Forum Rules and Guidelines

Our rules and posting guidelines. Read before posting.

Moderator: heinzs

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Forum Rules and Guidelines

Post by heinzs » Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:38 pm

If you notice a post where these guidelines are not being followed, or a member who is not following them, please report the post to the forum moderator or Heinzs via a PM.

1. Treat other members, moderators and admins with respect. No flaming, insulting or rude comments toward another person or their poetry are allowed. If you feel insulted or affronted by a comment on one of your posts please report that to a moderator.

2. Heated discussions and debates are allowed but keep it civil. No personal attacks are allowed. Keep personal comments friendly. Some subjects are obvious red flags. Try to keep these at a minimum.

3. You can use some "cuss" words in a post/poem as long as it is appropriate to the content of the poem and not too extreme or excessive. Any posts deemed to have crossed the "line" (and it is not an absolute defined line) may find themselves deleted or removed.

4. Feel free to offer suggestions and critique on others work but be polite and supportive when you give advice.

5. If someone offers you advice or makes suggestions about your poem remember that they are offering their OPINION and their advice is not personal. The only person's opinion on a poem that really counts is the person who wrote it.

6. We ask that you do not flood the forums with new poetry posts. Please only submit 2-3 new poems per forum per day.

7. If you are posting poetry looking for comments please take the time to read others' posted poetry and comment on their work in return.

8. Avatar size restrictions:

No animated avatars.
No larger than 100x125
No vulgar, rude or offensive images.
(definition of the above at the discretion of admin and moderator staff)

9. Signature Guidelines:

Keep it short and sweet, no more than 5 lines. Only one image allowed in a signature. Image should be small, no larger than 65 pixels in height and not animated. Image counts as one of the signature lines. No vulgar, rude or offensive language. No solicitations. Admin will be final arbitrators of signature disputes. Html links to sites other than poetry related sites or the author's own website will be considered spam and deleted.

10. Poetry Storage:

Never rely on these forums or the "Poets Pages" to store your poetry. Most of the forums are set to auto prune older posts. Your poetry posts may also be lost due to technical problems. Always keep a hard copy of your work in a safe place.

11. Bumping:

Replying to a post brings it back to the top of the forum index. Replying to a poem with the purpose of bringing it back to the top is refereed to as "bumping".

Bumping is acceptable in certain situations:

1. One of your older posts is in danger of being auto pruned since it has not received any replies in a long time. To save a poem from being pruned you are allowed to give it a bump in order to save it until it is due to be pruned again. Don't bump a bunch of your older poems at once, spread them out over time so that they don't all get pushed to the top at once.

2. Posting a "thanks" after every reply to one of your poems keeps bumping your poem to the top. We encourage you to wait until you have a few replies and say thanks to the replies in a single post instead of a bunch of individual thank you replies.

3. Back page bumping: While we encourage people to browse the "back pages" of the forums and occasionally "bump" a poem that deserves a second look, it should be done in moderation. Bumping an old poem to the top pushes the new poems further down. A couple of bumps doesn't pose a problem but when a large number of poems are bumped up from the back pages at in a short amount of time new poems get pushed way down the list. It can be very discouraging to those who have recently posted to find their poems already pushed way down the page by much older posts being bumped.

We aren't saying don't bump older posts, but just do it in moderation and be considerate of the new posts.

4. Targeted replies: A series of replies targeting one particular poet creates a bumping queue with all those posts moved to the top of the page. That's great news for that poet, but it means everyone else has been pushed down the page to be more difficult to "find". Everyone deserves their moment in the top 10 posts, but probably not all 10 of them at one time... lol. Please try to be judicious with your targeted responses. I always try to shuffle mine to create a variety for that short moment in time before someone else responds in the same forum.

These guidelines will be updated and modified as needed. I will then "bump" the topic so it receives a "new post" flag when you log in. I recommend reading all such flagged topics appearing in the admin forums to which you have access.

:mrgreen:
Last edited by heinzs on Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

heinzs
The Fat Cat

Re: Forum Rules and Guidelines

Post by heinzs » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:30 pm

:bump:
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

heinzs
The Fat Cat

Re: Forum Rules and Guidelines

Post by heinzs » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:00 pm

:bump:
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

Return to “Forum Rules and Guidelines”