Grading your critiques

Come on in to give and receive critique, suggestions or help with work in progress or finished pieces. Any format welcome.

Moderator: bags123

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Grading your critiques

Post by heinzs » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:52 pm

Here's an exercise for the poets whose works are being critiqued here. Use the guidelines presented in the locked topics as markers for "grading" or critiquing your critiques. If you found a critique to be helpful, tell the reviewer why and how it was. If you, instead, have no idea what the reviewer meant by his/her remarks, say so with specifics aimed at those parts you found confusing. If you found the critique inappropriate, that's on your head since you posted in the critique forum, but you may say so, since that is your right. At least tell the reviewer what you found objectionable about the critique. Sometimes the formation of a dialog between poet and reviewer gives a much clearer and broader picture to others reading posts in the forums. In addition the dialog is educational for both poet and reviewer.

Cheers and keep posting!

:thumbsup:

This topic is not locked. Feel free to post replies here if you wish to make a comment on critiquing poetry and critiquing critiques.

If you wish to make a comment on any of the locked topics, do so as a new post and put the name of the topic in the title or on the first line of your comment.
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

heinzs
The Fat Cat

Re: Grading your critiques

Post by heinzs » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:44 pm

:bump:

burdick
Seafoam Poet

Post by burdick » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:09 am

would unlock and stick this where it belongs?

I have been absent from here for some time, so I want to ask some questions about how things work now.
I am in the midst of writing prose fiction…..book length stuff.
Why? 1) for “fun”, 2)to keep out of my wife’s hair, 3)for my grandchildren to read,4) for fame and fortune.
I took a creative writing course in college…it was a beanbag course and I needed to get my GPA up. Liked the teacher, got nothing out of the course. I have lots of education…perhaps immune to it now.
So much for disclosure, now to a few questions:
Could I post a pdf file from lulu in one of these forums? 200-300 pages with jpgs.
Is there any retreat (in a nice warm place) for people like me…that might do some good?
Any good ideas that I missed entirely? I note that the section for “advice for writers” is missing…???
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/burdick

heinzs
The Fat Cat

Post by heinzs » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:00 am

Hi James. This forum is actually a PHP based BBS and doesn't support files of the nature you are envisioning. It does, however, totally support hyperlinks. So if you have a host for your PDF you can link to it in a post here and anyone can then access it in a single click of the mouse. For a relatively small monthly fee you can get a Yahoo small business account (I have one at www.heinzs.org) which comes with server space for your own website, or there are some "free" website carriers out there that can host you as a website or as a PDF storage site that would serve the purpose.

I'm not sure we ever had a true "advice to writers" section... If it were here it would be under FAQ or one of the administrative forums that show up at the top of the pages.

A secluded spot to gather one's thoughts... the Adirondacks come to mind :grin: Or Belize... I'm afraid you may be on your own on that one.

Cheers to you, and thank you once again for offering me the opportunity of proofreading your first volume. I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Heinz

burdick
Seafoam Poet

Post by burdick » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:44 am

I can barely type...computers and the web are great mysteries to me. Despite "New Tricks". this old dog is going to stay dumb about some things...the mountain will have to come to me.
my wife is from upper New York so the Adirondacks are out.
Belize is where all the 1% hide...haven't been there.....maybe next winter.
thanks...

burdick
Seafoam Poet

Post by burdick » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:45 am

to update....
I have finished and published a book now. "the distant garden" via Lulu.
I don't like it and find the 300+ pages both a joy and a despair.
a joy...hey! I DID it!
a despair...in truth it has many many problems.
the most positive outcome is that my story now has a life of its' own. It is telling me what wants to be told. I see prose as telling me....poetry as springing from the head of Zeus. (MUCH different)

heinzs
The Fat Cat

Post by heinzs » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:14 am

An interesting observation. Thanks for the insight, James! :cool:

Return to “Workshop/Critiques Wanted”