Items of the Soul

Forum in memory of our dear friend, Tom. He will be sorely missed.

Moderators: thief of dreams, gordy

Tom Watson
Forever Silent Friend

Items of the Soul

Post by Tom Watson » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:59 am

I have decided to, on occasion, post articles or commentaries concerning those who have given much and have had so little.
This is the first ITEM OF THE SOUL:

Living for a Cause Greater Than Yourself
TGIF Today God Is First, by Os Hillman

He who is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and He will reward him for what he has done. - Proverbs 19:17

If you were God and you wanted to send one of your servants to help the less fortunate in the world, how would you train your servant for this task? Our ways are not God's ways. We find an interesting story in the case of Brigid, a woman born in the early 400's in Ireland.

Brigid was born from a sexual encounter between an Irish king and one of his slaves. She was raised as a slave girl within the king's household and was required to perform hard work on the king's farm. From the beginning, Brigid took notice of the plight of the less fortunate. She would give the butter from the king's kitchen to working boys. She once gave the king's sword to a passing leper-an act about which the king was enraged. The king tried to marry her off, but to no avail. One day, Brigid fled the king's house and committed herself to belonging only to Christ.

Brigid sought other women who also wanted to belong only to Christ. Seven of them organized a community of nuns that became known as the settlement of Kildare, a place where many thatch-roofed dwellings were built, and where artist studios, workshops, guest chambers, a library, and a church evolved. These and other settlements became little industries all to themselves, producing some of the greatest craftsmanship in all of Europe. Many of the poor had their lives bettered because of Brigid's ministry to them.

Brigid became a traveling evangelist, helping the poor and preaching the gospel. When she died in 453, it is estimated 13,000 people had escaped from slavery and poverty to Christian service and industry. Her name became synonymous with the plight of the poor. She was a woman who turned a life of slavery and defeat into a life lived for a cause greater than herself. She became a nationally known figure among her people, and the Irish people still recognize her each February 1.

God has called each of us to live for a cause greater than ourselves. If God asked you what you had done for the poor, what would you say? Jesus had a special place in His heart for the poor. Ask God how you might use your gifts and talents to improve the plight of the poor in your community.
Last edited by Tom Watson on Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Whispers of Love" a book of poetry expressing love of the heart and spirit is released worldwide on August 11, 2009. Visit my home page at
Books From Grace for more information or Amazon.com

Debbie
God's Poetess

Tom

Post by Debbie » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:13 am

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
This is so beautiful Tom..thanks for sharing this with us...and the ending is a good question to all...I actually posted a poem in General which talks about those I know who are doing just that...serving God by helping the poor...thanks again Tom...We must always be mindful of those around us who are in need.

Love your sister Debbie :hugs:

Reach Out And Love Someone
Slow Down And Look around
You Will Find Someone Who Needs You.....

IRME

Post by IRME » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:47 pm

Dang! :bow:

Tom Watson
Forever Silent Friend

Patience

Post by Tom Watson » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:37 am

ITEM 2 OF THE SOUL

God-Inspired Delays

Yet when He heard that Lazarus was sick, He stayed where He was two more days. - John 11:6

Delays in our life are not always easy to handle or to reconcile in our minds. Often, when God does not answer our prayers in the time that we feel He should, we appoint all sorts of characteristics to God's nature that imply He does not care. Such was the case with Lazarus' sisters when Lazarus became ill and died. Jesus was a close friend to Lazarus and his two sisters, Mary and Martha. (Mary, you may recall, was the woman who came and poured perfume on Jesus' feet.) When Jesus arrived two days later, Martha shamed Him by saying, "If You had come he would not have died." She implied that He didn't care enough to come when sent for. It was a matter of priorities for Jesus, not lack of love.

God often has to delay His work in us in order to accomplish something for His purposes that can be achieved only in the delay. Jesus had to let Lazarus die in order for the miracle that was about to take place to have its full effect. If Jesus had simply healed a sick man, the impact of the miracle would not have been as newsworthy as resurrecting a man who had been dead for four days. This is Jesus' greatest "public relations act" of His whole ministry. What many do not realize is that the key to the whole story is in the next chapter.

Many people, because they had heard that He had given this miraculous sign, went out to meet Him. So the Pharisees said to one another, "See, this is getting us nowhere. Look how the whole world has gone after Him!" (John 12:18-19)

If Jesus had not raised Lazarus from the dead, there would have been no crowds to cheer the Lord when He came into Jerusalem riding on a donkey.

God often sets the stage so that His glory is revealed through the events that He orchestrates. He did this with Moses and Pharaoh, allowing delay after delay for release of the Israelites from Egypt. He did this with Abraham and Sarah for the promised child, Isaac. God granted Sarah a baby past the age of childbearing in order to demonstrate His power.

God did this in my own life. He delayed the fulfillment of what I believed He called me to do for several years. But the delays provided the necessary preparation and greater glory that God was to receive. My friend, don't take the delays lightly. Do not faint as God places you in what seems to be a holding pattern. God is at work. God knows the purposes for His delays. Don't give up, for they are for His greater glory; so we need to remain faithful.
"Whispers of Love" a book of poetry expressing love of the heart and spirit is released worldwide on August 11, 2009. Visit my home page at

Debbie
God's Poetess

Tom

Post by Debbie » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:39 pm

Some said He was late..but the Saviour is always on Time..

Well done Tom I enjoyed this very much..and look forward to the next one.. :bow: :hello:

Tom Watson
Forever Silent Friend

Post by Tom Watson » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:14 pm

Adversity raises many things in our lives:

Anger what is in our plate
Disgust at what we need to eat
Voices crying out "why me?"
Envy for those we see at peace
Rebellion against those who offer love
Seeking what can be gained
Insight to look beyond the clouds
Trust that nothing will be more than we can handle
Yet another opportunity to demonstrate our Faith.

Seeing a Greater Purpose in Adversity

But Paul shouted, "Don't harm yourself! We are all here!" - Acts 16:28

Paul and Silas had just been thrown into prison. An earthquake erupted and the jail cell was opened. It's Paul and Silas' opportunity. "Deliverance! Praise God!" might be the appropriate response. But this is not what Paul and Silas did. In fact, rather than leave, they sat quietly in their cell area. The guard, in fear of his life, knew that it would be automatic death if prisoners escaped. Paul and Silas did not leave because they saw a higher purpose for which they were in prison. They were not looking at their circumstance; they were much more concerned about the unsaved guard. The story goes on to explain how Paul and Silas went home with the guard and his family. Not only did the guard get saved, but his entire household as well.

What a lesson this is for us. How often we are so busy looking for deliverance from our circumstance that we miss God completely. God is looking to do miracles in our circumstances if we will only look for them. Sometimes as workplace believers we become so obsessed with our goals we miss the process that God involves us in, which may be where the miracle lies. What if that bill collector who has been hounding you is unsaved and he is there for you to speak to? What if a problem account has arisen due to something God is doing beyond what you might see at this time? Our adverse situations can often be the door of spiritual opportunity for those who need it.

I saw this personally when God allowed me to go through a number of adversities. It took some time, but I saw some great miracles as a result of those adversities. When God said that "all things work together for good for those who are called according to His purposes" (see Rom. 8:28), He meant all things. It is up to us to find the "work together for good" part by being faithful to the process. In the next adversity you face, tune your spiritual antennae and ask God for discernment to see the real purpose for the adversity.

Gingy
Clearwater Poet

Post by Gingy » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:19 pm

great idea :grin:
gingy
People are going to see you, how they want to see you. Everyone is different and unique in their own way. But the people who love you and care about you, are whose opinions really matter.

Debbie
God's Poetess

Tom

Post by Debbie » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:41 pm

Tom Watson wrote:Adversity raises many things in our lives:

Anger what is in our plate
Disgust at what we need to eat
Voices crying out "why me?"
Envy for those we see at peace
Rebellion against those who offer love
Seeking what can be gained
Insight to look beyond the clouds
Trust that nothing will be more than we can handle
Yet another opportunity to demonstrate our Faith.

Seeing a Greater Purpose in Adversity

But Paul shouted, "Don't harm yourself! We are all here!" - Acts 16:28

Paul and Silas had just been thrown into prison. An earthquake erupted and the jail cell was opened. It's Paul and Silas' opportunity. "Deliverance! Praise God!" might be the appropriate response. But this is not what Paul and Silas did. In fact, rather than leave, they sat quietly in their cell area. The guard, in fear of his life, knew that it would be automatic death if prisoners escaped. Paul and Silas did not leave because they saw a higher purpose for which they were in prison. They were not looking at their circumstance; they were much more concerned about the unsaved guard. The story goes on to explain how Paul and Silas went home with the guard and his family. Not only did the guard get saved, but his entire household as well.

What a lesson this is for us. How often we are so busy looking for deliverance from our circumstance that we miss God completely. God is looking to do miracles in our circumstances if we will only look for them. Sometimes as workplace believers we become so obsessed with our goals we miss the process that God involves us in, which may be where the miracle lies. What if that bill collector who has been hounding you is unsaved and he is there for you to speak to? What if a problem account has arisen due to something God is doing beyond what you might see at this time? Our adverse situations can often be the door of spiritual opportunity for those who need it.

I saw this personally when God allowed me to go through a number of adversities. It took some time, but I saw some great miracles as a result of those adversities. When God said that "all things work together for good for those who are called according to His purposes" (see Rom. 8:28), He meant all things. It is up to us to find the "work together for good" part by being faithful to the process. In the next adversity you face, tune your spiritual antennae and ask God for discernment to see the real purpose for the adversity.
Tom this is so amazing...this is exactly what I've been reading and yesterday I gave one of my daughters this scripture to read..and we were discussing it today...and you come and place it in here..what a confirmation..thank you for being so obedient dear heart...God bless you..

:hugs: Love Your sis Debbie

Tom Watson
Forever Silent Friend

The meaning of Love

Post by Tom Watson » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:09 am

As Valentine's day comes upon us, let's see what love really means:
This week's promise: God pursues us with his love
What is your definition of love?

So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.

John 14:2 NLT

About this week's promise

A healthy definition of love is crucial to understanding the central message of the Bible. According to the Bible, love is not confined to sexuality, not is it primarily a feeling at all. The Bible teaches that love is a commitment. As a commitment, love is not dependent of good feelings, but rather on a consistent and courageous decision to extend oneself for the well-being of another. That commitment then produces good feelings, not the other way around. Jesus became the perfect demonstration of God's unconditional love for us by laying down his life for our benefit.

adapted from TouchPoint Bible with devotional commentary by Ron Beers and Gilbert Beers, Tyndale House Publishers (1996), p 1227

Debbie
God's Poetess

Tom

Post by Debbie » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:11 pm

Thank you for this wonderful message of what love is really all about..its not a sexual thing..but that of the heart...and unconditional...

"Greater love hath no man than this,
that a man lay down his life for his friends."

St.John 15:13

Wonderful devotion this is Tom... :hello:

Love your sis...Debbie :hello:

Alisdaire
Clearwater Poet

Post by Alisdaire » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:41 am

I think what most of us tend to forget, Is creation was established for Gods will, not ours, Its learning to give to others what God so freely gives to us.
That man to man the worl' O'er shall brithers be for a' that.
Rabbie Burns.

http://alisdaire.tripod.com/

Tom Watson
Forever Silent Friend

Post by Tom Watson » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:33 am

:book:
Is the Bible really God's Word?

All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives.
2 Timothy 3:14 NLT

The Word Transforms

Dr. E. V. Rieu was a classical scholar and translator for many years. He rendered Homer into very modern English for the Penguin Classics. Rieu was sixty years old and a life-long agnostic when the same firm invited him to translate the Gospels. His son remarked: "It will be interesting to see what Father makes of the four Gospels. It will be even more interesting to see what the four Gospels make of Father."

The answer was soon forthcoming. A year later, Rieu, convinced and converted, joined the Church of England.

In an interview with J. B. Phillips, Rieu confessed that he had undertaken the task of translation because of an "intense desire to satisfy himself as to the authenticity and spiritual content of the Gospels." He was determined to approach the documents as if they were newly discovered Greek manuscripts,. "Did you not get the feeling," asked Canon Phillips, "that the whole material was extraordinarily alive?" The classical scholar agreed. "I got the deepest feeling," he replied. "My work changed me. I came to the conclusion that these words bear the seal of the Son of Man and God."

From J. B. Phillips, The Ring of Truth. quoted by R. Kent Hughes in 1001Great Stories and Quotes , Tyndale House Publishers (1998) pp 28-29

gordy
Windfall Prophet

Post by gordy » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:28 pm

toms back..........and i like it!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
-----------------------------

My Jesus hung out with thieves and sluts and liars, which Jesus do you worship?

---Todd Agnew

Perfection is my enemy
Procrastination is his cohort
Persistence is my sword

---Gordy

Tom Watson
Forever Silent Friend

Post by Tom Watson » Thu May 04, 2006 12:46 pm

Today is our National Day of Prayer....I feel a bit of regret at the hypocrisy behind the term "National", what with all of the challenges to the very basis of this nation's existence...however, if we are to sway the tides that wish to drown God out of our national existence, prayer is the strongest force to use...
The following reports on another attempted drowning of the faith of two ladies...

This week's promise: God delights in those who honor him do not be afraid...
The Lord who created you says: "Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you."

Isaiah 43:1-2 NLT

Two Margarets

Margaret MacLachlan and Margaret Wilson, Covenanters in Wigtown, Scotland, were tried for their faith on April 13, 1865, for refusing to take the Oath of Abjuration, which stated that the Church of God is a department of the State. Found guilty of rebellion, attending field meetings, and worshiping in places other than a church, they were ordered to receive their sentences on their knees. When they refused to bow before anyone but God, they were forced down to their knees and then were sentenced to death by drowning.

On May 11, 1685, the two faithful Margarets were tied to posts and staked in the sea as the tide was rising. The older Margaret (MacLachlan) was farther out. They were given many chances to recant their beliefs, but they stood firm and resolute.

Margaret MacLachlan remained silent, her eyes closed throughout the ordeal, communing with Christ until death. As the tide rose eighteen-year-old Margaret Wilson began to sing a Covenanter rendition of Psalm 25:7. Then, she recited from Romans 8: "We are more than conquerors through him that loves us.…"
After the waves washed over her head, the soldiers pulled her out, pleading with her one last time to "pray for the king!" She prayed, but her pray was, "Lord, give him repentance, forgiveness, and salvation, if it be Thy holy will." The angry soldiers threw her back into the water, and she joined Margaret MacLachlan before the throne.

We may never face the rising tide of the sea, but the deep waters of trouble and loss can be just as overwhelming. How do you react when you feel you are about to drown in the rising tide of your own troubles?

Adapted from The One Year® Book of Christian History by E. Michael and Sharon Rusten (Tyndale, 2003), entry for May 11.

Debbie
God's Poetess

Tom Watson..

Post by Debbie » Fri May 05, 2006 6:01 pm

These to Margarets were certainly sold out to Jesus....
there are many martyrs today but it never hits the head lines to often.
As for our Nations they are in dire straights and need prayer indeed...God promised to protect the nations if they would just serve Him and reverence Him....but on the contrary they are taking Him out of everything...thus instead of protection will be judgment..and thus we need to pray indeed with all of our hearts in spirit and in truth..

They are even trying to take Christ out of the Time line

BC and AC

they want to change it to.....BCE ...before common era....
ACE....after common era....go figure that will ya....I tell ya Jesus is coming soon..they can't dispute the facth it was Jesus who split the time line no matter what...at least in my heart this is how I feel..

I enjoyed your write up dear brother...thank you as always for sharing such wonderful information... :bow: :bow: :bow:

Return to “Tom Watson's Whispers”