Question from a non-native English speaker

Come on in to give and receive critique, suggestions or help with work in progress or finished pieces. Any format welcome.

Moderator: bags123

soular
Brain Beach
Tag line: Love and only love

Question from a non-native English speaker

Post by soular » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:48 pm

How does "compromise" sound to you?
What about "possibility"?

---

Both can be positive or negative, right?
But it seems biased.

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Re: Question from a non-native English speaker

Post by bags123 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:54 am

It's has to be very difficult to understand the nuances of the English language. "To compromise" generally means when you have two different opinions on any given subject, the differing opinions agree to meet in the middle on common ground,...and ignore (sometime temporarilly) the extremes of both aurguments. A possibility,...is any possible outcome of any event.
Hope that helps. Arigato! :cheers: :computer:
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan
Your brain is like an umbrella. It only works when it's open- Someone Smart

Poet of the Month
March 2011

soular
Brain Beach

Post by soular » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:35 am

Thanks much, bags (or I should say arigato). I understand their meanings (we have the same words in Japanese) but I wonder why "compromise" sounds negative while "possibility" sounds positive to me and want to know how other people think. Not to do with context but to do with sound or feel, maybe.

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:58 am

Hi Soular,
Yeah,...I see what you're saying. Compromise involves giving up some part of your opinion for the betterment of the whole. Therefore it does take on a negative aspect I suppose,...while possibility is what you imagine it could be, therefore it has a more positive vibe to it. Hey,..."positive vibrations" Jah mon. :mrgreen:
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan
Your brain is like an umbrella. It only works when it's open- Someone Smart

Poet of the Month
March 2011

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Post by heinzs » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:48 am

If someone wins an argument he is the victor, and usually happy. The loser, on the other hand, is unhappy. In a compromise both are unhappy, but have agreed to sublimate their negative feelings for the good of all. It can, therefore, never be fully "positive" in feeling, simply due to the nature of the beast. Possibility encompasses all of our wishes and dreams, and who would not find that positive? However, we must always remember that in that possibility also lies the chance of all of our fears and nightmares. Humans are innately optimistic and we go out of our way to find the "good" in others and the positive. We shun the "bad" and the negatives until we are directly confronted by them and have no choice. I agree that the word "compromise", regardless of its cooperative meaning, has a negative feel due to the knowledge that in compromising one must give something up in order to get less than we want, just to remain "peaceful".

Language is an interesting phenomenon that can promote communication at the same time that it creates division. In a way it is in itself a "compromise".

Cheers Seiichi! Always good to see you online.

Heinz
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

soular
Brain Beach

Post by soular » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:32 pm

bags123 wrote:"positive vibrations"
heinzs wrote:Possibility encompasses all of our wishes and dreams, and who would not find that positive? However, we must always remember that in that possibility also lies the chance of all of our fears and nightmares. Humans are innately optimistic and we go out of our way to find the "good" in others and the positive. We shun the "bad" and the negatives until we are directly confronted by them and have no choice.
Thank you two very much. This came from when I handwrote some kanji over and over almost possessed,
I kind of felt its origin from drawing to language, to communicate the discovery. Lots of feelings in it. And
it changed the way of my communication in language. This kind always happens at the very end of
the search (or when I see a woman I'd never know why I'm so attracted to) of meaning
whatever we call life energy comes sweeping it all, keeping the search still going. :grin:

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Post by heinzs » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:14 pm

:thumbsup:
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

Return to “Workshop/Critiques Wanted”