David Gilmour does William Shakespeare

A forum for our dear friend, Preston, also known as "The Texan" and a charter member of "The Westies". His inimicable wit will be missed.

Moderator: moonflower

preston
Forever Silent Friend

David Gilmour does William Shakespeare

Post by preston » Sat May 05, 2012 8:08 pm

For bags ... cuz he's such a Pink Floyd fan.

http://zen-haven.dk/david-gilmour-sonnet-18/

:computer:

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn
Tag line: Poet Laureate Nov 2011

Re: David Gilmour does William Shakespeare

Post by LadySaturn » Sun May 06, 2012 12:18 am

Hey, I like Pink Floyd too, damn it. :no:

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Sun May 06, 2012 4:39 am

Pink Floyd died when Syd Barrett left. Gilmore oughta stick to playing tedious guitar. :mrgreen:
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan
Your brain is like an umbrella. It only works when it's open- Someone Smart

Poet of the Month
March 2011

preston
Forever Silent Friend

Post by preston » Sun May 06, 2012 9:28 am

LadySaturn wrote:Hey, I like Pink Floyd too, damn it. :no:
I would have expected a much less narcissistic comment from someone who likes Pink Floyd.

:shrug:

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn

Post by LadySaturn » Mon May 07, 2012 12:13 am

And I would have expect someone who snoops through my room and supposedly knows me to know that I like Pink Floyd. :no: :smack:

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Mon May 07, 2012 7:28 am

"tedious guitar" says my bud bags, Even with a :mrgreen: I have never read a review or bio with the word tedious included in regard to the guitar playing of David Gilmour. Syd Barrett never left Pink Floyd he had a long term extended sick leave. Syd Barrett and David Gilmour were friends long before Pink Floyd. Syd Barrett founded Pink Floyd named after two blues players that he admired. David Gilmour played with his own group and soon left to join his friend Barrett in Pink Floyd. Shortly after Syd Barrett became ill and left. Gilmour has always been inspired by Barrett so this is why I say he never really left the band. As far as Gilmours musicianship goes I have seen him live with Floyd several times solo in a small theatre once. I have never seen anyone come close to inspiring me musically on guitar other than maybe Roy Buchannan, (but then he killed himself soon afterwards). Gilmour plays many instruments Keyboards, Sax, It is said that he has played a lot of the bass parts with Pink Floyd that most people would automatically think Roger Waters played on the recordings. In my book he's what Paul McCartney was to the Beatles and Barrett was his Lennon. Take Care
Take me back, so far back, adjust this fate. Afeared lately of pen, in abscence of light. The fear I might stumble upon a plagiarized soul. Wipe this dark slate clean, regain my thought. Add the words that rekindle my depth of soul.

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:56 am

MJPease wrote:"tedious guitar" says my bud bags, Even with a :mrgreen: I have never read a review or bio with the word tedious included in regard to the guitar playing of David Gilmour. Syd Barrett never left Pink Floyd he had a long term extended sick leave. Syd Barrett and David Gilmour were friends long before Pink Floyd. Syd Barrett founded Pink Floyd named after two blues players that he admired. David Gilmour played with his own group and soon left to join his friend Barrett in Pink Floyd. Shortly after Syd Barrett became ill and left. Gilmour has always been inspired by Barrett so this is why I say he never really left the band. As far as Gilmours musicianship goes I have seen him live with Floyd several times solo in a small theatre once. I have never seen anyone come close to inspiring me musically on guitar other than maybe Roy Buchannan, (but then he killed himself soon afterwards). Gilmour plays many instruments Keyboards, Sax, It is said that he has played a lot of the bass parts with Pink Floyd that most people would automatically think Roger Waters played on the recordings. In my book he's what Paul McCartney was to the Beatles and Barrett was his Lennon. Take Care

Didn't mean to offend Mikey. I know there are a legion of Floyd fans that disagree with my opinion. Honestly,...I tried to get into Floyd like everyone else was
I began to feel like an outsider until I discovered Lou Reed, and Patty Smith. Iggy was always been a big musical inspiration as well. Floyd songs just seemed to dirge on, and on, and on to me. Another band that I never really cared for was The Grateful Dead. I know thats completely sacreligious,...but it's the truth. Man,...I feel better now that I've confessed fully. :mrgreen:
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan

Poet of the Month
March 2011

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Mon May 07, 2012 8:55 am

Hello bags, I too was never a Dead Head. So what does that mean? Hmmm! I like Floyd but don't like the Greatful Dead. I get it the Dead is a jam band you got to be there live to appreciate them. I never saw the Dead so maybe I never caught on. Question for you my friend. Did you ever see Pink Floyd live and I don't mean on film. There is a unique feeling you get seeing and hearing them live just like a theatrical performance. Then it carries with you as you listen to the albums. :shrug: Drugs of various types can also help or so I've heard. :cheers:
Take me back, so far back, adjust this fate. Afeared lately of pen, in abscence of light. The fear I might stumble upon a plagiarized soul. Wipe this dark slate clean, regain my thought. Add the words that rekindle my depth of soul.

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:11 am

Never saw Floyd live. Perhaps that's the reason for my slanted opinion. I did see the movie they made way back in the mid seventies for theatrical release.
As I recall,...I fell asleep. Of course that may have been due to some outside influences other than Pink Floyd. I saw the Dead back in October of '72 at the old Boston Music Hall. I ended up walking out with a friend. For the first 45 minutes of the concert, all they did was play feedback through their amps. The deadheads in the crowd went crazy with every accidental that was played. I figure if I can't get into something when I'm as well lubricated as I was that night,
then there must be something wrong with what I'm listening too. :mrgreen:

Poet of the Month
March 2011

MJPease
Quixotic Rambler

Post by MJPease » Mon May 07, 2012 2:50 pm

I think the Dead must have gotten much better over the years. Garcia developed quite a fan base at least for neck ties as I can remember. The only album I ever bought of theirs was an 8-track "The Dead Live Dead" or something like that. Never got into it, that must of been back around 1970-71. I never paid any attention to the dead from that point on. Hey bags :lol: I'm not trying to say that your ears or your mind should enjoy anything just because my ears and mind does. Hey bags they're your ears do unto them as you wish. If we're ever on a road trip together we'll skip the floyd and load up on some extra Jackson Brown. Take Care

Sincerely

Michael J Pease

Bruno
MAXIMUS LUDICROUS

Post by Bruno » Mon May 07, 2012 10:46 pm

I always hated that sonnet! One of the corniest in all literature. If somebody wrote this on some poetry forums they'd be lampooned out of there in a hurray and singing it makes it sound even worse! Let's face it! Even Shakespeare could write crap which may sound like blasphemy but I'm not unique in that opinion. But equally true when Shakespeare is great he is nearly unapproachable. Poor slob! He never really knew how good he was.

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Tue May 08, 2012 5:07 am

When it comes right down to it. None of us know how good we are. Most just concentrate on what they can't do rather than what they can do. I agree Bruno,...even Shakespeare wrote some dogs. :thewave:

Poet of the Month
March 2011

Bruno
MAXIMUS LUDICROUS

Post by Bruno » Tue May 08, 2012 10:13 pm

bags123 wrote:When it comes right down to it. None of us know how good we are. Most just concentrate on what they can't do rather than what they can do. I agree Bruno,...even Shakespeare wrote some dogs. :thewave:
Whatever I can't do and want to do...which is allot, I make up for in my imagination! That's where poets & philosophers really excel! It helps to think of oneself as either one or the other...preferably both in case one of these two fine qualities has an off day. And if no one tells me how good I am it becomes necessary to do it myself - a ritual performed three times a day! Like a Chinese bureaucrat, I'm my own standing ovation! :shrug: :cool: :bow:

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:02 am

I agree. You're outstanding in your field. Where was that field again? Somewhere outside of Vancouver as I recall. :mrgreen:

Poet of the Month
March 2011

LadySaturn
Ruler of Saturn

Post by LadySaturn » Fri May 11, 2012 1:27 am

Play nice Bagsy boy or I'll force you to listen to crappy rap crap. :hello:

I have to give my dad credit for me listening to Pink Floyd and The Who and Supertramp and what have you. I grew up around it. He would always have his albums playing loudly through the house when either he was working on something like fixing a kitchen sink or cleaning. My mom was into the Beatles and Elvis.. Throw a little Motown into the mix along with some other stuff and voila, I had a little bit of exposure to almost every genre of music.

Return to “Preston, aka Jerry LaVergne”