Internet Trolls and Flame Wars

Our rules and posting guidelines. Read before posting.

Moderator: heinzs

Berlie
Behind the Curtain
Tag line: Behind the Curtain

Internet Trolls and Flame Wars

Post by Berlie » Sun May 01, 2005 6:44 am

Internet troll
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

An Internet troll is either a person who sends messages on the Internet hoping to entice other users into angry or fruitless responses, or a message sent with such content. The term derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies" and ultimately from trolling for fish; it first appeared on Usenet. The term is frequently abused to slander opponents in heated debates and is frequently misapplied to those who are ignorant of etiquette.

Trolling is often described as an online version of the breaching experiment, where social boundaries and rules of etiquette are broken. Self-proclaimed trolls often style themselves as Devil's Advocates or gadflies or culture jammers, challenging the dominant discourse and assumptions of the forum they are trolling in an attempt to subvert and introduce different ways of thinking. Detractors who value etiquette claim that true Devil's Advocates generally identify themselves as such for the sake of etiquette, whereas trolls often consider etiquette to be something worth trolling in order to fight groupthink.

Trolls are sometimes caricatured as socially inept. This is often due to the fundamental attribution error, as it is impossible to know the real traits of an individual solely from their online discourse. Indeed, since intentional trolls are alleged to knowingly flout social boundaries, it is difficult to typecast them as socially inept since they have arguably proven adept at their goal.

Read more at Wikipedia... (Click here)

A long read.. but very informative.

Other good reads:

Flamebait
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamebait

Flaming / Flamewars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming

And by the way.. we don't tolerate trolling or flaming for very long here.
--------------------------------------------------
twisting the throttle
as I lean into the curve
bug SPLAT on my face
--------------------------------------------------
My Poetry Posts | My Poetry Vault | Self-Pub.net

Return to “Forum Rules and Guidelines”