Monterrey 1967

This forum is for poems that are in tribute to an event, tragedy, person, etc. Subforums are memorials to PoetryPages members who have crossed the rainbow bridge.

Moderator: moonflower

Forum rules
This forum is for poems that are in tribute to an event, tragedy, person, etc.
This forum does not autoprune.
MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Re: Monterrey 1967

Post by MJPease » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:01 am

Nice Tribiute Bags, the people came and listened, and others gave away flowers, as young gods with music, born of love, children danced night and day, and even the cops grooved with us Down in Monterrey The Byrds and The Airplane Did Fly! Down In Monterrey d dd dd Down in Monterrey MONTERREY! -Eric Burdon and the Animals /The ultimate power tribute to the Summer Of Love.

Big Brother and The Holding Company
Canned Heat
Jefferson Airplane
The Who
Country Joe and The Fish /Gimmie an F Gimmie a U .........What's that spell
Otis Redding
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
The Mama's and The Papa's- We recently heard what was up with one of them Papas
Simon and Garfunkel
Eric Burdon and The Animals
Scott McKenzie
Hugh Masekela
The Geatful Dead
Ravi Shankar- Who is his daughter
Johny Rivers
Bags 1966-67 was the being of life as I want to know it. I was 14 when I formed my band "Shades Of Mind" We were soon doing 5 Hendrix cover tunes at least.
Take me back, so far back, adjust this fate. Afeared lately of pen, in abscence of light. The fear I might stumble upon a plagiarized soul. Wipe this dark slate clean, regain my thought. Add the words that rekindle my depth of soul.

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:20 am

Hi Michael,
Great times. We're about the same age I would have been about 13. I still get chills when I watch the old movies. Now we're just a couple of old farts with good memories. :mrgreen: Could be alot worse. :cheers: Do you still have any old recordings from your old band?
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan
Your brain is like an umbrella. It only works when it's open- Someone Smart

Poet of the Month
March 2011

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:48 pm

Hello Gerry, Back in them days we were lucky enough to have photographs. It took some real Meat and Potatoes to do some recording. Not like today. I have enough equipment in this room I'm sitting in to record every fart that blows. But no band or the energy to participate. How backward this thing called life. Young full of piss and vinegar, no assets. Old with assets, no piss and vinegar. Along with my recent return to the Page's I've begun looking for all of the original members of "Shades Of Mind" The tuff part of it is that none of us attended the same high school. Shades Of Mind broke up when I lost my mind and joined the Marines. Try figuring that one out. Take Care
Oh! By the way you play or used to play keyboard. I've got enough equipment to put a band on the road my friend. I've even got an extra walker :mrgreen:
Take me back, so far back, adjust this fate. Afeared lately of pen, in abscence of light. The fear I might stumble upon a plagiarized soul. Wipe this dark slate clean, regain my thought. Add the words that rekindle my depth of soul.

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

gordy
Windfall Prophet

Post by gordy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:45 am

although some people are very opposed to the concept, facebook is a very very good place to search for your old bandmates, i have found literally dozens of people from my past who i would have probably never ever connected with again in my lifetime....you don't have to know their high school, just type in their name and you can search that way. if you ever need any help looking for people just let me know, i would be glad to lend a hand.
-----------------------------

My Jesus hung out with thieves and sluts and liars, which Jesus do you worship?

---Todd Agnew

Perfection is my enemy
Procrastination is his cohort
Persistence is my sword

---Gordy

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:59 am

MJPease wrote:Hello Gerry, Back in them days we were lucky enough to have photographs. It took some real Meat and Potatoes to do some recording. Not like today. I have enough equipment in this room I'm sitting in to record every fart that blows. But no band or the energy to participate. How backward this thing called life. Young full of piss and vinegar, no assets. Old with assets, no piss and vinegar. Along with my recent return to the Page's I've begun looking for all of the original members of "Shades Of Mind" The tuff part of it is that none of us attended the same high school. Shades Of Mind broke up when I lost my mind and joined the Marines. Try figuring that one out. Take Care
Oh! By the way you play or used to play keyboard. I've got enough equipment to put a band on the road my friend. I've even got an extra walker :mrgreen:

I still tinkle the keys alittle now and then Michael. Also played drums. Last time I played was at least 12 years ago,....probably have to learn to play all over again. The coordination tends to go after awhile. It's the weirdest thing to sit down at a drum set and imagine that you can still play after not playing for awhile. You know what you have to do,...imagine that you still can,...then "f" up all over the place. I remember Pete Townsend of the Who saying that each time they went into the studio to do an album,... they had to give Keith Moon a month or so in order to learn to play again. Maybe we could form a band of old farts, and call ourselves "The Retreds". What d'ya think? :mrgreen:
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan

Poet of the Month
March 2011

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:33 am

I think "Shades Of Mind" is a bit more appropriate. More so today than back in my teen years of experience with this thing called life. I've already titled our first tune "MInor Variation Of Difference" Lyrics and melody yet to be written. If we're not up to performing the finished product. How about searching the Page's etc. for some young talent, getting them together and, well it's never too late to dream, is it?
Hello Gordy Thanks for the info Face Book has actually led me back to Pete Weisbeck our keyboard player, or at least I think so . Have yet to make contact. It's kind of strange I was contacted by Classmates. Noticed the name of a girl for which we played a party, come to think, noticed a lot of girls names with an additional name attached. I've been invited to a Christmas party. I found a friends name who I had nicknamed Smiley. In fact Smilely's parents had a nice garage. He invited us to play there on Friday nights. This turned into a weekly fri. night jam session. Players mainly guitar would come from all over the Buffalo area just to sit in. I played for hrs on end being a bass player our drummer and I were the permanent rhythm section. I played with some kids that were just outstanding musicians. A kid showed up one day and played Eric Claptons/Creams lead version of Crossroads. In them days it was quite a feat for a young man of lets say 14-15 yrs old. I'd like to find out what He's been up to. I don't remember his name but I remember were he lived 44 years ago. Next door to U-Crest music store on George Urban Blvd. Cheektowaga NY :mrgreen:
Buffalo and Western NY is one of the nations best kept secrets when it comes to producing musicians; Billy Sheehan/ Bass Player of the Year multiple times, During the 70's his band Talas Played the Barrel Head every Tuesday night. We watched him literally grow into the most progressive player in the world. Annie DeFranco, The Google Dolls/ Robbie Takac Lives around the corner from me. He's a great (participating) influence in the local music scene w/"Save The Music". Spyro Gyra, Gamalon, Influence's in Three Dog Night- Corey Wells Forigner-Lou Grahm I could go on and on but I won't. Your offer is very intriguing my friend. Are you some sort of private investigator? You know what the number one problem is; the spelling of last names. Our Guitar Players name is Mike Borowiec I know the spelling is wrong. He went to a school in Amherst which no longer exists Bishop Neuman. Married a girl named Ann Grandits. Our original Drummer Rick Manfreda ended up at Stella Niagara (military school) My Grandmother threatened that I was going to join him. :mrgreen: So he could only practice on weekends. We practiced during the week and played on weekends. Our next drummer was Tom (Krabel?) Our lead singers name Dennis Tradowski?) The band was set up with Dennis T. Singer, Mike B. Rhythm and Lead Guitar @ back up Vocal Rick M. Drums Pete W. Farfisa Organ Gordy Here comes the kicker Mike Covell Bass @back up vocal. I went by my Step Fathers last name all the way to the Marines I no sooner stepped onto Parris Island and I was quickly informed. Hey Scumbag your last name is Pease. What's up with that maggot? :mrgreen: They were not very nice people. They cut off all of my hair and threw away my identity :shock:Take Care

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:43 am

Buffalo was definitely a cool town back in the 60's and 70's. One of my friends brothers went to University of Buffalo,..this was back in 1971? 4 of us decided to drive 6hrs to Buffalo, hook up with his brother at UB, who was supposed to have tickets for a concert at the War Memorial Auditorium
featuring Alice Cooper, Blue Oyster Cult, and Spirit for all of us. We drove out in a beat up 1965 Ford Thunderbird. A real chick magnet. :mrgreen:
On the way out and back I think it went through as much oil as it did gas. I got so car sick from the fumes on the way out that I almost hitchiked back,...but it was winter, and I was the driver. :roll: Damn cold as I recall too. By the way,. wasn't Buffalo supposed to be the "City of the Future" back at the turn of the 19th century? What happened to that? :computer: :?: :arrow: :smash: :whip:

Poet of the Month
March 2011

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:49 am

The Saint Lawrence Seaway, It was the final nail in Buffalos Coffin. Great Lakes shipping bypassed us and even ended our being #2 in the Country for Rail traffic. Toronto soon became the King of the HIll. We were the first to have electric light and now that bulbs burned out. Take Care

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:13 am

MJPease wrote:The Saint Lawrence Seaway, It was the final nail in Buffalos Coffin. Great Lakes shipping bypassed us and even ended our being #2 in the Country for Rail traffic. Toronto soon became the King of the HIll. We were the first to have electric light and now that bulbs burned out. Take Care
Are they ever gonna replace the bulb? :mrgreen:

Poet of the Month
March 2011

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:02 am

They keep on trying! They have this big medical corridor thing going now with Roswell Park cancer Institiute Buffalo General Hospital. UB is the big hub for all of this medical research. You know we have to move on from the days of Bethlehem Steel employing 23'000 It's that whole rust belt routine. So yeah maybe they have replaced that burned out bulb.

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

Return to “In Tribute”