Common Questions/Problems - Read First

Use this forum for Poetry Pages problems/questions. You need not be registered to post. If you are having a problem logging in to your account please read the announcement in this topic. If you are a new registrant please post an example of your work in this forum

Moderators: thief of dreams, heinzs

Berlie
Behind the Curtain
Tag line: Behind the Curtain

Common Questions/Problems - Read First

Post by Berlie » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:50 am

Message Board FAQ are posted here: http://www.poetrypages.com/phpBB2/faq.php

:?: <a href="#one">When logging in I am taken back to the log in page or the forum page but I am not logged in and I am not getting an error message. </a>
:?: <a href="#one">Sometimes it logs me out when posting and I have trouble logging back in</a>
:?: <a href="#two">I can't log in!</a>
:?: <a href="#three">I lost/deleted my activation email before I activated my account!</a>
:?: <a href="#four">I lost my password!</a>
:?: <a href="#five">I need help with my free website at MyPoetryPages, where do I go?</a>
:?: <a href="#six">I signed up for a free poetry website, can you help me build my site?</a>
:?: <a href="#seven">How do I indent text in a post?</a>
:?: <a href="#eight">How do I use my own custom avatar?</a>
:?: <a href="#nine">How to I find more poetry posted by a member?</a>
:?: <a href="#ten">My poetry I entered into the Poets Pages doesn't show up in the forums, what's wrong?</a>
:?: <a href="#ten">I registered on the forums but my user name and password doesn't work when I try to go to my Poet's Page.</a>
:?: <a href="#eleven">Can I use cuss words in my posts?</a>

:?: <a name="one">When logging in I am taken back to the log in page or the forum page but I am not logged in and I am not getting an error message.</a>
:?: Sometimes it logs me out when posting and I have trouble logging back in

- This behavior is usually caused by a problem with your cookie settings for this site. Try deleting the cookies and try logging in again. To delete your cookies (in IE): From your browser click on Tools>>Internet Options>>"Temporary Internet Files">>Settings>>View Files. Find and delete all cookies from poetrypages.com and http://www.poetrypages.com then refresh the forum page and try to log in again.
- Check your cookie settings. In your browser (IE) click on Tools>>Internet options>>Privacy. If your privacy settings are set too high you can add PoetryPages to the list of domains that are always allowed to set cookies. In the Privacy section at the bottom under "Web Sites" click "Edit". Enter poetrypages.com into the "Address of Web site" field and press "Allow".

:?: <a name="two">I can't log in!</a>

- Be sure you are using the correct user name and password and are entering it in correctly. User names and passwords are Case Sensitive. So if a letter is IN CAPS it must be entered in CAPS and lower case needs to be lower case.
- Lower case "L" - "l" sometimes looks like the number one "1". Be sure you are entering it correctly.
- Make sure you aren't entering in any extra blank spaces where none should be.
- Make sure your browser is set to allow cookies.
- Try deleting your cookies for this site. From your browser click on Tools>>Internet Options>>"Temporary Internet Files">>Settings>>View Files. Find and delete all cookies from poetrypages.com and http://www.poetrypages.com then refresh the forum page and try to log in again.
- If you just registered, did you click the link that was supplied in the activation email that was sent? Until you do so you will not be able to log in. If you registered but never got an activation email the email you entered may have been incorrect, please contact us.

:?: <a name="three"> I lost/deleted my activation email before I activated my account! </a>

- If you lost or deleted the activation email you received before activating your account send an email to hs48mail-pp2@yahoo.com from the email you signed up under with your Log in name and ask to be manually activated. We cannot manually activate you unless this request is made through the email account you signed up under.

:?: <a name="four"> I lost my password! </a>

- Click on "Log In". Click on the "I forgot my password" link under the log in forum. Enter in your user name and email address that you registered with. A new password will be created and emailed to you.

:?: <a name="seven">How do I indent text in a post?</a>

- Unfortunately there is no easy way to indent text in your post. Currently the only way we have figured out how to do this is to use the character map alt+0160 trick. What this means is hold down the Alt key then enter in 0160 using the number key pad to the right of your keyboard (not the number keys at the top of your keyboard). This will place a blank space before the next text you type. You may need to enter 0160 a few times while holding down the Alt key to get some decent space.

:?: <a name="eight">How do I use my own custom avatar?</a>

- Make sure you are logged in then click on the "Profile" link at the top of the forums. On that page scroll down to the Avatar Image section and either enter in the URL location where the avatar you wish to use resides or click Show gallery to select an Avatar from the existing gallery. Click the "Submit" button at the bottom of the page to save your changes.

You should not link directly to an image on someone else's website. You should upload the avatar you wish to use to a website that you control and use that URL. If you do not have access to anyplace you can upload an avatar image you can email me the image along with your user name and I will put it up on the Poetry pages website and send you the URL to use.

:?: <a name="nine">How to I find more poetry posted by a member?</a>

-If you read some poetry by a user and would like to find more poetry posted by them you can either:

a. While viewing a post by them click on the "profile" link/button in their post. When their profile comes up click on the "View posts by" link. This will display all posts by that member.

b. You can also click on the "Memberlist" link at the top of the forums then browse the member directory to find user's profiles. Once you find the user profile you are interested in follow the steps listed above to view their posts.

c. Click on the search link. Enter in the member's name in the Author field. For Topic Starter? select Yes. Choose which forum you wish to look for poetry from them in and Search. This will return a listing (max of 50) of the topics (poetry) they have posted in that forum

d. Check the Member Archive to see if that member has created one. A member archive is a listing of their poems they have posted with a link to the post it was made in. Many members will have a link to their archive thread in their signature in all of their posts.

e. See if they have a personal website, more of their poetry may be found there. Under their post, in the same area as their profile link you might wee a link to WWW, if they have a website and entered this information in their profile this link will take you to it.

:?: <a name="eleven">Can I use cuss words in my posts?</a>

- Yes and no. While foul language is allowed in your poetry if it is used in a "poetic" way, excessive foul language used just for the sake of cussing is not. Excessive foul language in discussions is not allowed and will be edited out if found too extreme. Remember that people of all ages view these forums.
Last edited by Berlie on Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
--------------------------------------------------
twisting the throttle
as I lean into the curve
bug SPLAT on my face
--------------------------------------------------
My Poetry Posts | My Poetry Vault | Self-Pub.net

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Post by heinzs » Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:59 pm

:bump:
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

heinzs
The Fat Cat

Post by heinzs » Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:06 am

refreshing

heinzs
The Fat Cat

Post by heinzs » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:18 pm

:bump:

heinzs
The Fat Cat

Re: Common Questions/Problems - Read First

Post by heinzs » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:33 pm

Note that when this post was first made the Board accepted html formatting. This version does not do so, so it looks funky. I will revise this post at some point but it is not at the top of my priorities list.

PP Admin

Return to “Problems or Questions”