Instructions for building an archive

This forum is an archive for members' topics.

Moderator: negatvone

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Instructions for building an archive

Post by heinzs » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:17 am

Building the Archive from scratch:

1. Open a "new topic" in the "Member Archive" forum and title it with your login name (It's easier to keep track of that way).

2. Open a second browser window and click on the "topics started by you" button at the top under and right of the "Poetry Pages" leaf logo.

3. Use the list to go to each topic in turn.

4. Click on the first poem you want to enter into your archive. When the poem comes up, click on the URL in the browser "Address" window and do a ctrl-c (copy).

5. Go back to the first browser window and in the topic text window enter

Code: Select all

[url=*paste the url you just copied here (ctrl-v)*]*Enter the title of the poem here*[/url]
6. Go back to the second browser window. Use the "back" button to return to the list of poems. Go to the second poem you want to enter and repeat steps 6 and 7 until all the poems you want are listed.

7. Scroll down to the bottom of the topic creation window and press "submit".

8. Return to the topic and test your archives and check that it looks alright. If not, use the "edit" button to fix the problems. Don't be afraid to ask me for help if you run into a problem you don't understand or can't get around.

Note: You can always add poems to your archive as you write them. Just ctrl-c the url in the address window and go to the archive, open edit, and paste in the new poem just like the old ones.

Maintaining your Archive:

To delete poems from the archive list, use the "edit" button on the archive topic and find and delete the entire url for that poem.

To add poems to the archive list, use the technique outlined above involving a second browser window for the url address and open the archive text window with the "edit" button.

When done, always press "submit" to record your changes.

Linking your archive or your Poets Page to your signature:

Once you have logged in hit the "profile" button at the top of the forums. This will take you into your own profile editing mode.

Scroll down to your signature window. Enter whatever text you desire. To link your Member Archive, use a second browser window to open your archive. Copy and paste the url into your signature like this:

Code: Select all

Enter introductory text [url=*paste your url*]enter text you want clicked on[/url]
Press the "submit" button to record your changes.

Check it out to see if the link works, and if not, try repairing the link. Again, if you run into problems you cannot surmount, let me know.

To link your Poets Page is a bit more involved since you need to get outside the frames to find the url of your page. I never could get Berlie's method of doing that to work, so I started a print queue from my page, and it printed the url as a footer. The other steps are the same as above.

Note: In both code cases above, ignore the asterisks... they are just there to indicate an instruction to you... unless you like asterisks in your text *grin*.

HeinzS
Last edited by heinzs on Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Re: Instructions for building an archive

Post by heinzs » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:28 am

Just a note: archives created by the above method are subject to topics being autopruned from forums wherein they reside. Please make note of this and keep your posts refreshed prior to their autoprune date.
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

Return to “Members' Poetry Vaults”