I Ain't Afraid

Forum for spiritual, inspirational and religiously oriented poetry and discussion.

Moderators: gordy, DarleneG

Forum rules
Forum for spiritual, inspirational and religiously oriented poetry and discussion.
Autoprune 12 months
heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

I Ain't Afraid

Post by heinzs » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:24 am

Here are the lyrics to a song that has been running through my head for the past few days.

I Ain't Afraid

I ain't afraid of your Yahweh
I ain't afraid of your Allah
I ain't afraid of your Jesus
I'm afraid of what you do in the name of your God

I ain't afraid of your churches
I ain't afraid of your temples
I ain't afraid of your praying

verse
Rise up to your higher power
Free up from fear, it will devour you
Watch out for the ego of the hour
The ones who say they know it
Are the ones who will impose it on you

verse
Rise up, and see /find/ know/ hear a higher story
Free up from the gods of war and glory
Watch out for the threats of purgatory
The spirit of the wind won’t make a killing off of sin and satan

I ain't afraid of your Bible
I ain't afraid of your Torah
I ain't afraid of your Koran
Don't let the letter of the law
Obscure the spirit of the your love--it's killing us

Money
Culture
Choices
I’m afraid of what you do in the name of your God

Sunday
Spirit
Teachers

Sabbath
Borders
Dances
I’m afraid of what you do in the name of your God double

Children
Music
Stories

Free up
Free up
Let's try to be highly evolved
I ain't afraid

Written by Holly Near

Look it up on YouTube to hear it sung.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEJx8cYnUuE
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

Travis
The Transformed One
Tag line: The Truth Transforms

Re: I Ain't Afraid

Post by Travis » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:51 pm

Perhaps it is our perception that allows one to be deceived... I don't believe for one minute any of these beliefs are asking one to fear... Respect, yes... But not fear! By the way, as I am curious... Is it others you are trying to convince or is it yourself, Sir! Blessings to you!!!

-Travis :wink:
************************************************************************************
The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts. ~Marcus Aurelius

************************************************************************************

**Member of the Month**
May 2012

heinzs
The Fat Cat
Tag line: Do no harm

Post by heinzs » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:41 pm

lol, no Travis. I'm not trying to convince anyone, especially myself. I am most comfortable in my personal belief system, as I assume most others are within theirs. I think that this song is framed on the lack of basic differences between religions. We are all one under God regardless of what name we choose to put to his/her face. It is our behavior towards others in God's name that come to question. Would that we could all actually live under the gentleness and tolerance of Jesus's own words.

Cheers!

:thumbsup:
An' it harm none, do what ye will. Blessed Be.
My Poet's Page Archive | Topics I've started

DarleneG
65 Roses
Tag line: Encourage One Another

Post by DarleneG » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:11 am

:hello: Heinzs, How true! You explained it best. So I don't need to add anything. :thumbsup:
"Poetry is what in a poem makes your toenails twinkle."----Dylan Thomas
**Member of the Month**
July 2012

bags123
Insufferable Crouton

Post by bags123 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:16 pm

Excellently said Heinz!
I prefer to keep an open mind,....but not so much that my brains fall out.- Carl Sagan
Your brain is like an umbrella. It only works when it's open- Someone Smart

Poet of the Month
March 2011

Eternum 1
Black Ferret Poet

Post by Eternum 1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:07 pm

heinzs wrote:. I am most comfortable in my personal belief system, as I assume most others are within theirs. I think that this song is framed on the lack of basic differences between religions. We are all one under God regardless of what name we choose to put to his/her face. It is our behavior towards others in God's name that come to question. Would that we could all actually live under the gentleness and tolerance of Jesus's own words.

Cheers!

:thumbsup:
Basic karma as buddhist pilgrims might say, Heinz, is we can only choose a path for ourselves, not for others.

It doesn't matter to me if Jesus was married or not; nor does it matter if Mohamed really thought God spoke through him; or if Abraham was really going to cut Isaacs throat to toady up to his perception of the divine.

The 3 abrahamic offshoots follow the culture (and the violence)of their times as does the path or way of those who follow many hindu/pagan avatars.

Why would or should we fear another persons spiritual reflection, for that is what a personalized set of introspective beliefs are....a reflection of the believer...nothing more or less.

One religion size fits all aint never going to happen although it seems that people have forgotten the original translation of the word 'sin' (hamartia) is just a archers term for 'missing the mark' usually followed by the sage advice to 'try harder next time'.......indeed the whole concept of sin in western society is mostly a headline in the Enquirer or its gossip tee-vee equivalent. When modern religion is 90% finger pointing and less than 10% quiet introspection, it has become rabble rousing ; not something spriritually enlightening.

In point of fact, the absurd idea that if we don't see the world the through the same interpretive lens as a priest, a carrot juiced colonically cleansed prophet or the God of a 2000 year old flea infested sheep killing altar boy with a penchant for incest, is by theirprojected biblical/canonical definition, a sin against God...such a viewpoint is, well, anal retentive on a cosmic scale and piss drenched full of prideful vanity on par with the pronuncements of the chairman of the republican party...Beezlebub or Rush Limbaugh..two side of the coin.

I might even suggest that our temporal journey has some definitive purpose unconnected with a good vs evil dialectic and is not connected to instructions about gender roles or puritanical morality; it's a cosmic joke of epic proportion although our dualist evangelizing avatars are not known for cracking jokes except... in the case of Scientology...I mean cmon....seriously?...reallly?

do as ye will but harm ye none,

bb

ET

Bruno
MAXIMUS LUDICROUS

Post by Bruno » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:57 pm

Eternum 1 wrote: One religion size fits all aint never going to happen...
ET
...so true! and especially ironic in respect to planet Earth where ONE size does fit all. Since we can now see truly astounding images of Earth from outer space, you'd think we would gain some insight, learn something...but it ain't never going to happen. So who's the bigger failure? God or Man? Maybe the 6th day wasn't His best day after all. He should either have rectified the error or go into hiding...but isn't that what He's been doing all along?

The best way to come to terms with God is by respecting His creation. After all we're standing on it...but it ain't never going to happen!

Return to “Seeking the Spiritual”