look like you're crazy. Especially in this country. Now in Israel Jews don't call God Yahweh because they considered it holy and only the High Priest can utter that name in the Holy Temple on Yom Kippur. (Yahweh is something few but a majority of Christians should use). The Jews do however call Him HaShem meaning the holy blessed one. In prayer however they use Adonai. They also have other names they call him by as well. At least anywhere from seven to a million. To them God has more than one name. I'd like to also note that they consider God's name to be so sacred that when they write God.. They don't use the o.. so it looks like G-d. They do this in case they make a mistake when they write and have to throw it out. They feel that way they are not defiling God's name by doing so. I tell you something this country can learn alot from Israel and it's people, if only we learned to open our minds and stop being so damn narrow minded.

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:14 pm

The name Yeshua ben David is quoted as calling upon on Golgotha was Eloi (Eloi, Eloi, Lama Sabachthani) which is often mistakenly translated as father. Eloi is the only name the Greek author Paul quoted Christ as using for God however. Most linguists translate Eloi as meaning God.

I call the zionists God, "Betty" because she listens lke a woman and has a herstory of locking pig headed men out of the house (to wander aimlessly for years in the company of jewish lawyers) when they piss her off.

Yahweh is actually a pagan name for one of many Gods ( a rather minor one at that) worshipped by early Hebrews along with babylonian Gods like Baal and Astarte.

Hebrews living in Israel hadn't heard of Yahweh until the ruler of ancient Iraq/Iran freed their slave cousins from Babylon. They brought their sect and a coincidental tale about another captivity in Egypt back to Palestine after they were set free. Then and only then did Yahweh the slave God move up to be numero uno in the pantheon of the Hebrews.

The power in names comes from Quaballa or Kaballah which also originated in Pagan belief that symbols and names have power, hence the star of david still used by law enforcment people. G-d is simple superstition however unless one believes knowing a gods true name gives you power of some sort.

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn

Post by LadySaturn » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:07 am

Oh good lord, E.T... I wasn't trying to get debatable on here... I was just giving some background as to what I've been studying.. Geez.. :roll: And again, God has many names... Some call him Fred others call him Yahweh... :hello:

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:00 pm

I enjoy a theological discussion from a historical perspective. I try not to put forward a personal opinion because I think religion like everything else evolves over time.

Who knows what our descendents will call God. One thing for certain; if our species explores the cosmos, most earth bound beliefs, let alone the tribal ones, will change radically.

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:02 pm

Eternum 1 wrote: Who knows what our descendents will call God. One thing for certain; if our species explores the cosmos, most earth bound beliefs, let alone the tribal ones, will change radically.
Interesting thought. Will there still be a need for God in 2 hundred years? I've read a little about the "Transhumanism" movement. It's a philosophy that says the next step in human evolution is combining ourselves with the machines we create. You'd be amazed at the luminaires who claim to be devotees. :book:
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan
Your brain is like an umbrella. It only works when it's open- Someone Smart

Poet of the Month
March 2011

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn

Post by LadySaturn » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:53 pm

Oh good lord, I think I just opened a door... :roll:

Return to “Open Discussions and Members' Messages”